View Poll Results: Do you use Classic? Will you miss Classic?

Voters
299. You may not vote on this poll
  • No I do not use Classic

    157 52.51%
  • Yes I use Classic

    79 26.42%
  • No I will not miss Classic

    98 32.78%
  • Yes I will miss Classic

    87 29.10%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
Results 121 to 127 of 127
  1. #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by thornev View Post
    This news stinks. I use Classic all the time (DateBk6, Planetarium, HotSync, Mandala, SplashID, TealAuto, TealPhone). Some of these have WebOS alternatives but most not as good as the PalmOS versions. I don't mind migrating to new apps (and possibly abandoning WebOS), but I have SO MUCH data in PalmOS apps with no way I know of to migrate it to any other platform... that is without manually re-entering the data. But one way or another I know eventually I will have to move forward. I will at least synch my data to PC so the data is not completely lost.
    +1

    I've been using a little know Palm OS to Desktop freeform database called InfoSelect since early 1990's to track everything from my projects to air filter sizes at my house. The Palm OS version still works well within Classic in my VZ Pre+ but of course some functionality such as copy and past doesn't work outside the Classic environment- Was to be developed according to MotionApp a while back but I guess it never will now. So after using this free form database and synching to my desktop version for almost 20 years, I just give it up and to what? I am not aware of any free form database that you can copy and paste or input anything and search within seconds of any information and synch to the desktop version.....

    Please support this via a patch or even better, have HP step up and recognize Palm OS users! How can you have Palm go from the top of the smartphone chain to nothing in few short years? Hell, years ago, my company advised me that they could support Blackberry's or Treo's. I recall half the company selected Treo's because of the PIM capabilities and synching with Exchange over the BB's. The Palm Treo's were that popular again back in the old days.

    Jon
    Last edited by jjsorkin; 01/04/2011 at 01:09 PM. Reason: spell check
    Palm III -> Palm IIIc -> Palm M505 -> Palm Tungsten T5 -> Palm Treo 600 -> Palm Treo 650 -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Plus (All running InfoSelect)
  2. #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    Thanks, that helps. It only works if the text is in the company field, not in the job title or notes (which is what I've mostly used) but I guess I could go edit all my contacts to put that info in the company field, instead.

    Now, if only "The Missing Sync" (Mac Version) didn't always die half-way through, I could find all the plumbers on the Mac, edit them there, and then just sync. Sigh.

    This gadget is so close to being awesome, without quite succeeding.
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    When you say "using Google", how are you using Google to sync your address book?
    I exported the Palm Desktop calendar and contexts, then imported them into iCal and address book, as per Palm's instructions in their Data Transfer process. Then, there is an option in both to link them to Google (create a gmail account, calendar, etc.). Then, on my Pre, I add in the gmail account.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
  3. #123  
    Thanks,

    I'm already using google calendars, because I don't really care if that gets blown up. I don't have it set to sync with iCal, mostly because I thought that might create weirdness with the Missing Sync, but also because I'm pretty happy with the on-line Google Calendar interface. (or at least, I don't like iCal any better.)

    But I haven't used their contacts. Does that sync nicely with the Mac Address book? Because I do use the address book, and want to continue using it. (And want to have it as a source of data to populate whatever gadget I use next, even if that isn't one that talks to Google)
  4. #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    I exported the Palm Desktop calendar and contexts, then imported them into iCal and address book, as per Palm's instructions in their Data Transfer process. Then, there is an option in both to link them to Google (create a gmail account, calendar, etc.). Then, on my Pre, I add in the gmail account.
    Ack! Might be harder than I hoped.

    Sync Wars: Address Book vs. Google Contacts

    or maybe it's terrific
    http://gigaom.com/collaboration/keep...c-with-google/

    I guess I'll find out soon.
    Last edited by puzzlegal; 01/04/2011 at 02:33 PM.
  5. #125  
    First of all, hi everyone!

    I’ve got an unlocked Pre (not Pre2!) from Europe and am sitting in Africa.
    If I go on the Apps Catalog on the Pre, I find the App: Classic, but it does not want to start and says: you must select the Option: “Buy now”
    But if I select that from the Menu, it takes me to MotionApps and from there to a site at Palm where it says: “Invalid Link”

    Could someone advice me where and how I could get “Classic” to run on my new Pre?
  6. #126  
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    Ack! Might be harder than I hoped.

    Sync Wars: Address Book vs. Google Contacts

    or maybe it's terrific
    Keep Your Address Book in Sync With Google: Online Collaboration «

    I guess I'll find out soon.
    It works, though I don't think it works as well as it did with old Palm OS. Sigh.

    On a bright note, pre #4 died two weeks ago, and Motion Apps kindly restored Classic onto the new Pre for me. It really is a great program, and should be part of 2.0 (just bundle Classic and the ROM together, and maybe add new features, like translating the accelerometer into arrow keys, or sync the Classic Palm PIM's with WebOS Calendar/Contacts... wow, that would be hot!).
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
  7. #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    On a bright note, pre #4 died two weeks ago, and Motion Apps kindly restored Classic onto the new Pre for me.
    So are they still doing this restore?

    I replaced my lost Pre+ with a Pre2 and when my profile restored on the new phone Classic was just *there*. I assumed all was well after installing the 'Classic Fix' but now it's giving me a "2 Days left on Trial" message.

    I have one old app that has no replacement in WebOS and I use it quite a bit. I'll be pretty unhappy if this doesn't keep working!

    EDIT: They were quick! Upgraded phone - Pre2 has activated Classic. Kinda makes me wonder why they aren't still selling it - even if it takes a 'Fix' to make it work in 2.x?
    Last edited by kayphoonstar; 06/06/2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Change in status
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Posting Permissions