Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    My mom was at the Sprint store today and asked about the PalmPad there. I am saving up for it. One of the employees said if you bought it you would need to pay $60 a month for the Air Card in it. I'm assuming that the air card connects the device to the internet, so does this mean that the PalmPad will be able to be bought thru sprint? (And I would get the wifi version anyway)
    i sure hope it does mean that. although, having to use the air card seems silly. i hope they build it with cell radios. 4g and 3g. and wifi. and throw in some cookies. mmmmmm, cookies... :d
    No, because Sprint reps aren't the best source of information.
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    No, because Sprint reps aren't the best source of information.
    Exactly. The Palm Pad doesn't even have a release date yet. Also, I don't believe any tablet would need to use an Air Card. Those are usually for laptaps. If the Palm Pad doesn't have a cellular radio built in, they would probably sell you a mobile hotspot, sort of the way Verizon is doing with the iPad.

Until the Palm Pad is announced or released, a Sprint rep is probably not the best person to ask about these things.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    thanks for the replies!
    It would be fairly absurd to assume the PalmPad wouldn't at least have the option for a 3G radio, i.e. the iPad. It would simply be a bad idea for HP/Palm to release something that is any less spectacular than their main competitor's product (just go ahead and forget about the Galaxy Tab). It would also be safe to assume that any carrier that will oversee the data network for the PalmPad would probably charge a special device-specific price a month to use it. Apple really does have it right (besides the whole AT&T bologna) - two variations of the same device and two contract-less data plans to choose from.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    But since sprint has 4G, would an air card work with 4G? And can someone please tell me what an air card actually is?
    an air card is PCMCIA card that you put in a laptop to get cellular data signal. For data on the go.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    This can also come in the form of a USB device that looks like a stick with a USB plug on it.
    I suspect the rep was generalizing the built-in radio as an air card.