Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. AZ8
    Quote Originally Posted by Huff View Post
    Ya, I'm jealous WebOS doesn't have 100 apps that make a farting sound. Cut out all the useless apps or scores of essentially duplicate apps and the count drops WAY down. Also, WebOS with Classic runs the 50,000 or so Palm OS apps. Probably FAR more than that as theres no accurate record of such apps (no such thing as single app store for such).

The apps I need are for the most part available for WebOS and its growing daily.
    Your view as a current smartphone user. However, there is another group.

Most cell phone owners are NOT smartphone owners. So when that person decides to purchase a smartphone, apps is a major marketing incentive to buy said phone. I represent that market.

300,000 iOS vs 100,000 android vs 5,000 webOS plays a big part in decision making, IMO. If it didn't matter, they wouldnt waste their time advertising!

Despite what is read on this site and other 'geek' or 'nerd' related websites, the majority of future smartphone owners dont really care about..."rooting a phone"..."overclocking"..."install a custom ROM"....etc. Most people simply want a cool phone, with a bunch of cool apps and is actually used as a phone, while still enjoying the latest in phone technology.

So, yeah, to me as a future smartphone owner....5,000 apps raises some questions: Why does this platform have so little? Whats going on with webOS to not be in the same ballpark as other competing OS's? You might have the greastest OS. So how come it can't compete?

These are rhetorical questions. Asked among those of us not yet in the smartphone ownership demographics.

Thats the market webOS should concentrate on. Because we represent the greatest growth for any platform. 80% of us don't own a smartphone.....yet!

Thats what I meant by saying...."This is a glaring problem for webOS"

Ironically, the following thread has nearly 800 replys and over 46,000 views.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...-wishlist.html

Perception is everything!
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Seriously, the pre hardware is, for the most part, garbage. I too am a launch day owner, I went through a good number of them, as has my wife, my brother, my brother-in-law, and my sister-in-law.
    Comments like this just make me wonder what in the world people do with their phones. I've had mine since June 2009. It took over a year for my USB port cover to break off and a little crack to appear because I dropped it or leaned up against something when it was in my pants pocket, but that's it. No oreo, but then again, I don't twist on the damn thing either. Friends and relatives with pre's haven't had much problems either except for one guy who admits to abusing it. But he ends up breaking most of the phones he gets his hands on, so that's not that surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    Be that's as it may, those devices both have higher sales and lower return rates than the Pre. That means that the positives out weighed the negatives in a way that hasn't been seen with the Pre.
    Precentral had reported last year that Sprint said their returns on the Pre wasn't out of line compared to their other phones. That was after online news sites were quoting this forum as evidence of very high return rates. If you have a link to the carriers' actual return rates for various phones, I think that would be an interesting read.

I have co-workers with Droids and Droid2s that are getting about the same battery life that my Pre does. They complained at first to having to plug them into a USB port to charge them up in the afternoon. They were used to their Blackberries that would stay charged up for 2-3 days, but the afternoon plug in is the new 'normal'.

Palm's marketing sucked. When Verizon's first 'Droid Does' ad came out, I initially thought that Palm's ad agency had finally wised up, but in a few seconds the commercial's ending quickly squashed that idea.
    Many Palm OS users, like me, go for webOS because we could use our Palm OS apps on the Classic emulator. But I would say that for most people, the main differentiating factor of webOS is its slick cards metaphor.

So the question is, how compelling is the cards metaphor against number of apps and cool looking hardware?
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    Comments like this just make me wonder what in the world people do with their phones. I've had mine since June 2009. It took over a year for my USB port cover to break off and a little crack to appear because I dropped it or leaned up against something when it was in my pants pocket, but that's it. No oreo, but then again, I don't twist on the damn thing either. Friends and relatives with pre's haven't had much problems either except for one guy who admits to abusing it. But he ends up breaking most of the phones he gets his hands on, so that's not that surprising.
    I'm happy that you've had good luck with your phone, but that doesn't change the fact that the build quality was extremely poor. I don't baby my phones, but neither do I man-handle them. I had a horrific oreo on 2 phones, a non-responsive screen on another, and the people I mentioned had the same type of problems. I recently converted three Pre Pluses to Sprint, and one of the phones is flawless. The other two have keyboards that are horrible. Duplicated letters, skipped letters...give me an oreo any time over that garbage. I ended up transplanting the Sprint keyboard into both, and now have pretty solid devices. Devices that should've been made since the beginning.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    for me, this is my order: 1. webOS 2. iOS 3. Android

love the deck of cards system, gestures, and just type on webOS. I like iOS for the sheer number of apps and dev support as well as ease of use. Android is too cluttered for me, I tried it for a few months and hated it.
    it really all boils down to marketing. Palm did notbhave the resources to launch a great marketing campaign, here is hopeing hp steps that up. Most in the industry know that webos is a superior system than that of android and ios. That is why you see those 2 systems taking elements of webos into there new products. For example my iphone 4 friend spent most of today jailbreaking his phone so he could have mobile hotspot. The list goes on.
    On the number of apps, if I was an average joe and someone told me you could choose from 5000 apps with webOS, I would think, "wow, that's a lot, where do I start." 300,000 is more, yes, but 5000 is plenty. I might even be a little overwhelmed with 300,000 choices. It would take days worth of time to go through all those apps. Plus, the average joe will be looking for specific apps first before going to the rest of the app store. Does it have facebook? Flickr? How's the browser? Can I check my email? You demo those apps on the phones, and you realize webOS lets you do all of them at the same time the easiest. And once you find those marquee apps, then you have to start kludging throug the fart apps and soundboards. Who wants to do that for 300,000 apps? More != better...

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12