1.    #1  
    This morning my webOS smartphone's alarm did not go off. I had not placed it on a charger the day before (so it didn't go off yesterday either due to battery drain - my fault). I did not reopen the alarm application or toggle the alarm from on to off back to on in order to prime it to go off in the morning. There are a couple of things I have come to expect to operate reliably in life and one of those things is an alarm clock. I realize now that I cannot rely on webOS smartphones to wake me in the morning. I will purchase a separate device to handle the task.
    I am a technology enthusiast and I wish device makers could cram more functions into smartphones (I don't know, fingernail clippers - floss dispensers - lighters) --- anything to lighten the load and get items out of my pockets seems like a good thing. However, sometimes technological convergence it isn't good; Sometimes the implementation is lacking and it becomes apparent that a real world analog, single purpose device, would be more suitable. What has your webOS device or other smartphone done so poorly that you find the need for a duplicate device?

Do you keep a dedicated mp3 player, a flashlight, a calendar, a GPS, a digital camera, or anything else that your smartphone implements but not well enough?
    The alarm on my Pre has only failed to go off twice. Unfortunately, both of those times I was late to work... I've had similar experiences with past cellphones as well.

I now always use an actual alarm clock to be sure I get woken up on time.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    i will continue to carry an mp3 player until the capacity for storage on a phone is on par with an 80 gig ipod classic. i know i can have all of my media in the cloud and stream from there (though there is usually a cost involved), but if there is an interruption that lasts longer than the buffer, or whatever else could happen, then no tunes. and no tunes sucks bad, man.

and while cameras on phones are getting better (mostly w just megapixel bumps and sofware enhancements), it's gong to take a lot of improvement in the optics before i'm okay with leaving the powershot at home for any event i might really care about photographing.
    My MP3 player is my alarm clock.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I was just thinking of this very topic earlier today ... briefly feeling nostalgic for 2006 when I had a dumbphone that stayed charged forever and had a reliable alarm clock. But then I remembered T9/multitap.

In answer to your question ... Since I have a Pixi+, I definitely need a digital camera (that thing is terrible). And I prefer an old-school paper calendar. Oh, and I suppose a separate MP3 player, since I'm afraid of plugging headphones into my Palm and getting stuck in headset mode.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    My MP3 player is my alarm clock.
    ..I assume that is not your webOS phone. That's funny.
    I too have had problems with the Pre's alarm. I've been lucky enough that I wake up on my own, but it's defiantly troubling.

However my last dedicated alarm failed in a terrible way. It would turn on very very softly, as if the volume was completely off, until I was around an hour late, then make one final loud noise and turn off. So I don't trust those either.

I've found the most successful way to keep the Pre's alarm always going off is just to assume the alarm slot deterioration over time. Every two weeks or so I make a new alarm (not deleting the old one), turning the old one off, and go from there.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    I've found the most successful way to keep the Pre's alarm always going off is just to assume the alarm slot deterioration over time. Every two weeks or so I make a new alarm (not deleting the old one), turning the old one off, and go from there.
    I was about to post the same thing, this is exactly how I've learned to deal with this issue. I'll use alarm#1 for a month or so and then move to alarm#2, I pretty much just keep swapping between the two and now I wakeup, even if I don't want to.