View Poll Results: Do you use Classic? Will you miss Classic?

Voters
299. You may not vote on this poll
  • No I do not use Classic

157 52.51%
  • Yes I use Classic

79 26.42%
  • No I will not miss Classic

98 32.78%
  • Yes I will miss Classic

87 29.10%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I don't use classic much anymore, so not a big deal....EXCEPT I too paid $20 for the app, during their promo, which by far is the most expensive app purchased. Unless it's a major memory hog or conflicts with certain features of 2.0, I don't see why palm can't atleast leave it available for those who want to continue using it..they don't have to upgrade it if that's what path hp has chosen, but there should be no reason why the classic version of classic shouldn't work with 2.0.

another thing...did motion apps JUST realize they are not included in the 2.0
    rom??? How long have they had access to the 2.0 beta? Should we be worried that 2.0 is not really there being tested by developers???
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    The only reason I got a Pre was because I still had 2 very important programs that were still PalmOS only programs, which the developers do not plan to continue to WebOS. It is disappointing to hear this news. Agendus for PalmOS is still much more than the WebOS options, and if not for UberCalendar, I would still find the need to use it solely. PocketQuicken, is still essential with no WebOS counterpart. My pilots logbook, can only run in PalmOS. So, I hope WebOS2.0 understands its past and those of us who have long supported Palm and its programs and developers.
    Last edited by TimBoch; 10/26/2010 at 05:08 PM.
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
    this is a really really bad news :-(

I use Classic every day for Datebk6, PSMemo, Smartlist To Go, Metro, Stadtplan and Plucker. There is no replacement of these apps on WebOS.

Please HP/Palm make Classic at least workable on WebOS 2.0. It's hard enough to know there will be no new Classic versions. But it's hard not able to use the software in the near future :-(
    This is very bad news!! I use my Pre for business related tasks and rely heavily on Classic. Many of the apps I got for my Treos work on classic and this made me tolerate webOS. With the discontinuation of Classic come 2.0, I will have no choice but to move on to an OS that meets my business needs. Palm has to do something to rectify this situation. They need to broaden the scope of their users.

"How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"
  5. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Two simple questions.

News is here:

http://www.precentral.net/webos-20-p...or-out-picture
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Well this kind of sucks. I use classic to run one logbook program (that the publisher has made very clear will not be ported to WebOS) that gets used just about every day at work. I'm sticking with WebOS for a phone (I'm hooked now) but really don't want to have to carry around 2 devices at work.

GRRRR.
    Last edited by ChasT; 10/25/2010 at 10:50 AM.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Did - Don't - Won't miss it!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    In the last week, I just left Classic behind and brought my calendar onto Google and my Tasks to the ToDo Classic application. I will miss the DateBook application, because it's far superior to the native WebOS calendar app, but I won't miss the long startup time to view calendar, or the WebOS crashes due to Classic.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Already done, but I wonder if HP cares? I assume they had a reason for dropping the ROM images, as simply leaving them in and leaving the support issues to MotionApps would be easier than taking over Classic.

I've been on Palm forever, but I'm sitting here looking at Android phones right now. If Classic is gone, then I'm going to be forced to move to maintain my data.

I'm holding my breath here HP - please tell PreCentral that you're going to still support Classic!
    Palm IIIx-->Palm Vx-->Kyocera 6035-->Kyocera 7135-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p-->Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    I don't use classic much anymore, so not a big deal....EXCEPT I too paid $20 for the app, during their promo, which by far is the most expensive app purchased. Unless it's a major memory hog or conflicts with certain features of 2.0, I don't see why palm can't atleast leave it available for those who want to continue using it..they don't have to upgrade it if that's what path hp has chosen, but there should be no reason why the classic version of classic shouldn't work with 2.0.

another thing...did motion apps JUST realize they are not included in the 2.0
    rom??? How long have they had access to the 2.0 beta? Should we be worried that 2.0 is not really there being tested by developers???
    Maybe the homebrew comunity can make a patch/DL to add the ROM back in???
    it'd be nice if the apps could be "compiled" somehow and released as pdk/sdk apps - the other advantage would be you could see the apps right in the launcher.

If there was some way to integrate that layer seamlessly, you could instantly add thousands of apps to the Palm Webos repertoire available for direct launch from teh app launcher

homebrew? webos-internals?
    I don't have a WebOS device (they weren't on AT&T last time I upgraded). The elimination of Classic has eliminated any interest I have in the platform. I may as well buy an iPhone.
    I've never use classic before.. :[
  15. JKM
    The availability of a PalmOS emulator was my main reason to buy a Pre Plus.
    If WebOS 2 / the new Pre devices do not support the emulator anymore, then I will most likely
    switch to another platform .

Palm / HP do their best to get rid of their loyal, long-time customers
  16. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    I bought it, set it up, and then never used it. I have a large number of Palm OS apps from my TX, but in the end I guess I just threw away my crutch.
    I bought it thinking I would use all my old PalmOS apps. Hardly ever did, deleted it this morning after reading the article.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    I gave up on Classic last year. Too slow to use for calendar and the clock was ticking for anything related to PalmOS anyway. And, too many things I had on it needed a stylus which I'd love to see brought back into fashion for notes and other suitable uses. So, paid for it but didn't find it useful enough to actually use.
    My frustration w/HP best characterized by Col George Taylor.
    Where's the refund?

#1 There is no way they could have just found out that the PalmOS ROM was not going to be included. They don't just yank a chunk of functionality out without any planning. This has to have been on a roadmap for quite some time. I'm wondering if MotionApps knew this was going to happen back when they put their app on sale.

#2 They had to have been "compensated" for their source code and IP they decided to hand over to HP/Palm. It was either written into their contract with Palm, or it was part of a settlement agreement. There is no way a company hands over their primary product without some kind of compensation.

As a courtesy they're going to continue to support existing customers on webOS 1.x. Really? What is there to support after we all update to webOS 2?

The polite thing to do would provide refunds to their existing customers. This is the most expensive app that I own for my Pre. By the time webOS 2 is released (assuming they hit their schedule), I will have used Classic for less than a year.

I have not-so-nice words for DataViz too, but I got it working under Classic. Oh, wait...

DD
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I use it daily only for ePocrates Essentials, so yea, I'll miss Classic. Since the ePocrates beta on webOS does not include the added functionality of ePocrates that I need for patient care, I'll likely have to consider leaving my Day 1 Pre. I'm angry at both ePocrates and HP/Palm. So sad.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast