Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    I think once people grasp how "Just Type" and "Quick Actions" work and apps start building for them, people (especially people who use social networking) are going to go crazy for WebOS.

    Imagine the demo of a WebOS phone versus an iPhone to see who can post a twitter and facebook update faster.

    iPhone
    -------------
    1. Open twitter app
    2. Wait for it to log in, load latest tweets
    3. Click "update" icon
    4. Type "Here's my update"
    5. Click submit/hit return

    (facebook's essentially the same)

    WebOS 2.0
    ---------------
    1. Type "Here's my update"
    2. Click the twitter "Quick Action" icon

    And that's it!
  2. #2  
    more like:

    WebOS 2.0
    ---------------
    1. Type "Here's my update"
    2. Click the twitter "Quick Action" icon
    3. Wait for twitter app to open with "Here's my update" prefilled in the update field
    4. Click submit/hit return

    Not to rain on your parade, but it looks like thats how its going to be so far.

    It should still be more efficient though!
  3. #3  
    I agree I thought it worked just like th eOP said until I saw the video demo. However, it still is better than iOS. I am waiting for them to implement Just talk/Just Speak where I can say "twitter" followed by a message which is automatically posted or "search" or "map" or "call". Waiting for an update anxiously
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    more like:

    WebOS 2.0
    ---------------
    1. Type "Here's my update"
    2. Click the twitter "Quick Action" icon
    3. Wait for twitter app to open with "Here's my update" prefilled in the update field
    4. Click submit/hit return

    Not to rain on your parade, but it looks like thats how its going to be so far.

    It should still be more efficient though!
    that's how the current apps have been handling it, but i see no reason why an app couldnt be written to update immediately after being opened. its up to the developers.
  5. #5  
    Palm can make the native apps to work differently/more efficiently but 3rd party apps will need to be changed/updated.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    that's how the current apps have been handling it, but i see no reason why an app couldnt be written to update immediately after being opened. its up to the developers.
    +1

    developers could make it do all the brainwork in the background and pop up a notification confirming it's been posted. Roight?

    what I'd like to see is a lyrics app integrated into just type, I'm always searching lyrics to songs - would take the whole google step outta the equation
  7. #7  
    Reaslly depends on how effective the marketing is. Palm had all sorts of differentiating features when they first releaed WebOS, but never marketed any in particular effectively, so when Droid came out bragging about universal search and multitasking, they snatched those crowns from Palm.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    more like:

    WebOS 2.0
    ---------------
    1. Type "Here's my update"
    2. Click the twitter "Quick Action" icon
    3. Wait for twitter app to open with "Here's my update" prefilled in the update field
    4. Click submit/hit return

    Not to rain on your parade, but it looks like thats how its going to be so far.

    It should still be more efficient though!
    Not quite. It might work that way but some of the reviews imply that quick actions will allow developers to code a special, quick loading piece of code to handle just those quick actions so the whole app doesn't have to be loaded.

    Among the many Just Type enhancements is a powerful feature called Quick Actions. Start an email, create a message, update your status, search your favorite websitesóall without having to launch an app.
    Intro to HP webOS 2.0 - HP Palm Developer Center

    Obvious actions, like a Twitter client that allows you to update your feed without all of the intermediary steps to get there
    webOS 2.0 review -- Engadget
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbohsp View Post
    +1

    developers could make it do all the brainwork in the background and pop up a notification confirming it's been posted. Roight?

    what I'd like to see is a lyrics app integrated into just type, I'm always searching lyrics to songs - would take the whole google step outta the equation
    That was my understanding from the reviews but we'll have to wait until there's some official word on this. I might be wrong (if so, that's a real shame).
  10. #10  
    Yeah definitely possible, I hope. I'm just saying, as of RIGHT NOW the Facebook app has to pop open for this to happen, etc.

    I know for a fact developers can get this to happen automatically in the near future though.

    We won't know till someone breaks open some WebOS 2.0 features...
  11. #11  
    I wonder if I or other users will be put off by how many things to do pop up with just type.

    either by os or patches, might be benefitial to try to clean it up. Maybe it should give you the categories of just type when you type, and make it look like universal search now, giving you the option to search websites, search apps, or perform a quick action. You tap on one of those, and the category will expand to show you all the options you've included in the configuration app
  12. #12  
    I do agree for sure this takes what their original plan with universal search to the next step.

    however, they best get on it asap as I'm sure the other os's will copy very soon (android and notifications to name one)
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    I wonder if I or other users will be put off by how many things to do pop up with just type.

    either by os or patches, might be benefitial to try to clean it up.
    Did you not watch the video? You set up your preferences on what you would like to pop up. Either you have to limit what people can do (a la Apple) or allow them to customize (a la Palm). Palm chose the latter. Once you customize it, it will be clean.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    Did you not watch the video? You set up your preferences on what you would like to pop up. Either you have to limit what people can do (a la Apple) or allow them to customize (a la Palm). Palm chose the latter. Once you customize it, it will be clean.
    i think patricksmangan has a point. yes apple limits what you can do, but the user is never confused. It's not to much of a stretch to think that some users will be overwhelmed or underuse the features if they aren't displayed in some obvious way. Heck, there are plenty of people who still don't know about universal search in webos
  15. #15  
    YES I did watch the effing video... I'm talking about customizing and how we could do it.... I like exploring these ideas, and in doing so, I think I'm in that palm customability vein...
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    I wonder if I or other users will be put off by how many things to do pop up with just type.

    either by os or patches, might be benefitial to try to clean it up. Maybe it should give you the categories of just type when you type, and make it look like universal search now, giving you the option to search websites, search apps, or perform a quick action. You tap on one of those, and the category will expand to show you all the options you've included in the configuration app
    Watch Dieter's demo: you can remove any apps you want from showing up in quick actions (or add any that enable it).
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    i think patricksmangan has a point. yes apple limits what you can do, but the user is never confused. It's not to much of a stretch to think that some users will be overwhelmed or underuse the features if they aren't displayed in some obvious way. Heck, there are plenty of people who still don't know about universal search in webos
    Really? Like when I'm in Email and I want to change some settings so I have to go back to the home screen, find "settings", then find the "Mail and Contacts" and click that, then find the account and change the settings there?! iOS is not a more clear system by any means.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Really? Like when I'm in Email and I want to change some settings so I have to go back to the home screen, find "settings", then find the "Mail and Contacts" and click that, then find the account and change the settings there?! iOS is not a more clear system by any means.
    i thought we were talking about displaying the "search" and "quick actions" in a way thats more obvious. many users might not know that quick actions exist because once you start "just typing" they along with the preferences appear at the very bottom of the list; below your contacts, below your apps, below the default search options. With the current setup its possible that many users wont know quick actions exist (similar to how Palm is including a just type bar to make it more obvious). It seemed to me the he was suggesting that after you 'just type', you would be greeted by a choice of Apps, Searches, Quick Actions. Tapping on one of those would cause it to expand revealing your options in each category.

    This way people see everything they can do with just search upfront.

    I'm not sure what iphones email settings have to do with this discussion. when i mentioned apple, i was talking about the UI itself. It's not confusing. believe it or not, a lot of people "don't get" webOS. i don't think your original response had anything to do with his suggestions. I don't think he was saying that there were too many quick actions, i think he was saying that if the apps, search options, and quick actions were minimized at first, users would know that all of those categories exist.

    this suggestion isn't unlike the very conserns stated in every webOS 2.0 review i've read.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 10/29/2010 at 08:18 PM.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Watch Dieter's demo: you can remove any apps you want from showing up in quick actions (or add any that enable it).

    I'm aware of that, I'm not talking about that. Mhunterjr clarified what I'm talking about..

    im just saying, in 2.0, i might want a patch or preference option for this

    Last edited by patricksmangan; 10/29/2010 at 07:58 PM.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    I'm aware of that, I'm not talking about that. Mhunterjr clarified what I'm talking about..

    im just saying, in 2.0, i might want a patch or preference option for this

    I can see the benefit of that. I wouldn't want that to be the default though as it's an extra click, but it'd be a good preference setting.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions