Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I sent Audiogalaxy an email asking if they were planning to develop for WebOS. This was their response:

I would love to see an Audiogalaxy app for WebOS. Anyone else?
    Pls ask Michael why. That would be interesting.
    I to would love to here more about Michael's reasoning.....As of this moment do we really know he's wrong? I love webOS but it's entirely possible that more people leave the platform each day then join it....maybe.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 10/14/2010 at 03:25 PM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    haha!

I don't agree with him.
    Prē
    Another reason Palm / HP need to step up with some sort of announcement and assure everyone that webOS is here to stay.

It does seem that the app catalog is expanding faster and faster, only problem is that most are spam or book apps.
    The only way to change this, and other developers opinions is for HPalm to get back into the game in a big way - not with the likes of a spec bumped phone.

IMHO it will take 1) webOS 2.0 to be a huge step up from 1.x, 2) a minimum of 3 devices: the Pre 2, a Pixi 2, and a "super phone". I don't see a PalmPad having any meaningful effect as that is a completely different market than the smartphone market.
    Got a similar response when i emailed about porting over the Sportacular app that Iphone has.... sigh kinda depressing..
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Another reason Palm / HP need to step up with some sort of announcement and assure everyone that webOS is here to stay.
    Whether or not WebOS sticks around isn't up to Palm/HP. It's up to the customers and the devs. If devs start leaving WebOS, the customers will follow, and the reverse is true too.

All Palm/HP can do is put out something new, market the heck out of it, and hope that it will catch on.
    But if the step up and get people interested, devs may step up and port stuff over.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I to would love to here more about Michael's reasoning.....As of this moment do we really know he's wrong? I love webOS but it's entirely possible that more people leave the platform each day then join it....maybe.
    I have noticed that when a new OS or phone is being reviewed, webOS is not even mentioned as competition anymore. webOS might not be everyones perfect platform to develop for, but its not due to the simplicity, but more the smaller market share. Very sad.

I look at WM7, the new Symbian 3 and I am not impressed at all. In fact the new N8 is a right down an embarrassment IMO. While developers have their reasons behind not jumping on board with webOS, I would also like to know why? Developers keep choosing to competes against 100's of thousands of apps when they can develop on webOS with probably no competition at all.

I don't get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    The only way to change this, and other developers opinions is for HPalm to get back into the game in a big way - not with the likes of a spec bumped phone.

IMHO it will take 1) webOS 2.0 to be a huge step up from 1.x, 2) a minimum of 3 devices: the Pre 2, a Pixi 2, and a "super phone". I don't see a PalmPad having any meaningful effect as that is a completely different market than the smartphone market.
    You are right, there is still room, but they need to make some strategic moves:

A minimum of three and a MAXIMUM of 4 models- they do not need to try to out Android Android. They operate under a different business model. Unless HP wants to lose tons of money and get nowhere, they need to avoid trying to compete with the half dozen hardware makers building Android phones. I've never had a phone I've completely liked, but if it is well built and meets my needs I'm willing to give it a try.
    HP, PLEASE resist the temptation to play someone else's game. Leverage your own strengths.

All models should be functionally identical - Different form factors yes, but the same screen size, processors, etc. This will make development easier, and will make the platform experience consistent. This will be (with better build quality and the full OS API) be a major selling point against the Android some of which are stellar, others are very mediocre.

A solid, long term commitment from HP- since people typically upgrade on 2 year cycles, nothing about phone popularity is carved in stone. (also with the large numbers of currently non-smartphone users, there is room for growth. But they need to realize that it will be a at least 2 of those cycles to get real movement. Let people (Developers, carriers, potential customers) know you have the stomach to fight it out and will continually improve your product.

Use your strengths - 1) The potential to have the platform stability of Apple, with the openness of an open development platform like Android. 2) An in (HP) in the corporate world. 3) Good consumer mind share (at least in printers, just don't charge me $50 every time I charge my battery - I know a cheap shot )

Let's see what they do, they may still falter, but they can certainly succeed.

C
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    A solid, long term commitment from HP- since people typically upgrade on 2 year cycles, nothing about phone popularity is carved in stone. (also with the large numbers of currently non-smartphone users, there is room for growth. But they need to realize that it will be a at least 2 of those cycles to get real movement. Let people (Developers, carriers, potential customers) know you have the stomach to fight it out and will continually improve your product.
    While I agree with your statement that most people upgrade on two year cycles, I disagree with what seems like your conclusion that they need to match this with their product releases.

The simple truth is that people are looking to upgrade devices every day (coming off their contracts). The original Pre was released June of 2009, that doesn't mean that they can sit on their laurels and release the next new phone June of 2011. They need to continually innovate and release upgraded models every six months.

Think Android in this. While Google doesn't manufacture phones, less than every six months (seemingly once a month) there are new hardware releases that upgrade the phones. Sure, you may have to switch carriers if you want some latest greatest device, but you always have the choice of getting an Android device that is less than a month or two old (no matter when you come off contract).

This is the problem with the single manufacturer model that HP has decided to get into. Sure, Apple makes is work, but Apple has huge brand recognition and a huge following. HP does need time to grow there brand into smartphones and it will take time, but they need to pump new devices out continually to be able to move towards the top. If they do not do this, they will always be looked at as a "little guy" in the smartphone space.
    HP could do yearly product updates on a tri-monthly basis assuming four hardware models.

Model 1 - January
    Model 2 - April
    Model 3 - July
    Model 4 - October

Thus they have four launches a year to keep them in the news (possibly with a .x software revision every time) and no model ever gets older and more outdated than a year.
    The problem is that a spec bump is a real let down the pre plus was the spec bump they need a better phone and to release it with some launch partners.its been over a year and the best they can do is a repackaged pre plus thats just b.s its no wonder nobody wants to delevelop for it.
    So basicly just droid the market and force mindshare the problem is that the pre is *** nobody wants a repackaged pre plus
    I agree with most people on here, its the hardware that is holding webos back the most not webos itself. Though its lacking there too
    a spec bump is very disappointing.

new win7 phones coming out, flood of android phones, iphones.... and i wonder why webos is declining in market share.

it would make no sense for me to buy a palm pre 2 when its just about the same phone as the palm pre plus.

it would be ironic if the palm pre 2 is nothing more than an over clocked palm pre plus. can you imagine the uproar.
    This new phone with a "minor" spec bump is still on par with most new phones out right now (1GHz).... with exception to the screen size and possibly the camera, but camera info is yet to be released... Everyone is just upset because it's not the game changing dual core people have been drooling over for months.
    I don't think HP has yet begun to fight. I know that we who are current webOS users are concerned, but their focus is not here and now. It's 2-5 years out, when they can really start to capitalize on the full ecosystem possibilities of webOS. As long as we keep getting refreshed hardware, we should be pretty happy. As long as there are more and more apps, we should be happy.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast