1.    #1  
    Dont get me wrong, I think that the people at Palm are extremely innovative and intelligent.

In 5 years time when the mobile cloud and web apps will dominate we will look back at the creation of WebOS and the only bad thing that people will say about it was that it was wayyy ahead of its time.

So Palm has done some seriously good stuff with WebOS, and 2.0 looks seriously strong.

I understand that Palm just got aquired by HP and before they were a small company, its not easy trying to keep up to speed with the latest tech, things move super fast in the mobile industry right now. SO, some features I understand will eventually come to WebOS. Im patient I will wait.

There is ONE thing that I am not patient about, and actually quite disappointed in Palm with:

The integration of homebrew patches baked into the main OS.

Now, I understand that some patches are niche things, (and some cant be added because they are a breach of carrier policy etc) but there are some patches that bring the phone to a whole new level, and that the average WebOS consumer (non homebrewer) has been complaining about and wanting for some time. Some were incorporated, but not nearly enough.

This is not even a "common Palm get on it!" complaint, this is a "you had a huge opportunity sitting on your lap here, and you passed on it"

Palm, I understand some things are just out of your reach at this moment in time, Sprint is giving you the middle finger, the app catalog is not what it should be, but for petes sake, you have been HANDED to you some of the best upgrades for WebOS, for FREE, beta tested by all of us, and you passed on them.

Bad move in my opinion.

Below are a list of patches that SHOULD have come baked into WebOS 2.0 (maybe with toggles to disable), and didnt:

Without a doubt:

-Advanced System Configuration
    -Email MegaMix
    -Uber Calendar
    -Devicemenu Maxed Out Ultra
    -Mega Mix and Multi Mod (for Web Browser)
    -PDF Redux

Debatable (ones I sure like):

-Add Date MM/DD
    -Add Select All and New Message
    -Alarm Daily Options
    -Character Counter
    -Copy Youtube URL to clipboard
    -Delete all conversations and texts
    -Match State to Areacode
    -Enabling Landscape for email, messaging, etc
    -Set Avatar for messaging
    -Raise Resolution Limit
    -Reduce Drag Radius (it helps with scrolling lag)
    -Shake to reload (browser)
    -Share Larger Videos Via Email
    -Swipe to delete contacts
    -Swipe to delete videos
    -Video Camera flashlight

Personally, these arent just patches that are preferable choices or niche things, they are patches that seriously extend the capabilities of WebOS

When I went through the list I thought to myself "Does this patch interfere or limit anything in WebOS by it being enabled?" In other words, if I added it to someones phone and they didnt know it was there, would it negatively affect their experience.

And if it did, it didnt make the list.

And it doesnt even stop at patches... when Music Player Remix came out all I could think was "oh man, Palm is gonna snatch this up and make it the official player." .......and they never did.

Now Music Player 2.0 makes the official music player look like a JOKE. Palm should buy Music Player Remix 2.0 and integrate it into the OS (as long as that would be cool with the developer of course)

And there are tons of other homebrew apps too.

Internalz would be awesome as an official app (just restrict its access to just the Media/Internal/ folder)

Save/Restore would be a nice addition and a backup in case Palm Profile fails. (it does)

Mode Switcher (without the homebrew apps to modify like Govnah) would be seen like a sweet automator like on Mac OSX.

Put an option in the App Catalog to enable "Beta and Unofficial apps" with a warning, but I mean at least that will boost your app numbers by a couple 1000.

These are just things that were there for the taking to integrate in the OS, and you didnt.

Personally I think that it was a bad move. I know that most of us will just homebrew and use these things, but Palm cant use them as bragging rights to their OS then, and sadly in this crammed Mobile OS climate, bragging rights mean a lot.

What do you guys think?

Disagree? Any patches that you would add that Palm should have baked into WebOS?
    Ill add one Glass Effect (most especially on the launcher, and when cards ae loading)
    I'd add the "new card per convo" patch for messaging. This is extremely convenient and would work perfectly with Stacks in webOS 2.0.
    "I'm just here so I don't get fined." -Marshawn Lynch
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    Ill add one Glass Effect (most especially on the launcher, and when cards ae loading)
    Exactly right. It's such a perfect fit that its makes you wish it came with the phone like a lot of the patches in the op.
    I hope palm just announced the main new features of webos, but there are a lot of small things that should added and or fixed. especially more customization features. for example something small would be like being able to change system fonts.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Phresh View Post
    I'd add the "new card per convo" patch for messaging. This is extremely convenient and would work perfectly with Stacks in webOS 2.0.
    I like the one that only happens when you hold, cause sometimes I want to send a quick text, and that's it.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    I like the one that only happens when you hold, cause sometimes I want to send a quick text, and that's it.
    Ooohh, I'd love to have the ability to make all messaging convos stack together by default.....
    I totally get you, but I don't think Palm should incorporate many (if any) patches into the OS - they should just make it super-duper easy to install patches. Like get them straight from the App Catalog. That way, patches themselves would be "official part of the OS" - like apps, only for OS functions.
    yes to everything but shake to load. Had to remove that.

but give palm credit that they DID get a bunch of patch functionality in, such as add pages/name pages, no auto reload of web pages, etc. Radius change is apparently not needed as the speed os 2.0, hardware assist for css transitions, glass screem, wjatever - has people reporting it is iphone smooth to scroll. Also a single place to manage synergy accounts, adding search options...

I'm with ya on the pim stuff, but the new apis will make easier for 3rd party replacement apps like we used to have on the treo/centro.

I also want to say that palm needs to integrate voice commands directly into webOS and not depend on a third party to build it. I've never been a fan of voice dialing, but it's needed just to meet the competition.
  10.    #10  
    I apologize but when I posted this this morning it posted twice.

Moderators can you please merge the two? Thanks
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Phresh View Post
    I think this is going to happen in stacks

As in a new convo will open in a new card in the stack.

So this was technically added
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I totally get you, but I don't think Palm should incorporate many (if any) patches into the OS - they should just make it super-duper easy to install patches. Like get them straight from the App Catalog. That way, patches themselves would be "official part of the OS" - like apps, only for OS functions.
    I think that there are some patches that just should be installed like the Email MegaMix etc, and those patches that are specific options to a user, they should be downloadable like apps.
    I think when Palm created WebOS, a lot of stuff wasn't integrated into it since it was a brand new OS built from the ground up expecting to be built onto as time went on. Of course EVERYTHING wont be perfect.

As far as 2.0, I think the main reason that they didn't include all the patches in there is because they couldn't take credit for that. If they did include all that, the homebrew developers would kinda be "out of business." MAYBE it was in respect to them to not just take all their patches and label it theirs. Palm is very well aware of homebrew and its developers. That said, in response to your music player statement, they just hired a developer that created NanPlayer (I think thats what its called), A music player that looks pretty slick. Im sure future devices will include a version of that in it.

Developers will still patch the life out of their devices and I think Palm knows that. Personally, I think leaving it open to patch makes the device more customizable. I'm hoping that that is what Palm is going for. Being able to make your phone your own and not making EVERYTHING baked into the phone. Just my opinion.
  14.    #14  
    I really think if you asked the homebrew developers on here, if adding their patches to the original OS meant WebOS gaining market share popularity, they would be all for it.

Plus Palm could pay them something in terms of donations.

I am sure the homebrew developers on here are only patching because they have to, not because they want the OS to stay crippled so they have to spend countless hours optimizing it.