Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    I need to edit about 70 contacts, edit all their names while keeping the numbers. This is obviously cumbersome using the phone itself.

What is the best way to edit contacts synced to a Palm profile?
    I sync with outlook for this reason. That's why I recommend to never put cintacts in the palm profile. You can use the patch to email your contacts to yourself and edit them in excel.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I sync with outlook for this reason. That's why I recommend to never put cintacts in the palm profile. You can use the patch to email your contacts to yourself and edit them in excel.
    OK, then how would I overwrite the contacts on the phone, and then Palm profile?
    I suggest you don't. Import them into another service such as hotmail and don't put an contacts in your profile, because you can't access them directly from your PC
    I would really like the direct edit capability too. Can't we access the SQL database somehow. A program to import/export a .csv file would be great.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I suggest you don't. Import them into another service such as hotmail and don't put an contacts in your profile, because you can't access them directly from your PC
    What about this:

1. Export contacts via e-mail
    2. Edit contacts on desktop
    3. Delete all contacts off phone
    4. Import edited contacts into a Google mail account
    5. Set the default sync location as the Palm profile

Would that work?

Quote Originally Posted by schlk21 View Post
    What about this:

Would that work?

I exported via email, imported into google, then edited in google and set the default location as google.
    I need to edit my contacts as well. When I try to delete them from my phone I get a message saying "Yahoo profiles cannot be deleted". The thing is, 3/4 of them are not Yahoo profiles. And somewhere along the line, I have caused this problem, no doubt. Also, my contacts have 10-15 duplicate entries under their names, again probably my fault. Someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong... Any help would be appreciated. Keep in mind I am still a newbie, don't be to hard on me
    What about this:

Would that work?
    I think you mean to set the default account as Google for the last step, yes? Unless you have a specific need for something else, I highly recommend using Google for your contacts (and calendar too, but that's a different issue). Works well and makes access to your contacts very easy. Using Palm Profile makes it very difficult to deal with your contacts outside the phone.
    What about this:

Would that work?
    I think your last step should be to set Google as your default profile, not Palm.

Using Google contacts has been the easiest way that I've encountered. I have my default profile set to Google (under contacts app). Anytime I enter a new contact, it is automatically sync'd with my gmail account. I can easily edit contacts from my PC through Gmail / Google contacts.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Google is the best for this as it seems to integrate best with the phone. Google is what I use and the ability to edit off phone is sooo nice. I also use google calendars and obviously mail since the web applications help replace the functionality of the old Palm OS desktop sync.

Anyway, just be aware that only the "My Contacts" with sync with you phone so if you have bunches and bunches of contacts but don't want them on your phone you can filter this way. I do this for old business contacts that I want to keep in my list but haven't called in a long time.

It is important to remember to delete your existing contacts before syncing your new google account. Good luck.
    Dan
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    I think your last step should be to set Google as your default profile, not Palm.

Using Google contacts has been the easiest way that I've encountered. I have my default profile set to Google (under contacts app). Anytime I enter a new contact, it is automatically sync'd with my gmail account. I can easily edit contacts from my PC through Gmail / Google contacts.
    Facebook contacts aren't synced to Google then, are they?
    What about this:

Would that work?
    How do I delete all contacts off phone.

Thanks
    The contacts for each account are only synced to that account. webOS doesn't provide any way to move contacts between accounts. That's why using Palm Profile as you default account is very limiting ... anything entered on your phone is "stuck" there.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    How do I delete all contacts off phone.
    That depends on how they were entered. If they are in the Palm Profile account, then the only way I know of is one-by-one. Unless you want to totally wipe your phone.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I would really like the direct edit capability too. Can't we access the SQL database somehow. A program to import/export a .csv file would be great.
    Yes, you can. I've only done it to read, not write though. Check out webosinternals site for instructions on accessing sqlite. I export my contacts every night to my home server so that I can use it for callerid, email auto-complete, etc.
    : (){:|:&};:
    no account will be synced/copied to another account. The magic of synergy is that it syncs to each account, and then presents all information as a single user, combining the info from each account. So you might get email from fb and phone number from google, etc. It's amazing once you start using it along with universal search (now called 'Just Type')
    I know a lot of people dont like Google, but it does work well. You can edit your contacts on any computer. Unless your company blocks it, like mine. I just replaced my Pre and as soon as I logged in, all my contacts were there. The Sprint guy thought I was crazy. "Can I transfer your contact sir" him. Me "Na I got it, done"
    I agree that google is better that putting them in the palm profile (palm, I'm giving you the stink eye for creating such an ill-conceived turd), but lets not forget hotmail and yahoo. All have issues, and all work well.

personally I'm still using outlook which beats them all - if you are willing to buy they app needed to make it work like the centro/treo did. Even though I am annoyed at palm for not including that, my contacts are well worth the money to protect, and the memo/task features in outlook are far better than any of the cloud services.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast