View Poll Results: Do you use Classic? Will you miss Classic?

Voters
299. You may not vote on this poll
  • No I do not use Classic

157 52.51%
  • Yes I use Classic

79 26.42%
  • No I will not miss Classic

98 32.78%
  • Yes I will miss Classic

87 29.10%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    MotionApps Hands Classic Over to Palm

From the Classic blog....

We are sad to announce that Palm has removed Classic’s ROM from the new webOS 2.0 device ROM which will result in Classic not working if utilized with Palm’s new webOS 2.0.

This is contrary to our agreement with Palm and was done without our approval or consent. Based on this action, MotionApps will immediately stop selling Classic. However, as a courtesy to our clients, we will continue to support existing Classic customers on webOS 1.x for the immediate future.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/26/2010 at 04:45 PM. Reason: title updated
    This is sad! I really hope Palm does something with it. It was the most expensive app! I still use it too, not as much as before.

They did add that they are giving Palm the app/info to make it compatible with 2.0.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Well, I don't use it much, but I loved having all my old
    Palm stuff available...

So, yeah, this stinks.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    but maybe there's hope...

more from the Classic blog...

Be that as it may, we believe in PalmOS and we want to do what we can to help Palm succeed in their future endeavors. So we decided to hand over the entire Classic source code and all of our accompanying IP to Palm so that Palm can do what they want to do with Classic and make it available with webOS 2.0.

Palm now has all the pieces to manage and control Classic's future.

Thank you all who supported us along the way and who love PalmOS the way we do.

MotionApps Team
    well at least it is very annoying how palm interacts with high class app developers.

It seems that after Documents-to.-go another big developer leaves the ship because of differences in app development with palm.

It's important to have the homebrew community embrassed, but more important marketing-wise is to get big developers on board.
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    well at least it is very annoying how palm interacts with high class app developers.

It seems that after Documents-to.-go another big developer leaves the ship because of differences in app development with palm.

It's important to have the homebrew community embrassed, but more important marketing-wise is to get big developers on board.
    Wasn't docs to go the ones that got bought out? If so it wasn't palm that made them leave...they didn't have a choice

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    Docs2Go left before the buy out. D2G sucks businesswise.
    O well they got replaced anyway and the one that's goin in webos 2.0 sounds better

Edit: docs2go that is..got replaced
    Quote Originally Posted by mindonmillions08 View Post
    Wasn't docs to go the ones that got bought out? If so it wasn't palm that made them leave...they didn't have a choice

Well at least they released Docs to Go 4.0 for iphone AND 3.0 for Android after the buyout. So they HAD a choice, but said they were forced by palm because of not being cooperative in development:

http://www.dataviz.com/products/docu...alhurdles.html

If all that is 100% true or not it at least shows that palm has difficulties getting big developers.
    Quote Originally Posted by mindonmillions08 View Post

Nah, before they got bought out, they made some blog post basically stating that they had't released Docs2Go because Palm was not cooperating fully and giving them the resources that they needed.
    screwdestiny
    PSNTwitterLast.FM
    LOL, have to wonder if the only thing that mad the 2.0 boot time faster was removing the classic ROM???

Edit: come to think of it, was the classic ROM allways loaded in the background, using up ram or only loaded when classic was opened?
    Well it had to go eventually. Palm can't continue to license a 8-year old from ACCESS

Guess that means I have to say goodbye to Bejeweled (though I haven't played it for some time, busy with TileStorm), and accelerate to move my passwords from Yaps to SecuStore.

Though it would be nice if Popcap would port it...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Well it had to go eventually. Palm can't continue to license a 8-year old from ACCESS

Guess that means I have to say goodbye to Bejeweled (though I haven't played it for some time, busy with TileStorm), and accelerate to move my passwords from Yaps to SecuStore.

Though it would be nice if Popcap would port it...
    Don't give up on Bejeweled.... It may run with Flash off of Facebook, won't know till 2.0 comes out though.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Don't give up on Bejeweled.... It may run with Flash off of Facebook, won't know till 2.0 comes out though.
    I hate Facebook with a passion.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    About all I do is play Bejeweled Blitz on it. I update my status, maybe once a month.
    Arrrgggghhh!!!!
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    For me, this is a disaster. I use Classic daily for DateBk6, HanDBase, and eWallet. I have tons of information in HanDBase, and eWallet is a work requirement. If Classic is gone, then I can't move to 2.0.

The sad thing is that I could switch to Android - HanDBase and eWallet are both available as native apps!

If 2.0 is going to be pushed out as a forced install like the updates are, I'm in trouble. HP, please continue Classic!
    Palm IIIx-->Palm Vx-->Kyocera 6035-->Kyocera 7135-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p-->Pre
    @bitmage,

the ewallet app on android is read only, you can not put entries into it.
    Could Palm repackage the ROM with the app and make all right in the world? While I've never used it, I would be a little upset with Palm if I did.
    I still use Classic on my Pre.
    - I use Metro, as it's the only offline London Tube journey planner for the Pre.
    - I use HotSync, as it enables me to maintain my Contacts c/w Categories between two PC's with Outlook, as well as Tasks and Memos which then work with Pocketmirror on my Pre.

I would have thought that a PalmPad would have been an ideal platform for Classic under webOS ?

Get onto Twitter and tell @webOSdev and @Palm what you think, I have
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast