Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sad how a year later important apps like this aren't on webos. We really need more major devs
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dndrich View Post
    I would think it will be difficult. Evidently the ROM needed is left out of the code. But I hope you are right!
    unless classic gets coded different...

but i guess HP doesn't like palm at all(changing palm webOS to hp webOS)

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    i want to block the update for a few reasons...i forgot why now...lol...

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rksand View Post
    To prevent the update, you need to have root access to the command line and enter the following commands:

Code:
    cd /usr/bin

mount -o remount,rw /

chmod -x UpdateDaemon

mount -o remount,ro /
    Trying this using the linux command line in WOSQUI, I am doing enter after typing in each line as shown above and get error message saying UpdateDaemon no such file or directory, help please.
    its a bit quiet round here, I'm in UK and rumours have started about an imminent update! I downloaded Terminal and all the instructions were accepted. I will only know for sure when it doesn't update.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by afoulds View Post
    Trying this using the linux command line in WOSQUI, I am doing enter after typing in each line as shown above and get error message saying UpdateDaemon no such file or directory, help please.
    If the first command worked (cd /usr/bin), your prompt should change to:

root@palm-webos-device:/usr/bin#

If it has, then it should be able to find UpdateDaemon. Remember that capitalization matters.
    I'm on unsupported network and since Palm have removed carriersettings.db from 2.0 I have to block update to preserve data connection over 3G, until there is a way to enter connection settings.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rksand View Post
    To prevent the update, you need to have root access to the command line and enter the following commands:

Code:
    cd /usr/bin

mount -o remount,rw /

chmod -x UpdateDaemon

mount -o remount,ro /
    Then reset your phone

When you are ready to try the update, and let the phone get it re enable it with:

Code:
    cd /usr/bin

mount -o remount,rw /

chmod +x UpdateDaemon

mount -o remount,ro /
    and then reset your phone.
    For us non programmers, is there someone in the Fort Laiderdale area that can do this (for a fee)?
    Quote Originally Posted by ashi View Post
    If the first command worked (cd /usr/bin), your prompt should change to:

root@palm-webos-device:/usr/bin#

If it has, then it should be able to find UpdateDaemon. Remember that capitalization matters.
    the prompt didn't change as you describe, so that might be the reason, as my other post though, I downloaded terminal via preware and the commands were accepted. So be brave in Fort Lauderdale, it is just like working at a DOS prompt like in the old days. Hmm does that make it worse or better
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I need to download preware and the through preware download terminal?
    Quote Originally Posted by comptuter View Post
    I need to download preware and the through preware download terminal?
    yes
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Thanks

Is there a link to download Preware?
    Quote Originally Posted by comptuter View Post
    Thanks

Is there a link to download Preware?
    start here http://www.precentral.net/how-add-ho...hes-and-themes

there are the usual caveats which make it look a little scary, I have been using apps and patches from here and have no problems. You will end up with an app on your phone called preware, start this up and it will load up a list of apps much like the app store. type terminal on the first page and it will find it for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by dndrich View Post
    Much as I would like to stay with my pre and webOS, the lack of a good calendar app will push me out.
    I don't understand this. At all. What in the holy mother of all mothers does a "good calendar" entail exacty? What's so wrong with the calendar now that makes it an absolute deal-breaker? I just don't understand this huge "calendar" argument. Is the calendar really THAT important to you people?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UndeadCircus View Post
    I don't understand this. At all. What in the holy mother of all mothers does a "good calendar" entail exacty? What's so wrong with the calendar now that makes it an absolute deal-breaker? I just don't understand this huge "calendar" argument. Is the calendar really THAT important to you people?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    This is more than just calendar. This is PIM (Personal Information Management). As noted earlier by 'pretarded', some of us really bought into the Palm way of life --- permanently. The fact that Palm doesn't consider that paradigm to be a priority any more doesn't change the fact that we depend on these tools.

For me, it is Calendar + Tasks + Contacts + Memos. I have > 2,000 calendar events since Jan 2010 as well as multiple hundreds of tasks, etc... that I use heavily.

If it wasn't for Ubercalendar (thanks, Metaview) and Chapura PocketMirror (or equivalent), I'd still be toting my Palm T|X to manage PIM data.

Regrettably, unless you enjoyed the benefits on PIM on PalmOS + Hotsync, you just won't understand what you're missing. It was that good for it's time. The reason: PalmOS grew up from being a PDA to becoming a phone. All other smartphones grew up from being phones that tagged on a calendar & other stuff.

With WebOS -- lots of the PIM tools started pretty junior. Some enhancements have been made over the versions, but, a stock install of WebOS 1.4.5 is still a poor replacement. I'm sad to say this, but, the only thing Palm has in their defense here (a poor defense at that) is that the other guys (iOS, Blackberry, Android & WM7) don't appear to be doing much better.

Don't get me wrong: I love WebOS and think it's the best thing out there. The fact that I can patch it to be a functional PIM tool is awesome. It's just sad to me that so few of you know what you're missing to be upset.

As for specifics, I'll name a few samples:
    -Stock calendar week view doesn't even show event names (Ubercalendar takes care of this)
    -Stock Calendar has no ability to search the calendar (workaround provided with 'Agenda' HB)
    -Stock Calendar has no Agenda view (Agenda HB covers this)
    -Tasks & Memos default apps are toys vs. real tools.

I'll stop my rant now --> certainly a bit of a thread hijack.
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
    Regarding the calendar - you must evolve into the cloud. This is the basis for the new webos way of life versus palmos.
    I appreciate the response. However there is no way I'm evolving into the cloud. Until Palm fixes their 'cloud' I just won't use it. I sync all of my contacts and calendar events with Google. The thing that really deterred me from using Palm's shoddy backup application is the fact that anytime I do a restore on my phone, it seems to want to install all kinds of crappy apps that I may have downloaded and used for 2-3 minutes and deleted after just wanting to check them out. Now anytime I want to restore my phone, I have to go in and disable ALL of those crappy little apps from downloading.

So no, I won't buy into the cloud way of life. Not until it's actually functional.
    Quote Originally Posted by randolphslim View Post
    Regarding the calendar - you must evolve into the cloud. This is the basis for the new webos way of life versus palmos.
    this is my second shot at this reply my first one didn't send, good job as I am a bit calmer now!

I quoting not to get at the poster but because it is a summary of the approach smart phones take. The issue we have is that this approach is less useful and so I would not look at it as an improvement. I used to teach, I would set up my timetable in datebk6, 6 classes 2 or 3 times a week, 42 weeks a year, insert holidays take about an hour. I could then look in year view see holidays, teacher days, school days. I could see my wekly timetable colour coded and iconed for each class, I could list a specific class and see what had been taught and what was planned. The response was instant push button see result. This cannot be done on a smartphone, in palm webos it can still be done with classic.
    Ubercalender is useful hopefully it can keep progressing. Google calender search is good but slow, and if you can't connect you get nowhere.
    All my students were loaded into handbase and I could then take register follow attendance, homeworks, test marks on the palm. I now run a business and keep all my records in handbase. There is nothing to compete with handbase, My Databank has my support (monetary) but it has a long way to go.
    Smartphones are at the moment nothing more than a toy they used to be a tool, that is why us dinosaurs don't want to evolve. Why be a puny Homo Sapiens when you can be a T Rex.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    AFoulds. There should be no surprise that I agree with you. Having said that, I evolved less with PalmOS (I never strayed beyond Palm desktop PIM functions), but, still felt the pain with WebOS. I'm happy to say I found (with Ubercalendar + Agenda + Chapura + Google Sync) a solution that works as well (if not better) for me with WebOS than it did with PalmOS.

Having said that: randolphslim -- there's one critical thing you're forgetting. Cloud or not, the fact remains that a Smartphone has a tiny screen & a tiny keyboard compared to my PC. I never see a Smartphone OS replacing Outlook -- it's merely my mobile extension. The fact remains that I do far too much 'stuff' in my calendar & other PIM tools --> so, my primary input mode is via keyboard (on my PC). Yes, I love the fact that I can to go Google Calendar (online) OR onto my Pre to update a calendar event & have it magically sync to where it goes. But, at the end of the day, when I really need top-horsepower, I boot up Outlook, get it to take temporary ownership of my calendars (ie: sync from the cloud to local) and go from there. Call it a hybrid cloud/sync mode if you want, but, web-only editing of PIM data just doesn't cut it for a bunch of us.

Please don't take this personally, but, every time I hear comments like yours "you must evolve into the cloud", I don't hear advice, I hear a lack of comprehension of what PIM tools can do -- that info. seems to have become lost knowledge.
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
    This procedure works correctly. Can be done from QOSQI command line:

From the Linux command line enter:

cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod -x /usr/bin/UpdateDaemon
    killall UpdateDaemon

Hit enter twice between each line to get me back to a root prompt.

If you disabled your update you might want to re-enable it at some point.

cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod +x UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /

Then restart your phone and automatic updating should be back.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast