View Poll Results: Do you use Classic? Will you miss Classic?

Voters
299. You may not vote on this poll
  • No I do not use Classic

    157 52.51%
  • Yes I use Classic

    79 26.42%
  • No I will not miss Classic

    98 32.78%
  • Yes I will miss Classic

    87 29.10%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 127
  1. #101  
    Are you freakking kidding me??!!

    It would be a difficult situation for any company to launch a new or replacement product if they've alienated even 10% of their current customers!

    20% would be an unthinkable undertow.

    If a corporate decisionmaker of any other US company were to have evidence that possibly a third of their current users might have a problem with the cessation of support of any program or application, well, why hire MBA's if even they couldn't figure out what will happen?

    The fact that the total YES responses are almost 40 PERCENT of this online, unsolicited, poll total is SHOCKING.

    If those in the HP captain's chair are not aware of these findings, and don't make some sort of "palmos-webos bridge" a top priority, like YESTERDAY, they may as well call that billion dollar Palm purchase 'The Titanic,' and kiss it goodbye.

    If this poll is even a close approximation of the truth, there's no way in HELL that WebOS can be successful with such an insurmountable percentage of current and former users lamenting the crippling of their palm operating system.

    If you're reading this post and don't understand percentages very well, here's an illustration in numbers. A little web research reveals that in 2007 there were still TENS of MILLIONS of PALMOS devices in use. However, in the past 1 1/2 years, there have been only about 2 million WEBOS devices sold. And, with the high rate of returns it is very possible that there are less than a million webos users right now, which is why webos doesn't even measure statistically in operating system market metrics. There are many reasons for this, but let's focus on one...

    As this GINORMOUS userbase (Palm had the largest smartphone customer base in the world) searched for replacements, where would they look first? Palm, of course. But, with Palm in turmoil at the time, they lost millions of users in '08. The January '09 announcement of the Pre slowed the hemorrhaging a little until June '09. In fact, the hype of the Pre initially made RIM, Apple, and even Google, collectively hold their breath for a few uneasy weeks. But then, what happened? A whole lotta nothing.

    Advance scouting reports and early adopter reviews repeatedly dashed the Pre hype and began exposing innumerable shortcomings. In a preemptive, desperate move to hopefully avoid having the business world give the Pre the kiss of death, Palm hurriedly rushed an announcement to press, literally a couple weeks before June 6th, stating that the Pre was not actually designed for business! It was obviously a bad move, but, at that point, there were no good moves.

    Spend a few hours on any of the Pre forums and it's clear that, of the people who switched FROM a Droid, Iphone, or Blackberry TO a Pre, the bulk immediately moved on to something else. Spend even more time and discover that something else happened. Something that came from Palm customers themselves. In this brave new era of realtime communication between millions of people, we are part of, and witness to, a collective force powerful enough to elevate or destroy entire companies. Something apparently no one at Palm, and now HP, has been smart enough to recognize. Unfortunately for WebOS, Palm users themselves have taken Palm's (and now HP's) failures with WebOS software and hardware, illuminated them on the world stage, and have effectively aborted WebOS sales on a massive scale.

    How could this happen? Let's conservatively say only 20 million P-os users remained in June of last year. Let's further posit that only half of those were interested in looking at a different smartphone, and only half of those had enough Palm-brand loyalty to check out Palm's WOS. That's 5 million potential Palm-to-Palm switchers who should have been 'easy-pickings,' but instead, about 3.5 to 4 million of those 5 million decided to go with a Droid or an Iphone. Why? Well, if this poll is even a tiny glimpse of truth, it means that 30-something percent of those 5 million people still wanted P-os! Marketing 101 tells us successful companies SELL people what they want--they don't TELL people what they want.

    So, Palm created a nice little batch of 1.5 million people telling the 10-20 people in each of their immediate "circles of influence" of their disappointment in WOS. It is a proven marketing fact that people are motivated several times more to share a negative experience than a positive one. If you do the math, that's 15 million to 30 million prospects soured on WOS. Trying to sell against that kind of resistance without finding and fixing the fundamental problem(s) is called business suicide.

    In the face of this reality, it would seem to me that whomever was responsible for axing Classic [HP] could literally be sued for negligence. And, since billions of dollars are at stake, there most certainly would exist legal precedent for a corporation to civilly pursue individual decisonmakers for what essentially appears to be corporate sabotage.
  2. #102  
    My dear god in heaven.

    and who's gonna sue Microsoft if your DOS 6.0 program doesn't seem to work in Windows 7?

    and how many people will sue Google when they find their Android 2.x app that worked on their old phone won't work on their new phone because of fragmentation?

    When a dewdrop rolls off a leaf in the woods at night, the Palm community will run around like a beheaded chicken, screaming "BEWARE OF THE TSUNAMI!" at the top of its lungs. The world is ENDING, people, don't you get it?? We're gonna need that Backwards compatibility with a 15-year-old system!
  3. #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    My dear god in heaven.

    and who's gonna sue Microsoft if your DOS 6.0 program doesn't seem to work in Windows 7?

    and how many people will sue Google when they find their Android 2.x app that worked on their old phone won't work on their new phone because of fragmentation?

    When a dewdrop rolls off a leaf in the woods at night, the Palm community will run around like a beheaded chicken, screaming "BEWARE OF THE TSUNAMI!" at the top of its lungs. The world is ENDING, people, don't you get it?? We're gonna need that Backwards compatibility with a 15-year-old system!
    Well, Windows 7 never advertised that it supports DOS programs loud and clear, whereas Palm did advertised Palm OS apps on the Pre.

    I still agree Classic needs to go, at this point of time it's not justified, because 1 year out is barely enough time for people to migrate.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  4. #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Well, Windows 7 never advertised that it supports DOS programs loud and clear, whereas Palm did advertised Palm OS apps on the Pre.

    I still agree Classic needs to go, at this point of time it's not justified, because 1 year out is barely enough time for people to migrate.
    MIGRATE TO WHAT ??

    Where are the good old PALMOS programs in WEBOS?
    I can name a few good programs that not only are not available in WEBOS but their functionality is not where to be found in WEBOS or 3er party apps.

    People are not stupid they use CLASSIC because they have to use it not because they want to use it.

    Just to point out a basic function that without CLASSIC is not available GLOBAL SEARCH of contacts. I could do that 10 years ago in a CASIO B.O.S.S. and then in a Sonie Clie, and then in a Tungsten C, and then in a T/X and then in a Treo 700P and then in a CENTRO (which I still carry around for that purpose) and then NAH… PRE
  5. #105  
    I was hoping WebOS 2 did universal search of contacts. No?
  6. #106  
    Has the MotionApps person completely left the forums? Seems like there are quite of unresolved issues that would benefit from their input....
    My device history:

    - Jim J.

    (On Sprint for many years)
  7. #107  
    That's a ******** analogy. More like if a windowsxp program didn't run on windows7 - that's a bit closer. muncher.
  8. #108  
    Could someone point me in the right direction for a valid license hacker please?

    Nobody will sell me a license and, well, piratebay just doesn't have one.

    And whose to say I'm going to upgrade to 2.0 anytime soon.

    What is with these media and technology companies? Yes, I do own it.

    Why did I even try...

    pixi for sale.
  9. #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by tungsten C View Post
    MIGRATE TO WHAT ??
    iPhone or Android.
  10. #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by ranpel View Post
    That's a ******** analogy. More like if a windowsxp program didn't run on windows7 - that's a bit closer. muncher.
    If you're referring to my analogy, not really.

    Windows 7 launched 2010. Last version of Windows with a full DOS was the Windows ME, in 2000. Windows XP was already using the NT codebase.

    Last version of Garnet OS was 2005, with codebase dating back to 2002, when Palm OS was rewritten for the ARM processor on Tungsten T.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  11. #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by tungsten C View Post
    MIGRATE TO WHAT ??

    Where are the good old PALMOS programs in WEBOS?
    I can name a few good programs that not only are not available in WEBOS but their functionality is not where to be found in WEBOS or 3er party apps.

    People are not stupid they use CLASSIC because they have to use it not because they want to use it.

    Just to point out a basic function that without CLASSIC is not available GLOBAL SEARCH of contacts. I could do that 10 years ago in a CASIO B.O.S.S. and then in a Sonie Clie, and then in a Tungsten C, and then in a T/X and then in a Treo 700P and then in a CENTRO (which I still carry around for that purpose) and then NAH… PRE
    Excuse my poor English, but I don't know what point are you trying to make here, your tone is arguing with me, but your wording is actually supporting what I said. I was saying, the original plan of Classic was to keep it there until replacements were available, so shutting Classic out one year after Pre launch was unreasonable.

    Also, global search of contacts is there. Slide open, go to the launcher screen and start typing. Contacts show up. I use it all the time. If you're trying to search for your contacts in Classic, Palm made it clear it's not supported, so again I didn't quite catch your point...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  12. #112  
    Global search of contacts sucks. Yes, if you remember someone's first name, you can search for that. But I tagged all the people I've ever hired as plumbers with "plumber" somewhere in the info. On the Treo, I just typed "plumber" and every address with "plumber" anywhere in it showed up. Same in the Mac address book. NOT in the Pre. It drives me nuts.

    I am really hoping this was fixed in WebOS 2.0
  13. #113  
    try %plum :-)
  14. #114  
    Thanks for that tip! Worked great looking for my doctors. If only the universal search included the calendar; I don't think the new one in 2.0 will either.
    I'm getting used to not having Classic programs, many do have replacements, but there a a couple I will really miss.

    Anyone know of a program like BP Pack? It stored packing lists with changeable quantities for travel and they were printable using a program called TB Reports.
    Also, the game of Pixionary was great fun, especially when waiting with children, and once for amusement in the case of a power failure.
  15. #115  
    Not at all, I don't really see the point in it


    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    PSN:KlutchScope
    Xbox Gamertag:KlutchScope
    Follow me on Twitter
    AT&T|Palm Pre Plus

    "Fact, bears, beets, BattleStar Galactica."- From "The Office", Jim impersonating Dwight
  16. #116  
    You know, ever since I had to learn a second grafiti screen language at the turn of the century, yikes!, I have wondered why I keep this unresponsive, uncaring, unappreciative company's product in my pocket. It's like have a wife that nags, constantly berates you, bloodies your eye in public, and only puts out just as your walking out the door, ahh but when she does put out....sigh...xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxo.....I'm smitten. Is this really worth it?
    1998-Pilot, 2003-Zire, 2008-Centro, 2010-Pre...?
  17. #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    try %plum :-)
    Thanks, that helps. It only works if the text is in the company field, not in the job title or notes (which is what I've mostly used) but I guess I could go edit all my contacts to put that info in the company field, instead.

    Now, if only "The Missing Sync" (Mac Version) didn't always die half-way through, I could find all the plumbers on the Mac, edit them there, and then just sync. Sigh.

    This gadget is so close to being awesome, without quite succeeding.
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    Thanks, that helps. It only works if the text is in the company field, not in the job title or notes (which is what I've mostly used) but I guess I could go edit all my contacts to put that info in the company field, instead.

    Now, if only "The Missing Sync" (Mac Version) didn't always die half-way through, I could find all the plumbers on the Mac, edit them there, and then just sync. Sigh.

    This gadget is so close to being awesome, without quite succeeding.
    My God, another Pre->Class->Mac->Missing Sync person!

    For contacts, I gave up on Missing Sync, and am using Google. You'll loose the pictures, but Missing Sync was deleting punctuation in the email fields! There doesn't seem to be a really good solution.

    My app that I can't do without (besides the old calendar) is Passwords Plus. I'm trying to migrate, and need an app with a desktop (who wants to enter all the url's and passwords and such on a small keyboard?). SecuStore seems close. I'm having issues importing my old file.

    We need real hacks for this sort of stuff. Someone needs to create de-dup (old Palm OS program to remove duplicated events or contacts?), migration tools/scripts, etc.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
  19. #119  
    When you say "using Google", how are you using Google to sync your address book?
  20. thornev's Avatar
    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    #120  
    This news stinks. I use Classic all the time (DateBk6, Planetarium, HotSync, Mandala, SplashID, TealAuto, TealPhone). Some of these have WebOS alternatives but most not as good as the PalmOS versions. I don't mind migrating to new apps (and possibly abandoning WebOS), but I have SO MUCH data in PalmOS apps with no way I know of to migrate it to any other platform... that is without manually re-entering the data. But one way or another I know eventually I will have to move forward. I will at least synch my data to PC so the data is not completely lost.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions