1.    #1  
    I filed a formal complaint against Verizon for not supporting the GPS on the Pre Plus and after a month received a letter from the FCC that they had received a response from Verizon and the response would be forwarded to me. A few days later I received the following letter from Verizon which indicated that they only support Verizon Navigator on the phone and I would need to get in touch with the developers of the other GPS applications for support. The FCC said that they are closing the complaint and that I could file a protest. I also checked and found out that Verizon has not released the GPS API’s for webOS.

This is the Body of the Verizon Response Letter directed to the FCC:

This is in response to the above referenced complaint by John XXXXXX and received by Verizon Wireless on September 21, 2010. In his complaint, Mr. XXXXXX writes he disagrees with the having to purchase Verizon Wireless Navigator for the GPS to work on his Palm Pre Plus.
    Upon receipt of your complaint, 1 reviewed our records on account XXXXXX. Mr. XXXXXX may use any application that offers a navigation service however Verizon Wireless is will not support any usage of another navigation application. For instance if he chose to use Google Map and experienced a challenge or issue he would need to contact Google for assistance. We do not deny the usage of another navigator application. Mr XXXXXX does not have to purchase the navigation service but if you chose to it is $2.99 per day and $9.99 per month. We apologize for any inconvenience this matter may have caused.
    Verizon Wireless appreciates the opportunity to respond the Mr. XXXXXX 's concerns. If there are any further questions regarding this matter, Mr. XXXXXX may call me at (800) ######## ext ####. If the Federal Communications Commission should have any questions, please contact XXXXXX at XXXXXX@verizonwireless.com.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    You are going to have to prove that Palm has a compatible GPS with the phone service and that Verizon is blocking its functionality on PURPOSE force people into buying their GPS. Otherwise it is a lost cause. You might try and see if this issue exists with other phones/OSes as well, that might help build your case.

Good luck, and Thanks to Sprint for not having this issue.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    So does this mean they'll be doing the same with the Pre2? The wording of the response is pretty strong.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    I filed a formal complaint against Verizon for not supporting the GPS on the Pre Plus and after a month received a letter from the FCC that they had received a response from Verizon and the response would be forwarded to me. A few days later I received the following letter from Verizon which indicated that they only support Verizon Navigator on the phone and I would need to get in touch with the developers of the other GPS applications for support. The FCC said that they are closing the complaint and that I could file a protest. I also checked and found out that Verizon has not released the GPS API’s for webOS.

This is the Body of the Verizon Response Letter directed to the FCC:

Wow.. that is one of the most poorly worded official responses I have ever seen.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    You are going to have to prove that Palm has a compatible GPS with the phone service and that Verizon is blocking its functionality on PURPOSE force people into buying their GPS. Otherwise it is a lost cause. You might try and see if this issue exists with other phones/OSes as well, that might help build your case.

Good luck, and Thanks to Sprint for not having this issue.
    The fact that Sprint (and more specifically AT&T, since they are both Pluses with the same hardware) dont' have any problems IS the proof that Verizon is doing something to hinder the service.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Did you file your complaint for them "not supporting" GPS on third party apps, or for blocking it? If the former, then I'm afraid it's your bad for wording it wrong. If the latter, then their "response" is clearly nonresponsive, and your next communication to the FCC should point out that you weren't asking them to do Google's tech support for them but rather simply to make the aGPS service available, as advertised, and not block it deliberately or through incompetent coding.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Does Verizon cripple Google Maps on Droids?
    I don't care about alternates tho vznav... I want all the other loation based services to work properly. They just don't get ot.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    So does this mean they'll be doing the same with the Pre2? The wording of the response is pretty strong.
    Good questions and one of my main concerns!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    so the pre 2 should be a huge success with verizon. I would love a smart phone without gps