Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    PrePals:

Alas, with the soon to be released webOS 2.0 coming, I am in trouble. Classic will not run on 2.0. I need Classic to run Datebk6. Gotta have templates. Can't live without them. So, I have to stay on 1.45 until iPhone for Verizon, or switch to android. I will eventually run PocketInformant calendar app, which is available for Blackberry, iPhone, and now in beta for Android. Much as I would like to stay with my pre and webOS, the lack of a good calendar app will push me out. So, how do I block a firmware upgrade? I searched the forums because I remember a similar thread many months ago, but I just can't find it.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    To prevent the update, you need to have root access to the command line and enter the following commands:

Code:
    cd /usr/bin

mount -o remount,rw /

chmod -x UpdateDaemon

mount -o remount,ro /
    Then reset your phone

When you are ready to try the update, and let the phone get it re enable it with:

Code:
    cd /usr/bin

mount -o remount,rw /

chmod +x UpdateDaemon

mount -o remount,ro /
    and then reset your phone.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rksand View Post
    To prevent the update, you need to have root access to the command line and enter the following commands:

Code:
    cd /usr/bin

mount -o remount,rw /

chmod -x UpdateDaemon

mount -o remount,ro /
    Then reset your phone

When you are ready to try the update, and let the phone get it re enable it with:

Code:
    cd /usr/bin

mount -o remount,rw /

chmod +x UpdateDaemon

mount -o remount,ro /
    and then reset your phone.
    Perfect! That is what I was looking for. I understand how to do this, and can root access the phone. OK, when 2.0 looks like it is coming out for Verizon, I will run that code and block it. That will buy me some time to work out the transition to PocketInformant, on whatever platform I end up on! I'll miss webOS, but what can ya do? PocketInformant has made a wee bit of noise about coming out on webOS, but I suspect that will be a year away if ever.
    I'd be willing to bet there will be some homebrew enabling of Classic in 2.0 :-)
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    I'd be willing to bet there will be some homebrew enabling of Classic in 2.0 :-)
    I would think it will be difficult. Evidently the ROM needed is left out of the code. But I hope you are right!
    ~ I am satisfied with the present v1.4.1 OS.
    ~ I dont have the intend to update to v1.4.5 but had unintentionally hit the update function and the update patch was download.
    ~ My Pixi keep on asking me to "Start Update" or "Update later".
    ~ How can I erase that patch and stop the reminder?
    \\\\\\ thanks for your help /////////
    for what reason would you not want the latest update. They update things because they are making improvements,,making it better. Just curious that's all.
    skchan.... you should be able to follow the directions in the second post of this thread to block updates.

<threads merged>
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    When I switched from AT&T to Verizon last year, Verizon was no longer offering the Centro. So while I waited for the used Centro I bought of Ebay, I was using a Blackberry Storm. Terrible phone, terrible programs, terrible calendar and contacts. Pocket Informant was not much better than the built in Apps. Honestly, I can't see what anyone likes about the Blackberry. I was very used to using Agendus for almost 10 years and once I found UberCalendar, I finally, though not easily, left Agendus behind. I still have some very important programs that I will still need to run in Classic, since no WebOS version exist or a comparible alternative. So I will be using 1.4.5 and keep my fingers crossed. This is such a great community and the Homebrewers are what has made my Pre go from a basic phone barely better than the Blackberry, to an incredible phone that I think is better than the iPhone and even the popular Androids.
    Fingers crossed, keep up the great work!!
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
    Could this be done as a webOS program with a toggle to turn updates on and off. Seems like there would be a demand from those who can't leave Classic behind.
    I would love a patch or app for this too. I'm not sure how to 'root' my Pre yet. I'm sure I could figure it out if I had too but a patch or app would be soooo much easier for me & I bet, others too.
    Quote Originally Posted by becrazy2 View Post
    I would love a patch or app for this too. I'm not sure how to 'root' my Pre yet. I'm sure I could figure it out if I had too but a patch or app would be soooo much easier for me & I bet, others too.
    same here, even I dont know how to do it ............ plz let me know through this thread .... thanx
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    for what reason would you not want the latest update. They update things because they are making improvements,,making it better. Just curious that's all.
    Probably if you want to be able to continue to use Classic, as it the 2.0 update disables that app.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by rksand View Post

You can do that using the Terminal app, right?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Is it really worth blocking a major update?
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UltimateOreo View Post
    Well, if you look at my original post, yes. I need to use Classic for Datebk6, which is my most important app. It will not run under webOS 2.0. So, I cannot update to 2.0. Just buying time until I can run PocketInformant for iPhone or Android on Verizon.
    I depend on handbase for my business, there is no replacement. Oh no wait ported to windows iphone android.... not to the original palm hmmm.

so how do I get to the root, use command line?
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by afoulds View Post
    I depend on handbase for my business, there is no replacement. Oh no wait ported to windows iphone android.... not to the original palm hmmm.

so how do I get to the root, use command line?
    As far as I understand, the easiest way to get this is to do the following:
    1. Put your phone in Developer mode (Konami code, etc..)
    2. Connect to your PC with the USB cable / select 'just charge'
    3. Run WebOS QuickInstall
    4. Use the command line tool -- my understanding is that it gets you terminal access as 'root' It's been a while since I lurked around there (I do most things OTA vs. USB), but, I seem to remember having the famous Root-hash (#) showing in my terminal.

To answer some of the earlier questions.
    I'm a user who is looking forward to WebOS 2.0 greatly and plan to install it soon after it's released. The operative word is soon. I was burned by 1.4.5 OTA. In summary, I had a bunch of patches on my phone (1.4.2) and I then went on vacation. On my return -- jetlagged, etc.., I turned my Pre on to have it tell me there was an update. I told it 'later'. It said it would install on the next boot. I proceeded to turn it off and not think about it / next boot: I had a surprise install screen and fitting words to go with it.

Long story short: until Palm allows 'later' to mean more than 'next boot', there are some of us who will want to delay the install long enough to take proper backups, uninstall patches etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    Yes, in general, one would hope an update would improve things. In the case of Classic, HP's decision to not support it with 2.0 means 1.4.5 is the end of the rocky, webos road for me. PALM-OS is mission critical for me.
    I would have thrown this stupid phone against a wall a long time ago if it weren't for classic. Running PALM-OS inside of webos made the pre tolerable. As soon as I can transfer and run all of my years of data, including the datebk calendar, I'm switching to whatever os has it.
    Quote Originally Posted by UltimateOreo View Post
    Be grateful you never came to rely on PALMOS so much that it is more important than any update, any operating system, or even any device.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast