Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. nitu's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
       #1  
    I noticed that when you set a wallpaper, image quality is not the same as the original ... a bit more blurry, and you get some artifacts.

    While this is not dramatic, it annoys me, is there some method to let not just "compress" the image?

    Tried with the same image in various formats (jpg, png), and it allways shows the same artifacts.

    The example (zoom in your browser to see more detail):
    Here is the original wallpaper



    And here is the capture of how it gets artifacts when applied to background :



    Notice the white lines around and under the birds?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nitu; 10/28/2010 at 02:55 AM.
    Show must go on...
  2. #2  
    Set the wallpaper via Screen & Lock app, not the Photos app.
    Last edited by NachoB; 10/28/2010 at 07:19 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

    HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  3. nitu's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Set the wallpaper via Screen & Lock app, not the Photos app.
    still get the same artifacts
    Show must go on...
  4. nitu's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
       #4  
    can't believe there isn't a patch for this
    Show must go on...
  5. #5  
    Sorry, but I can't see what you are talking about. In case anybody is interested, here's the 320x480 version that I made while trying to see what was going on.

    Attached Images Attached Images
  6. #6  
    How large is the image on the phone? I would go with johncc and try to size it to 320x480 on your own, using GIMP, Photoshop, or your image editor of choice. I have a lot of really nice wallpapers with no compression artifacts, and I can only assume the people who prepared those wallpapers did so trying to avoid those artifacts.
  7. #7  
    From the original post, both pics are 320x480. You do need to zoom in to really see the artifacting though (but it is visible - some banding around the power lines), so re-sizing it wouldn't make a difference in this case. I don't think homebrewer's would be able to patch it, since it's the Wallpaper service that does the job of setting a wallpaper. What is used for the wallpaper is definitely a copy of the original picture file and based on the attached examples, the service must do some additional processing/compressing.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    From the original post, both pics are 320x480. You do need to zoom in to really see the artifacting though (but it is visible - some banding around the power lines), so re-sizing it wouldn't make a difference in this case. I don't think homebrewer's would be able to patch it, since it's the Wallpaper service that does the job of setting a wallpaper. What is used for the wallpaper is definitely a copy of the original picture file and based on the attached examples, the service must do some additional processing/compressing.
    im getting 320x400 for the original
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    im getting 320x400 for the original
    Ditto. Must have a Pixi
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

    HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  10. #10  
    Yes, sorry, I meant both original pics were the same size, so resizing wouldn't help the OP.
  11. #11  
    So I just saved this image to my own phone to see the problem in action. The picture file itself is exactly the same in ".wallpapers" folder as it is wherever else you save it, so the compression artifact is a result of whatever service is actually displaying the background. You can view the two separate files in Internalz and you won't see the artifact. The only time you'll see the artifact is while it's being displayed as your device's wallpaper.
  12. nitu's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    How large is the image on the phone? I would go with johncc and try to size it to 320x480 on your own, using GIMP, Photoshop, or your image editor of choice. I have a lot of really nice wallpapers with no compression artifacts, and I can only assume the people who prepared those wallpapers did so trying to avoid those artifacts.
    It's the exact size of the screen : 320x400

    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Ditto. Must have a Pixi
    correct

    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    So I just saved this image to my own phone to see the problem in action. The picture file itself is exactly the same in ".wallpapers" folder as it is wherever else you save it, so the compression artifact is a result of whatever service is actually displaying the background. You can view the two separate files in Internalz and you won't see the artifact. The only time you'll see the artifact is while it's being displayed as your device's wallpaper.
    it's exactly like your a describing it

    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    From the original post, both pics are 320x480. You do need to zoom in to really see the artifacting though (but it is visible - some banding around the power lines), so re-sizing it wouldn't make a difference in this case. I don't think homebrewer's would be able to patch it, since it's the Wallpaper service that does the job of setting a wallpaper. What is used for the wallpaper is definitely a copy of the original picture file and based on the attached examples, the service must do some additional processing/compressing.
    I too think the service does additional processing/compressing, maybe I am too picky, but it's something I see many times a day .

    Thanks everyone for the testing
    Show must go on...

Posting Permissions