1.    #1  
    Hey Palm! I love WebOS, but I want a phone with a bigger screen. If I knew what/when you were going to bring out then I could make a decision on waiting or buying another phone. Instead, I just see cool hardware I could get today and I think that Android isn't THAT clumsy to use.

I know Apple likes to keep it's phones a secret, but they already have lots of good hardware on the market.

Take a tip from Microsoft and announce what you are going to be selling so you can freeze the market for those who your future products.
    If you have interesting/unique ideas or innovations, you want to be the first to bring it to market and don't want your competition to start developing their response/copy until your product is already on sale.

iPhone 4 had innovations like their "retina" display and FaceTime that were first to market and/or better than what others had produced. If they had announced those features months in advance, other manufacturers would have a head-start on integrating those items in their own products.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    HP Palm needs a marketing strategist analogous to Steve Jobs. He keeps suspense in tight reign until he announces his new device. He then makes the new device available within a month. I've heard it questioned repeatedly why Palm announced the Pre in January during CES, and waited 5 months before making it available?
    Quote Originally Posted by txba539 View Post
    iPhone 4 had innovations like their "retina" display and FaceTime that were first to market and/or better than what others had produced. If they had announced those features months in advance, other manufacturers would have a head-start on integrating those items in their own products.
    Happened anyway, EVO, EPIC, MyTouch 4G as well as other have video chat as well.

Apple is all about creating hype for there products, they have big galas to introduce new products/innovations/magic and then they announce a launch date, sometimes as soon as the same day.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    The market only doesn't allow for companies to announce products ahead of time as to what they plan to do or bring out.

Also other companies don't allow it to happen, it's a cutthroat business and every company wants to be the one on top, announcing what you are planning to do six months down the road gives your competition six extra months to prepare for what you are going to be bringing to the table.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    you also have to keep it secret to enforce your IP rights.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Agreed. Regardless of the reasons, the consumer is the one who loses out when these kinds of tactics are employed. Complete blackouts are REALLY annoying. If I were out of contract right now, I would get something that's currently out, and not twiddle my thumbs hoping for some announcement from the manufacturer of my current phone that might or might not come. All they have to do is say "we're expecting to release X phones in X form factors within X months" to get people to wait a little longer and remain loyal. No risk of losing your IP rights there.