Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    I wanted to bump this thread because, yet again, I am having hardware problems and getting fed up. I really don't want to change mobile OSes but the hardware unreliability has got to stop. This latest handset will no-longer connect to WiFi regardless of any settings. I've reset my router, changed SSID's, passwords, opened the network entirely and more and my phone still says "Association Failed". My wife's Pre doesn't have this issue. My friend's iPhail 4 connects without an issue. I'm on my laptop connected to that network right now. I've doctored my phone as a final step and it still doesn't work. ARGH!!!

As I said in my original post I LOVE webOS. It's just so elegant. I love the gestures. I love the clean interface. I love the lack of widgets all over the place (must admit, bought Active Card 2 based on TheKeithNewman's Recommendation and hate it, sorry). But the hardware is horrendous. I had considered switching to Verizon to try for a Pre 2 but, from a cost standpoint, it would be crazy to do so.

I don't want to go to Android, I really don't. I'm invested in webOS, both in terms of apps and emotionally. I like webOS. I've converted 5 people to webOS. Hell, I was on the intro of the Palmcast 2 weeks ago! I've been holding out hope for CES but according to every indication Palm/HP will not be debuting any new hardware. This has me really frustrated and frankly fed up. Palm and HP don't owe me anything. I'm not a long-term Palm owner. The Pre was my first Palm device. I just really, really, really, really don't like Android. Opinions? Options? New info that might cheer me up??
    Running Homebrew on my Pre, Wii, PSP and DS. The DS ruined the rhyming that was going on there...sigh.
    Make them replace it. restoring to a new phone is not difficult. No reason to accept hardware that doesn't work. Refurb means as good as now, not used or defective. IMHO
    Slightly bigger screen, a litle wider so the keyboard is not as cramped, virtual keyboard for landscape mode and I am good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgaryk View Post
    This has me really frustrated and frankly fed up. Palm and HP don't owe me anything. I'm not a long-term Palm owner. The Pre was my first Palm device. I just really, really, really, really don't like Android. Opinions? Options? New info that might cheer me up??
    Well like the rest of us, if you love webOS and want to see what's around the corner then CES or whatever HP deems to use as a PRPRPR $platform$ $in$ $the$ $next$ $few$ $weeks$ $will$ $be$ $your$ $best$ $bet$ $in$ $terms$ $of$ $how$ $long$ $you$ $will$ $have$ $to$ $endure$ $current$ $hardware$.

I hear ya as far as Android is concerned and agree that it is god-awful. Have you had a chance to check-out Windows Phone 7? You might be pleasantly surprised.
    Last edited by foosball; 12/23/2010 at 10:09 PM.
    rcgaryk: Maybe try an Android device for 30 days and see how that goes. There's also the iPhone. Maybe you'll like one of them after a while more than you thought. The platforms are more established and have well-featured APIs as well, so you'll have that going for you as well. There's also Blackberry and WP7 phones. Maybe you can try giving those a shot. If you really, really, really like webOS phones, then you can always come back later when things are more developed. After a year and a half it still seems like a platform in its infancy. By choosing another phone now, you don't have to go through the growing pains as apps, API changes, and developer interest change, if they do at all.
    Maybe instead of getting it replace, you could get it repaired? My phone literally died, it wouldn't turn on, so I sent it in to Palm Repair and it came back good as new, hasn't given me problems since. You bought your phone more than a year ago, so it's probably gonna cost you (I haven't heard of them waiving fees after warranty, but you never know...), or you could have Sprint/VZW/AT&T techs take a look at it. If they offer to replace, tell them you want a repair, you've had enough with replacements.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Make them replace it. restoring to a new phone is not difficult. No reason to accept hardware that doesn't work. Refurb means as good as now, not used or defective. IMHO
    That would make 11-handsets in 18-months or so. That's not acceptable by any stretch of the imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    I hear ya as far as Android is concerned and agree that it is god-awful. Have you had a chance to check-out Windows Phone 7? You might be pleasantly surprised.
    No WP7 handsets available for Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    rcgaryk: Maybe try an Android device for 30 days and see how that goes. There's also the iPhone. Maybe you'll like one of them after a while more than you thought. The platforms are more established and have well-featured APIs as well, so you'll have that going for you as well. There's also Blackberry and WP7 phones. Maybe you can try giving those a shot. If you really, really, really like webOS phones, then you can always come back later when things are more developed. After a year and a half it still seems like a platform in its infancy. By choosing another phone now, you don't have to go through the growing pains as apps, API changes, and developer interest change, if they do at all.
    Tried Blackberry before buying the Pre, also didn't care for it. As I mentioned no WP7 phones for Sprint and I will not buy an iPhail.
    Running Homebrew on my Pre, Wii, PSP and DS. The DS ruined the rhyming that was going on there...sigh.
    just wanted to throw a mini story in here. i've had my pre for about 1 year now. i got it as a replacement for a touch pro(ew) and i've loved it since i got it. i was the first of my relatives to get the phone, and since then my best friend went and bought the phone, my dad just went and bought the phone, and since my dad and i both have pres and touchstones my brother got all ****y about his samsung moment and asked for a pre for xmas.

i find it kind of crazy that everyone around me who has seen and played with my phone has decided that it has been better and more fun than their phones/the other possible sprint phones, and went out and got a pre for themselves. even my brother who has had the 'honor' of using the beloved android for the past year decided that his not-so-cutting-edge mobile OS is not as cool as webOS and it's smooth gaming.
    I'm on my original Pre + and have never had an issue (crossing my fingers). I wonder why some people are always replacing their pre. Bad luck? I can see maybe one or even two replacements. But when you get into the 10 range. hmmm. Don't be buying any lottery tickets. lol

ET
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgaryk View Post
    That would make 11-handsets in 18-months or so. That's not acceptable by any stretch of the imagination.
    Then you have your answer - if it's unacceptable, that means you cannot accept it. If you cannot accept it, the only solution is to change the situation. Go get a new phone. Seriously, what's the point of discussion if your phone is broken and getting it replaced again is unacceptable?
    I myself am considering the 100 mile drive for a repair. I tell people I'm on my 13th phone, but really only my 3rd and 2 of them I lost. See the 'refurbished' 'good as new devices' I've had enough with, I seem to be lucky if they last more than 2 months, if they even work when they get here! Seems every replacement shows up with with a defect, this one has something behind the touchscreen, so when you touch it anywhere the screen squiggles like it's being touched.... I've had it for 3weeks now, wonder how long this one will last lol. I have 2 other pres on my acount and a pixi, not a single problem with them. So annoying.
    BUT, thanks to the palm profile and Save/Restore, each time I get a new phone it only takes moments to have the phone ready to use and filled back up and patched so it's a small price to pay to have the device I want.... Still wish I had a treo pro rocking webos...lol
    I was gonna leave until I realised I should wait for some LG Tegra 2 speed goodness:3
    The thing that totally amazes me is that Palm is letting the carriers run dry of any palm pre devices. What this means for the current pre customers is that there phone better not break or there is no chance of getting another one. Sure you can send it away to get it fixed at a two to three week wait. Most of the people that I know use there phones for work and can’t be without a phone for that length of time.

My suggestion to this problem would be for palm to get the pre 2’s to Sprit, AT&T, and Verizon as soon as possible. (IE: First few weeks in January). Ok lets assume that perhaps WEBos 2.0 isn’t fully baked yet and they don’t want it out in the masses yet. Then ship them with 1.4.5 to be updated OTA “in the coming months”.

It just seems totally irresponsible for both the Carriers and Palm to continue to force the customer to make a choice of 1) go to a different carrier who can support the HP Pre 2
    2) Switch to a totally different phone IE: Android.
    Ok, so you don't like your current phone or any other phones? I have you considered this:

Been a Pre user since July '09. Loved my phone, used it all the time. I guess I was lucky that I got one that held up well. Never had to exchange it or have it worked on. About 2 weeks ago the power button stopped working. Called Sprint and they wanted $100 to fix it. Really aggravating not being able to turn the screen off when you are thru to conserve battery power. I tried the paper fix but it did not work for me. Decided I would go take a look at an EVO. I came home with it as Radio Shack had it on sale. Decided I would try it out for 30 days. I have had it for 6 days now and must say I am impressed by it. It is no where as easy to use as WebOS but it is a pretty awesome phone. I am planning to wait until after CES to see what happens there. Was really depressed hearing Palm doesn't have anything to show. Figured I would take the EVO back after Palm made their announcement about their next big phone. Still waiting for CES and praying for some kind of miracle. Feel like a traitor moving to this phone but if Palm doesn't show anything I am feeling more and more like I am going to keep the EVO.
    Personally I have seen a stock Fascinate which is NOT impressive and a tweaked Fascinate that is fantastic. Once you load a new kernal on it there is nothing you can't do on these phones.
    Sure there OS is NOT as polished as webOS is with all the cool things you can do in webOS, but it's not as bad as all that trust me.

Android once changed from the manufacturer interface is awesome. I can only hope HP/PALM bring something comparable to the table for hardware etc bla bla bla but "coming soon" is wearing very very thin and getting very very old.
    Last edited by TheVTech; 12/24/2010 at 05:15 PM.

Samsung Fascinate Rooted
    Quote Originally Posted by tlgrooms View Post
    ... I am planning to wait until after CES to see what happens there. Was really depressed hearing Palm doesn't have anything to show. Figured I would take the EVO back after Palm made their announcement about their next big phone. Still waiting for CES and praying for some kind of miracle. Feel like a traitor moving to this phone but if Palm doesn't show anything I am feeling more and more like I am going to keep the EVO.
    Unless/Until you hear "nothing to show" from Palm or HP, don't take the story to the bank. Lots of rumors floating around, and unfortunately, it appears the naysayers get most of the bits on the forum itself.

I don't think I've seen a headline on this website yet that says there's nothing for Palm to show at CES.
    I was on the same boat, and what pushed me over the edge was the lack of apps. Initially I disliked android but I think a lot of us just need time with it before forming our opinions. There is a universal search feature called gesture. It is made by google and can be downloaded from the app store. I went through a few handsets and I just don't have the time to play quality control for Palm. Only thing I really miss is the the lack of cards but good hardware, every app I need, and being able to download anything from any page makes it very efficient. Lol expandable memory doesn't hurt either. I am interested in playing with webos 2.0 which is why I am holding onto my handset.

I do love the sleek look of the Pre and do like the actual keyboard, but God that slider caused me so many issues.
    Just wanted to bump this thread, my Pre is over a year and half old, no issues, solid hardware and I love webOS, how it just flows, simple and efficient. Many of us feel the same in here.
    I am also bumping this thread, my Pre Plus is almost a year old, no issues, solid hardware and I love webOS; it just feels right. I am one of many who feel the same here. The phone is the perfect form factor for me
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast