1.    #1  
    Hi folks,

as i have to calculate lots of interest-rates and exponential growing rates, but couldn't find a real good app for this purpose, I published my own one in the app-catalog today: "FinaMath08".
    Maybe someone will find it useful or/and may give me a feedback in this thread.

In the moment I'm also working on a "better" (and free) calculator, since those I found up today have several disadvantages.

Thanks in advance,

martux
    Quote Originally Posted by martux View Post
    but couldn't find a real good app for this purpose,
    Did you check out the free Cacl12C or Calc12CS. They emulate the HP12C financial/statistical calculator.

Using your example of $1000 deposit at 6% for 44 periods. That would be calulated as follows.

[XXX] represent the appropriate keyboard key.

[f][FIN] - to clear the finacial calulations
    1000 [CHS][PV] - present value
    6 [i] - interest
    44 [n] - number of payments
    [FV] -> 12,985.48 - future value

And saving $100 for 9 periods at 2%

[f][FIN] - to clear the finacial calulations
    100 [CHS][PMT] - payment
    2 [i] - interest
    9 [n] - number of payments
    [FV] -> 975.46 - future value
  3.    #3  
    hi johncc,

thanks for your feedback!
    during the first days with my pre i gave the hp-calc a chance,but like 20years ago,i can handle the ti58 input system better.
    is it also possible to calcalate the interest rate for regular savings with the hp-emulation? If the approximation for lots of periods/high interest rate is better than my regula-falsi-algorythm i think its worth a second chance.

best regards, martux
    Quote Originally Posted by martux View Post
    hi johncc,

thanks for your feedback!
    during the first days with my pre i gave the hp-calc a chance,but like 20years ago,i can handle the ti58 input system better.
    is it also possible to calcalate the interest rate for regular savings with the hp-emulation? If the approximation for lots of periods/high interest rate is better than my regula-falsi-algorythm i think its worth a second chance.

best regards, martux
    The Calc12C's can operate in either algebraic or RPN modes. (Although from my prejudiced point of view I would recommend getting a handle on RPN )

I am not a financial expert myself, but since the HP12C seems to have been the calculator of choice for financial people, I would be surprised if it could not handle anything that you threw at it.

Check out the manual here http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00363319.pdf.

This is the index section on Savings.

Section 15: Savings...................................................... 160
    Nominal Rate Converted to Effective Rate ..................................... 160
    Effective Rate Converted to Nominal Rate ..................................... 161
    Nominal Rate Converted to Continuous Effective Rate..................... 162

The Calc12C's are programmable too, so you can save the steps required to make a particular calculation (eg your regula-falsi-algorythm) and re-execute them at one key-stroke.
    Last edited by johncc; 11/04/2010 at 07:49 PM.
  5.    #5  
    hi johncc,

ok the hp-sim seems to be an effictive calculator for lots of mathematical purposes.
    My focus with FinaMath08 and the coming pro-version is the single task of an easy user interface for financial calculations.

for a similar reason I published today the touchscreen oriented calculator "2lineCalc" and opened an other feedback-thread for this.
    Its seems to me that with your hp-sim, you also dived in the depth of "interpreting mathematical inputs and presenting them correctly". maybe you will have a short look on it and tell me, what you think of my first step in this subject?

Thanx in advance, martux
    To be honest, I can't take a lot of credit, as I have just converted an existing web app to run on webOS. I'll have a look when I come across the thread
  7.    #7  
    dear communutiy,

last week i published the advanced version of this app: "FinMathPro" and opened a thread concerning this pro-version:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...inmathpro.html

may be someone is interested in this app and could give me a feedback?

thanks in advance, martux