Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    As of now I must restart my pre daily (sometimes more) as it tends to bog down.

I leave aprx 6-7 cards open and I'm assuming this may be the culprit.

With webOS 2.0 you can have stacks and I can't see how this would be more efficient if one must reboot daily and then reopen all the cards (stacks).
    A lot of the stuff that bogs the Pre down is the Java based services(not Javascript) that run in the background that handle a lot of the core features of the device like the phone app. They plan on dropping this completely and going straight Javascript to help boost performance and efficiency.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    A lot of the stuff that bogs the Pre down is the Java based services(not Javascript) that run in the background that handle a lot of the core features of the device like the phone app. They plan on dropping this completely and going straight Javascript to help boost performance and efficiency.
    Do you happen to know if this is already implemented on webOS 2.0 or will this be on a future build?
    it depends on wht you call more efficient, for UI purposes it is more efficient and easier to use. For rebooting you will still need to open the apps...

however the JVM (Java) has been removed and replaced with a faster and less memory intensive system, that's what speeds up boot time, and will make the email/phone and many other apps, alot more smooth. Removing the JVM will use less RAM and reboots sould be needed less, (unless we get flash and you inssist on keeping flash pages open)
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    Do you happen to know if this is already implemented on webOS 2.0 or will this be on a future build?
    it is in the current build, you see the faster boot time in Dieter's videos
    honestly, WebOS is a lot like a PC OS... you leave it on too long and it gets bogged down.

Honestly just download Preset Reset from Preware, and set it to restart every morning at 4am.

This just really helps make things run fast, and I think that it should really just be baked into the phone, to restart silently if its plugged in at 4am.

OR some kind of memory management like JSTop that cleans up memory daily.
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    it is in the current build, you see the faster boot time in Dieter's videos
    This will definitely be refreshing. I don't feel like I need to restart the phone every day, but webOS 2.0 will definitely help. Still, it's nothing like having to restart BB...
    restart is simple and painless with the preset reset app. my pre restarts every night at the same time while i am sleeping,,,and it does not affect any alarms u might have set.u can set any particular app to auto open after the restart if u wish. very nice little app.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Don't be ridiculous. It's probably the applications you have open.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    restart is simple and painless with the preset reset app. my pre restarts every night at the same time while i am sleeping,,,and it does not affect any alarms u might have set.u c
    an set any particular app to auto open after the restart if u wish.
    very nice little app.

autostart app to open?

what's name of app or patch?
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    autostart app to open?

I had trouble opening apps with Preset Reset, plus you have to find the app ID and enter it into Preset Reset. Can't change the order, etc.

I use Mode Switch to launch apps on Luna restart. Much more user friendly.
    autostart app to open?

Preset Reset
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    I reset my pre minus like once every 4 days to a week, so I don't see why webOS 2.0 and especially the pre 2 would have to do it everyday.
  14. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Just curious, what apps are you leaving open and why? I know others do this too but I have a hard time understanding the reason.
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by mk3 View Post
    Just curious, what apps are you leaving open and why? I know others do this too but I have a hard time understanding the reason.
    some people use apps like timepiece,,,awsome alarm clock app,,i can see people wanting that one to reopen.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Preset Reset
    thanks,pretty much thought I said name of app in my comment,guess he missed it,lol
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mk3 View Post
    I leave the following open:
    email
    mesg
    calendar
    classic todo
    3 websites (3 cards)
    scratchpad
    google docs speadsheet
    absolute fitness
    I restart my pre only when the battery runs out, which is every Saturday and Sunday mid-day when I'm on top of a mountain somewhere (the only time I stray from my touchstones for more than a couple hours).

Then again, I'll admit it: I don't leave any cards open. None. Yet, full multitasking is still fundamentally a requirement of a mobile operating system for me to be happy. I'll launch a flurry of applications as needed to get a task done, but when I'm done with said task, they all disappear.

I do have plenty of apps that run in the background and launch themselves when the phone boots though:
    - google latitude assistant updating my location every 20mins
    - newsroom to notify me of new precentral blog posts
    - tweed to notify me of DMs

The phone never seems to slow down. My iPhone 4 would reboot itself once or twice a day when something crashed badly, but not the Pre.

Sure, the slowdown shouldn't happen, but maybe think about changing your usage habits a little to make it less annoying?

I just had to sign in and post about how happy I am that they're getting away from Java
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    some people use apps like timepiece,,,awsome alarm clock app,,i can see people wanting that one to reopen.
    I use Preset Reset and Timepiece every day. Timepiece alarms still function even after a full reset without having Preset Reset open the app. Just FYI for people who happen to read this.
    In many cases a full restart isn't needed, a Java services restart or Luna restart would suffice.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation