1.    #1  
    Obviously I don't understand all the logistics behind all this stuff, but I was thinking:

If Pre 2 released on SFR in France, running 2.0....that means 2.0 is in a finalized version right? So why wouldn't Palm (or HP) coordinate worldwide with carriers etc to release all at once? That way everyone could get the update OTA or buy new devices and everyone is on the same page.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    If you think about it, WebOS 2.0 would keep many people from upgrading to the Pre 2, since the only things the Pre 2 brings to the table is a glass screen and stock 1GHz. Those with an older Pre or Pre Plus can generally run at 1GHz, so the ONLY difference the Pre 2 has that makes the phone really different is WebOS 2.0.

You also have the problem that Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T can't be bothered to release updates in a reasonable amount of time. How long did it take before WebOS 1.4.5 was available after being given to the carriers?

The problem isn't with Palm, it is with these cell phone carriers holding up the works!
    The wait for an update ( I can't remember the version 1.3 I think?)that was the worst was NOT 1.4.5, but the one that involved opening up the app catalog to the rest of the world. THAT, although not technically by time, was THE longest wait, for me.

edit -- remember the app catalog when all it had in it were free apps? I try not to.
    As I said in another thread, Rogers getting the pre2 will make these waits even worse. Imagine how much harder it will be to take when the guy next to you has all the new functionality goodness that an update brings while you sit there with an almost identical phone that Bell has lost interest in supporting.
    I have no interest in switching to Rogers or to even get the new phone ( I actually still like my centre button). I can accept that someday hardware will come out that will use a version of webos that my phone can't handle and I will then have to decide whether or not the new bells and whistles are worth forking out money.Now is not that time.
    What I will have a hard time with is waiting needlessly for upgrades just because my carrier drags their heals for no good reason.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Nono, I imagine that we won't get the 'full featured' version of webos. I believe we'll be stripped like how apple does it.
    I wish palm would just release the doctor to the public when the update is given to the carriers, with all liability on me if I install and anything goes wrong. I'm mostly on wifi..my carrier is all ways becoming less a part of my phone
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    I wish palm would just release the doctor to the public when the update is given to the carriers, with all liability on me if I install and anything goes wrong. I'm mostly on wifi..my carrier is all ways becoming less a part of my phone
    Carriers pay for exclusivity. Enough said.
    France is Palms beta testers right now.

So at least they will fix all the bugs when we get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    France is Palms beta testers right now.

So at least they will fix all the bugs when we get it.
    we're gna start offending french dudes if we keep saying that, lol. I think hp just is more global than palm was in relation to global carriers, and sfr just happened to release the pre 2 first.
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    I'm mostly on wifi..my carrier is all ways becoming less a part of my phone
    Agreed. I'm using my Pre on Tmobile US Prepaid (I pay about $16 a month), without data, and it's still an amazing device, and it's still way better than the ones people using their droids and paying $1500 over the course of a year.