Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A while back at a developer conference we were promised APIs for the mic and camera (others?)

Did we get them?
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    Yup APIs for Mic, Camera, Media Indexer, Synergy and Just Type are a go. And those are just the ones I personally care about.
    Mic = voice recording....but what about call recording?
    I really would have loved to see a sister-feature to Just Type that keeps bouncing around in my head called "Just Speak" released into the OS along with the Mic APIs. I was hoping that was an unannounced surprise.

Basically it would work exactly like just type but it would be accessed by pressing a Mic icon in the right corner of the Just Type box. You would just speak into the phone and it would register using speech to text software allowing you to search the web along with contacts and any number of apps; start a memo, email or text message; or update your status on Facebook & Twitter. Here's to hoping for this in WebOS 2.1 which will land with the Super Phones in January.
    they need to add voice search like android has.

+1 on calling it Just Speak.

brilliant!
    Yeah they just didnt release the news about Mic API's and stuff to the consumer report about WebOS 2.0 because most people would be like w t f is that?

Although I guess they could have said "more advanced apps that can use the mic and camera as well as tie into Synergy and Just Type"
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abhinandanjain View Post
    Mic = voice recording....but what about call recording?
    My favorite question, will developers (zcorder ?) get the ability to develop call recording capabilities?
    they had previously said the mic api's are in the 2.0 sdk which is already in the hands of developers.

also, they specified in yesterday's press release that they have the api's needed to tie third party apps in to 'just type' and synergy services.

what bugs me is that I think voice commands should be baked in by palm into their own app as a core part of webOS. Hopefully they are planning that for an OTA update after 2.0 is released.
  9.    #9  
    If this is the case then webOS 2 is GIANT leap forward, it should be getting much bigger press than it is, the press release did a poor job of showcasing these new "tent polls" of functionality.
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    Its tough to showcase all these API's without any apps that use the functionality.

You can tell the general public "NEW API's" till their ears are sore but they wont understand.

I think Palms plan is to get actual apps using Synergy, the Mic and Camera APIs and Just Type, and then with the CES 2011 launch they will actually have apps to showcase what amazing things you can do with these functions.

Actually showing a Twitter app that you can "Just Type" tweets with, an app that uses voice recognition, an app that lets you use the camera as a barcode reader, and an app that plugs right into your messaging and contacts app will be the great press release that is yet to come.

Developers Develop!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaganElephant View Post
    I really would have loved to see a sister-feature to Just Type that keeps bouncing around in my head called "Just Speak" released into the OS along with the Mic APIs. I was hoping that was an unannounced surprise.

Basically it would work exactly like just type but it would be accessed by pressing a Mic icon in the right corner of the Just Type box. You would just speak into the phone and it would register using speech to text software allowing you to search the web along with contacts and any number of apps; start a memo, email or text message; or update your status on Facebook & Twitter. Here's to hoping for this in WebOS 2.1 which will land with the Super Phones in January.
    Sounds like an awesome idea for a patch.
    or, Just Talk ?
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    I read in palm site that web browser in WebOS 2.0 can upload files. That's cool.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaganElephant View Post

That has integrated as part of one of the mock-up submissions last week. Nice job by jbarajasp

http://forums.precentral.net/future-...bos-phone.html
    Quote Originally Posted by amjz View Post
    I read in palm site that web browser in WebOS 2.0 can upload files. That's cool.
    Where on the Palm site?
    someone can make a background or notification bar app for just speak that can stay open for that I'm sure.

uploading files would be cool, havnt heard anything tho

only thing is, by now, all these apps enabled by new api's would seem to say "me too" to me. But yes, we'll probably see ports of those

compass and gyroscope wouldv been nice.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I wonder how much HP and/or Palm has done on voice recognition software... I would of thought voice commands would be in 2.0, unless they couldn't get it to work they way the wanted?
    I am very disappointed that Voice Dialing is not going to be part of WebOS 2.0 - does anyone know of developers working on homebrew solutions to this?

The lack of voice dialing is the one "killer" feature that makes me regret buying my Pre. There are certainly other shortfalls over the competition but the rest I can live with.
    IMO voice dailing should be a palm made app not a 3rd party app!
    I can guarantee that voice dial apps will start popping up in the App Catalog once 2.0 starts becoming available to everyone. Developers could make a lot of money off such an app.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast