View Poll Results: Do you use Classic? Will you miss Classic?

Voters
299. You may not vote on this poll
  • No I do not use Classic

157 52.51%
  • Yes I use Classic

79 26.42%
  • No I will not miss Classic

98 32.78%
  • Yes I will miss Classic

87 29.10%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    <threads merged>
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    How many of you classic users would laugh at someone using win2000 or ME instead of finding a modern solution.
    Laugh if you want but I have quite a few PC's running DOS. They run product test software on our assembly line. They run one single program 24/7. They are rock solid dependable, never crash, never a hiccup. Switching to Windows of any level would be costly and prone to downtime due to crashes etc. which are costly.
    To me one of the main drawbacks of WEB OS is the inability to search all contacts fields.

I resolved this issue by using Tealphone and Classic. A bit of a pain but a compromised now with Classic gone I don’t know how to overcome this HUGE DRAW BACK in the WEBOS .

If this issue cannot be resolved I might considered moving to another OS
    Quote Originally Posted by iii View Post
    Is there any way to get Palm to continue supporting Palm OS?? This is totally unfair! Are you listening HP..??
    If you are on Twitter send them a message @palm @hpnews
    I am not happy at all about losing Classic in WebOS 2.0. I use Classic daily for work. Hotsync works well enough. I'm hoping the Homebrew community can find a workaround to keep Classic working in WebOS 2.0 ... somehow. It is a software emulator after all. Guessing it would take quite a bit of work though to pull off without the ROM. Here's to hoping. If this never materializes, I guess I could invest in something like Chapura Echo or Companionlink to sync Palm Desktop with my Pre. Echo or CL? Which is better?
    I an understand the frustrations of losing all your old palm os apps, but I think the reasoning behind this was to move on and use webos. Develpoers of those old apps should release them, and they want focus mainly on webos not palm os. To keep old apps available for an old os eventually had to end. Not against the idea. Hell I hate that my ps3 can't play ps3 games, things should be backward compatible, but it's about money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huff View Post
    Laugh if you want but I have quite a few PC's running DOS. They run product test software on our assembly line. They run one single program 24/7. They are rock solid dependable, never crash, never a hiccup. Switching to Windows of any level would be costly and prone to downtime due to crashes etc. which are costly.
    But should MS. Support and update DOS just bc You refuse to change..

Nope. And you shouldn't be upset at them either!

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    This will have a serious impact on medical users some of whom are still dependent on legacy apps e.g. Skyscape, HandBase which so no sign of webOS versions (yet). I know of some who will move on to Android as they have no choice. Sad.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  9. ird
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Oh no, WebOS 2.0 doesn't make toast. I might consider going to another OS.
    Last edited by ird; 10/27/2010 at 04:31 AM. Reason: :(

We're not expecting anyone to support Classic, MotionApps does a poor job of that. We want the option to use Classic. HP/Palm is taking that away from us. I have 5 apps (including DtG for editing Word & Excel docs) that don't have equivilents in webOS. I also use the calendar for searching old events since the Pre calendar is limited in it's history.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    I've just send a message to StyleTap to know if they plan to adapt their product to HP WebOS v2 platform.
    Actualy, Styletap which is a PalmOS emultator runs on Windows Mobile, Symbian and iPhone...
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Has anyone heard any responses (Twitter or otherwise) from HP? I'm surprised that they haven't made any statements. In fact, the whole situation is strange.

MotionApps finds out that the roms won't be available in 2.0 only a few days before its release? And their response is to give all their intellectual property to HP, free of charge? This doesn't seem likely.

It would be helpful to have an official statement on the future of Classic (if any), so those of us dependent on it can decide what to do next.
    Palm IIIx-->Palm Vx-->Kyocera 6035-->Kyocera 7135-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p-->Pre

Microsoft is a pretty poor example for your point. MS supported DOS for years after it was obsolete. They only discontinued allowing companies to preload Windows XP, an almost decade old operating system, on new computers this month. They only stopped supporting XP Service Pack 2 last month. All of this was done with clear time tables which were laid out months and even years in advance so developers and users could plan for an orderly transition.

And they continue to support System Pack 3 and allow downgrades to it to this day. Plenty of people have held on to Windows XP for so long that they have jumped - and are jumping directly to Windows 7 without stopping off at Vista. Windows XP may not make much money for Microsoft anymore but they have stood behind it in part because their users hold them accountable.

Now contrast that to what we've just seen with the rug being pulled out from under Classic with no warning. It's not a matter of people not wanting to change. It's a matter of the fact that there are still holes in webOS which were being plugged by legacy apps that run in Classic. I don't think anyone expected to see PalmOS supported for a decade or more but I doubt if anyone expects or wants to find out that their phone updated itself this morning and killed one of their apps with no intention of ever fixing it or providing an alternative.

I don't blame MotionApps so much as I blame Palm for this problem. It was clear from the start that Classic was heavily dependent on code that is deeply embedded into webOS. If Palm decided to remove that deeply embedded code, they should have told the people who depend on it. It's no different than what we've seen with Palm reaching out to developers in the Homebrew community. If Palm deserves and gets praise for reaching out to these developers, they deserve to be criticized if they do something to alienate a developer.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRepublican View Post
    Now contrast that to what we've just seen with the rug being pulled out from under Classic with no warning. It's not a matter of people not wanting to change. It's a matter of the fact that there are still holes in webOS which were being plugged by legacy apps that run in Classic. I don't think anyone expected to see PalmOS supported for a decade or more but I doubt if anyone expects or wants to find out that their phone updated itself this morning and killed one of their apps with no intention of ever fixing it or providing an alternative.

I don't blame MotionApps so much as I blame Palm for this problem. It was clear from the start that Classic was heavily dependent on code that is deeply embedded into webOS. If Palm decided to remove that deeply embedded code, they should have told the people who depend on it. It's no different than what we've seen with Palm reaching out to developers in the Homebrew community. If Palm deserves and gets praise for reaching out to these developers, they deserve to be criticized if they do something to alienate a developer.
    I think that this is entirely unfair. You have no idea whether there was any advance notice, and you are acting like it's a last minute decision, without any indication either way. While MotionApps informed the customer very suddenly, that doesn't mean that they haven't known for a while.

And besides that, with the release of the PDK (and especially the possibility for hybrid apps), the app is no longer dependent on being embedded into the OS. As I mentioned before, I'd bet the problem with that is that it'd require revamping a product that I doubt makes much money any more (and hasn't seen any updates in what... 9 months or so?).
    If MA knew about the 2.0 problem, why were they asking for suggestions of improvements they could add to Classic a fews ago ?
    Either a double bluff, or more likely they were unaware of HP's plans !
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I think that this is entirely unfair. You have no idea whether there was any advance notice, and you are acting like it's a last minute decision, without any indication either way. While MotionApps informed the customer very suddenly, that doesn't mean that they haven't known for a while.

And besides that, with the release of the PDK (and especially the possibility for hybrid apps), the app is no longer dependent on being embedded into the OS. As I mentioned before, I'd bet the problem with that is that it'd require revamping a product that I doubt makes much money any more (and hasn't seen any updates in what... 9 months or so?).
    All we know is what MotionApps has told us:

We are sad to announce that Palm has removed Classic’s ROM from the new webOS 2.0 device ROM which will result in Classic not working if utilized with Palm’s new webOS 2.0.

This is contrary to our agreement with Palm and was done without our approval or consent.
    Now maybe MA is lying but if they are, Palm has not come forward to deny their claims. And from what we are seeing from MA is a claim that Palm pulled the rug out from under them. Now whether or not this was done at the last minute is academic since MA is claiming that Palm broke its agreement with them. Whether it was done with or without warning, if it is true it suggests a lack of professionalism on Palm's part.

All the indications from MA's blog post is that they are trying to do their due diligence by continuing to support Classic users on webOS 1.x and turning their source code over to Palm. It remains to be seen whether or not Palm will be as diligent. If they are, Palm can still turn this situation around. They could rewrite Classic as a PDK or hybrid app. They could revamp the PalmOS ROM and put it into future versions of webOS - perhaps even in a way that allows PalmOS apps to run on webOS more seamlessly. (Imagine if your PalmOS apps lived in the webOS launcher and could run as cards alongside their webOS brethren and if it were possible to copy and paste between PalmOS and webOS apps, that would multiply the size Palm's App Catalog tenfold overnight.) Or Palm could identify legacy apps which lack webOS equivalents and work with developers to get them into the App Catalog more quickly.

Indeed what we've seen of QuickOffice in webOS 2 suggests that Palm may be doing that last thing, working with developers to build apps which will replace the most important legacy PalmOS apps. If so, it might not be a bad idea to give registered Classic users a deal on these apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by ird View Post
    Oh no, WebOS 2.0 doesn't make toast. I might consider going to another OS.

The question is much simpler than that... If the WebOS makes a toast why remove the function after the fact. specially when people are used to making toast?

Also worth mentioning that over 2300 people have read this subject "I WONDER WHY"
    Last edited by tungsten C; 10/28/2010 at 11:06 AM.
    I guess I don't really see "without our approval or consent" meaning that the rug was pulled out from under them with no advance warning. Yes, they're saying Palm made a decision they don't like, but I don't see where it says how long they've known about this.

Doesn't matter either way, it doesn't change things.

Like I said, I'd hope Palm at least does the right thing and converts it to a hybrid app (which I really don't see why MotionApps couldn't do except for the lack of a return on the investment).
    Styletap can easly be portes o any nix os on mobole devices.... Further more Can't we just add the rom manually ... Or extract it now off the devices that we own already .. Then reinsert them later after 2.0 is released.
    I thought I would really miss all of my Palm OS apps that I used for years but I'm getting by without them.
    I guess I still really miss ChatterEmail. It was so far ahead of it's time. I also still miss not being able to sync my tasks with Exchange... But now I way off topic.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast