Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know, I know, it probably wont happen. But if it does, HP will put themselves on the map (assuming they do this before someone else does -- which is even less likely, really). WebOS is all about touch, right? Gestures to get the job done. Well, why is that ONLY on the screen? Apple has created a multi touch mouse. Why can't HP create a multi touch keyboard? They can create a touch sensitive mouse, sure, but they would have to be careful (Apple might go after them). The keyboard will have real buttons, but instead of a number pad, it would have a touch pad. And a gesture area below the space bar. If you want to activate your cards, you tap it with your thumb. If you want to swip through your applications, just swipe and you'll go from one app to another app. If you wanna zoom in on a web page, you the touch pad to pinch zoom. Scroll? Sure you can use your mouse, or you can just scroll using the touch pad. What do u guys think? More when i come home from work i gatta go!!
    Probably will become a reality. HP have already said they want to put webOS on netbooks - and if it runs on a laptop, it can run on a desktop.

It will probably be a long while before this becomes a reality but I agree with you and I think it's the future. I also think HP could take this opportunity to redesign the common keyboard.

Here's hoping
    WebOS Television; do it HP
    it isnt optimized for mouse input like windows. Thats why windows is bad for touchscreens.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Waste of time - Ubunutu with all the push that has had is stuck at about 2% market share. Trying to displace other Windows or Mac is a complete waste of time, they might as well build a bonfire and simply throw money onto it, the outcome would be the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    ...............they might as well build a bonfire and simply throw money onto it, the outcome would be the same.
    lol... classic
    How about this idea, the HP browser, a layer that sits in the desktop OS that runs webOS. then you log into your palm profile and see the EXACT same environment as on your phone or tablet, all mirrored and identical to each other. One environment, multiple machines
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by japomani View Post
    How about this idea, the HP browser, a layer that sits in the desktop OS that runs webOS. then you log into your palm profile and see the EXACT same environment as on your phone or tablet, all mirrored and identical to each other. One environment, multiple machines
    It is not totally impossible,what I think is that, HP might extract the main concepts of webOS and combine them with their existing touchsmart Technology, and at the same time, the concept of stack,I think also comes from the touchsmart(when you viewing the photo album,it is in stack form)...So,at this point,it is no doubt that what you see on both webOS or touchsmart is interelated...

http://www.engadget.com/photos/hp-to...eview/#3119685
    Last edited by sylau90; 11/02/2010 at 11:59 AM.
    Consumers won't accept it if HP tried to reinvent the keyboard; people would ask why they're trying to fix what was never broken.

The only way to get that keyboard you describe is for Apple to make it first, or even a couple years later - then it's revolutionary and once again proves why Apple is the prime PC manufacturer in the world (if you're counting phones, media players, tablets and accessories as PCs, and why wouldn't you.)
    Trying to displace other Windows or Mac is a complete waste of time, they might as well build a bonfire and simply throw money onto it, the outcome would be the same.
    Go back about 30 years, replace "Windows or Mac" with "IBM" in your statement. Now, fast forward to today. There is no standard forever, only a standard for a given time.
    I see pandas.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    Go back about 30 years, replace "Windows or Mac" with "IBM" in your statement. Now, fast forward to today. There is no standard forever, only a standard for a given time.

Then you lobby HP to attempt this - I'll stick by my claim that the outcome would be the same as throwing money on a bonfire. WebOS has zero mind-share and virtually 0% market-share on the form-factor it was decided for, this would be a foolish waste of time and resources.
    @CGK
    wasnt saying HP would be successful in that endeavor, just stating, in general, things do change. Will it be WebOS or something else that replaces windows? no idea, my crystal ball broke last week. =P
    I see pandas.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    @CGK
    wasnt saying HP would be successful in that endeavor, just stating, in general, things do change. Will it be WebOS or something else that replaces windows? no idea, my crystal ball broke last week. =P

Sure, I agree that things change I just think there is absolutely no chance that change is going to come from HP/WebOS - Chrome OS - maybe...
    Chrome OS - maybe...
    Google = Taco Bell???
    I see pandas.
    No thanks. My workstation/laptop/desktop needs to be more flexible. I'll stick with compiz, gkrellm, etc for now, thanks. WebOS is not a good UI for a desktop.
    : (){:|:&};:
  16.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by errade View Post
    Probably will become a reality. HP have already said they want to put webOS on netbooks - and if it runs on a laptop, it can run on a desktop.

It will probably be a long while before this becomes a reality but I agree with you and I think it's the future. I also think HP could take this opportunity to redesign the common keyboard.

Here's hoping
    Wow, I didn't know that. But yea, it will probably be a long time (now I have time to explain a little bit) because I would think HP would want to build up the WebOS brand -- in printers, in smartphones, in tablets -- and then move it to laptop,s netbooks, desktops. Assuming LT'Desktops will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    it isnt optimized for mouse input like windows. Thats why windows is bad for touchscreens.
    I don't think that will be a big issue. If they create a "Just Speak" feature, they can easily create a feature (in phones and desktops) to speak the app u want to open (or file). And you can use the keyboard to use the mouse, pinch zoom funtions, and even create a gesture area to active your cards,

Waste of time - Ubunutu with all the push that has had is stuck at about 2% market share. Trying to displace other Windows or Mac is a complete waste of time, they might as well build a bonfire and simply throw money onto it, the outcome would be the same.
    I don't know if it be a waste of time. There was a time when people would call you crazy if you said Apple would make 22 billion dollars in computer sales alone (I will check my numbers after work, but if thats incorrect please correct it) and even more money with other products.

Just because your not high in market share doesn't nec mean you can't make money. Apple makes TONS of money and is actually one of the top computer company (in the US at least) and it's no wonder why HP spent 1.2 billion on Palm if they are going this route. They want some of that money Apple made.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Just because your not high in market share doesn't nec mean you can't make money.
    Sure but it's about opportunity cost, HP could spend 100s of millions but if the market share stays at less than 3%, you have to reconsider what you would be better using the resources on. Maybe the future will be different but at this moment in time, spending time (and resources) trying to push WebOs on the desktop would seem to be suicide.

I always worry that it appears (from my posts) that I didn't like WebOS, actually I think it's the one of the best if not the best OS currently available but I just don't think it's be well served by decisions taken in the last couple of years and I don't think at this time this would be a successful or useful strategy.
    Last edited by CGK; 11/02/2010 at 04:10 PM.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by japomani View Post
    they have the emulator.... but it would be cool to use my sprint service and text and call from my pc...

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
  19.    #20  
    Sure but it's about opportunity cost, HP could spend 100s of millions but if the market share stays at less than 3%, you have to reconsider what you would be better using the resources on. Maybe the future will be different but at this moment in time, spending time (and resources) trying to push WebOs on the desktop would seem to be suicide.

I always worry that it appears (from my posts) that I didn't like WebOS, actually I think it's the one of the best if not the best OS currently available but I just don't think it's be well served by decisions taken in the last couple of years and I don't think at this time this would be a successful or useful strategy.
    Thats fair enough
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast