chmod -x UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /
    that swieder's code?:

Code:
    cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod -x /usr/bin/UpdateDaemon
    killall UpdateDaemon
    Its not my code. I pulled it from an earlier thread.

I needed the full path in chmod for it to work: chmod -x /usr/bin/UpdateDaemon
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    @cmahy & afoulds -

I think the point here is in the name itself, classic. You are emulating an old operating system running old software that is at its end of life. Here is a link to keep outlook in control of your cloud Getting started with Google Calendar Sync - Google Calendar Help and it auto sync's on a timer to boot. As for offline sync'ing all I can say is that its WEBos, the phone is online 24/7, unless you are entering events from a laptop on a fishing boat in the middle of the pacific I don't really see the problem, and if you are, perhaps companion link fits the bill since you can do everything in outlook and sync it to the phone over usb.

As for the handbase thing.. I will be honest, I find it very concerning that something running on a phone could be so make or break for your business. The rest of the world does just fine without handbase but since you have sunk so much into it I guess you are pretty screwed in terms of updating. Thats not a dig at you but it might be something to think about migrating from in the future if you can.

Since webos is just a mobile flavor of linux it would really be to your benefit to learn linux. The phone is more powerful than anyone here could begin to describe and with a bit of linux experience under your belt a question like "can i stop it from updating" would be answered instantly with "oh yeah I can just remove the execute bit from the updater"

Quote Originally Posted by serial View Post
    @cmahy & afoulds -

As for offline sync'ing all I can say is that its WEBos, the phone is online 24/7, unless you are entering events from a laptop on a fishing boat in the middle of the pacific I don't really see the problem,
    I live in Glasgow Scotland there are lots of places I don't get connectivity to the net, hospitals don't like you to use phones, nor do you get reception on a plane, so that means I cannot use google search and find out what I have got on in an useful way.

As for the handbase thing.. I will be honest, I find it very concerning that something running on a phone could be so make or break for your business. The rest of the world does just fine without handbase but since you have sunk so much into it I guess you are pretty screwed in terms of updating.
    You see that just makes me think that you have never realised how useful a palm sized computer can be. I could carry my netbook with me but I would look pretty silly with that dangling from my belt. I could write it down but then I would have to do the job twice, it isn't the software I like, it is the ease of working.

Since webos is just a mobile flavor of linux it would really be to your benefit to learn linux. The phone is more powerful than anyone here could begin to describe and with a bit of linux experience under your belt a question like "can i stop it from updating" would be answered instantly with "oh yeah I can just remove the execute bit from the updater"
    have you looked at a car engine lately, no cos you can't see it they cover it up because there is nothing you can fix, I started on DOS, I like not having to work at that level, because I have moved on and progressed to a nice GUI

It is the fact that it was there and it worked and then they just remove it that is annoying. If it wasn't there, I would not have moved down this route.
    Have anyone read this thread here to keep Classic on webOS 2.0?
    Really, for ME, other than the Video that was added in one of the major updates, NONE of them have really added anything signifigant enough to make me think twice about blocking a 2.0 update, if it meant losing Classic. I too rely on Classic, for my EZ Remote Access and my wwCalc program.

Unless and until a new WebOs device comes out on Sprint, I am perfectly happy with my lovely, perfectly working original Pre, and will stay with it as long as I can, with 1.4.5
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Dropping back into this thread -- have been away for a bit. With the up-coming rumours of a possible 2.1 WebOS coming, I'll make use of the 'update blocking' tips until the software I need becomes 2.x compliant.

Serial -- FYI, this has nothing to do with Classic or old-software emulation. This has everything to do with a Native WebOS software package (Chapura). Although the developer claims 2.x support is immanent, it has not arrived yet. As long as I wish to continue using my Pre+ as a fully PIM-functional device (Cal, Tasks, Memos & Contacts) integrated with both Outlook & Google, I need to ensure my 2.x upgrade happens after Chapura releases a new version.
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
    Quote Originally Posted by cmahy View Post
    Dropping back into this thread -- have been away for a bit. With the up-coming rumours of a possible 2.1 WebOS coming, I'll make use of the 'update blocking' tips until the software I need becomes 2.x compliant.

Serial -- FYI, this has nothing to do with Classic or old-software emulation. This has everything to do with a Native WebOS software package (Chapura). Although the developer claims 2.x support is immanent, it has not arrived yet. As long as I wish to continue using my Pre+ as a fully PIM-functional device (Cal, Tasks, Memos & Contacts) integrated with both Outlook & Google, I need to ensure my 2.x upgrade happens after Chapura releases a new version.
    have you looked into Uber calendar?
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bodyshop View Post
    have you looked into Uber calendar?
    Yes.... thanks. If I had to choose only one patch for my Pre, it would probably be the one I install. It makes the WebOS calendar that much more useable. That said, for day-to-day 'heavy-lifting' no mobile OS & device can compare to the ease-of-use of a desktop interface such as Outlook: hence the requirement for my Pre and Outlook to synced in some fashion (be it through the cloud or directly).
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123