1.    #1  
    I have been hearing and reading about how with webOS 2.0 battery life will be improved due to smashing out the OS upgrade and a processor which uses less power. I cannot help but notice that the new Pre 2 has the same talk-time and standby time as the Pre+ and Pre had.

So what is the deal, HP?

What are you thoughts on it?

We have a CRAPPY battery life as it is, saying it'll get better and then advertising the same time as before is very disappointing.

EDIT: How do I edit my title?
    Last edited by squeezy; 10/19/2010 at 05:48 PM.
    Well the battery is the same 1150mAh so I wouldn't think that talk time would go higher since you're gonna be talking the same way on webOS 2.0. The improved battery life is for when you're actually using the OS and using apps, etc. The standby time is the same because again its the same battery and its on standby. It's not doing anything, so how could it be more efficient?
    It's not going to be THAT drastic an improvement, but I'd bet it's an improvement.

If it's using the OMAP3630, the CPU will be more efficient. However, the two bigger battery drains are the screen and the radios. We might get a more efficient radio, but don't expect them to work magic.

Edit: Wow I misread and thought this was about the Pre 2.

Yeah, there's probably some slight improvements, like every update, but most likely it'll be about the same as always.
  4.    #4  
    Bear in mind this is all in my opinion, but this is what I see. The Palm Pre 2 is sporting what I would consider as a whole plain hardware. It lacks a compass, a larger screen, working GPS in the case of Verizon customers, these are a couple of things that have become a standard in having in a smartphone.

Here is why I fully expected the battery life to be better. The iPhone 4 and the Droid 2 both run 1 ghz processors, the Droids being the same product line. Both have larger screens, compasses, working GPS on all networks (tba for iPhone and VZW), and a gyro in the iPhone 4. Yes I know they both have batteries that can hold a larger capacity, that's the thing that kills me I suppose. Palm / HP was hung up on using the same model as before, as a result we got stuck with the same oversized and/or oddly shaped, low mAh battery.

1420 mAh in the iPhone 4. Talk-time is 7 hours on 3g, 14 hours on 2g. (I want to add I do turn off my 3G radios when not in use from the system menu, I cannot say I have noticed a difference one way or the other.)

1400 mAh in the Droid 2. 9.5 hours talk-time.

Putting it out on the table like that to me makes me really ask, why? Why didn't you trash this Storm 2-esce of a release and wait to release something that would really deliver a blow to the smartphone world. The video comparisons are in, and in my opinion, they are not good. People were arguing in favor of the new processor, even I was, but to see it the Pre+ perform on par with the Pre 2 tells me I do not have any need for a new camera in my phone.

I really hope HP comes out with something that gives me a *****.
    the big improvement will come with enabling the GPU for things like transitions. Scrolling up and down in the browser just kills the batter by hammpering the CPU
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    I noticed on GSM Arena they have it rated exactly the same talk time and standby as on the Pre+.
  7.    #7  
    So in the respect of talk-time and standby time, where does using apps and scrolling through the browser leave its footprint? For as long as I can remember manufactures advertised the talk-time and standby time for phones, even before the smartphone came along. Is it time someone makes the move and advertise "hard-use time" so a user can have an idea of how long their battery will last if they are constantly using a number of apps? I don't know.

I do know that 5.5 hours talk time is pathetic in comparison to the other smartphones I listed above, especially since the two of them paved the way of what to expect in a smartphone, and the Pre2 still comes up short.

I love my phone, I love webOS, I love my touchstone docks, but I HATE having to have one at home and work just to make sure I have a good enough charge to get through the day.

I noticed on GSM Arena they have it rated exactly the same talk time and standby as on the Pre+.
    My point exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    the big improvement will come with enabling the GPU for things like transitions. Scrolling up and down in the browser just kills the batter by hammpering the CPU

This is nonsense.

The amount of decreased CPU load, combined with the increased GPU load (it does use power, too, you know) will not yield noticeable battery life change.

The reality is that no software update it going to yield dramatic battery life savings on a phone. The radios, screen and processor all dwarf the software in determining battery life.

And a word about GPU acceleration, it is not the panacea that some of you seem to think it is. It has been built up in this forum as the ultimate solution to all of webOS's problems, and it most definitely isn't. webOS 2.0 is, by most reports, on par with iOS4 on pre-release hardware, and at MOST, may have some CSS transforms that are hardware accelerated. I have a feeling some of you are more obsessed with the idea of GPU acceleration than you are actually concerned with the user experience. Some of you could be handed a phone with a blazing fast UI but would be upset if somebody told you it wasn't hardware accelerated.
    wow, thanks for explaning that to me. I'll head over to apple and tell them that their extensive use of the gpu has been a complete waste of time.
    You're welcome.

I didn't say it was a waste of time when Apple did it. Merely that it isn't the big deal some people make it out to be. The latest generation of mobile processors have largely overtaken the need or utility of hardware acceleration of the UI, and it likely isn't worth the time to do from scratch.

A year ago, it was a different story, but things move quickly in the mobile world and I doubt you're going to see Palm making a huge effort to make changes to the OS that will only produce a noticeable result on previous generations of hardware.
    Thank you idontwan2know.

This is totally true.

Processors are getting so powerful in phones now, a dual core 1.5Ghz processor will not need the help of a GPU to process the GUI.

And its only gonna go up from there.

Ex: I work in the audio industry, and back in the day, it was impossible to do digital audio recording without a dedicated Processor for audio.

Now days, with 3Ghz Quad Core CPU's in computers, you dont need them at all.

We have almost hit that point with Cell phone CPU's.

Do you think with the next Palm superphone on the horizon with a super fast CPU, they care about the GUI being rendered by the GPU?

probably not.
    for gaming, I think a gpu willstill be helpful in cell phones.
    3D rendering, cell shading and lighting effects is a whole different ball game than GUI scrolling and transitions..no doubt.

Itll be quite a while before a CPU will be able to handle that task well.