Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    While I agree with your statement that most people upgrade on two year cycles, I disagree with what seems like your conclusion that they need to match this with their product releases.

    The simple truth is that people are looking to upgrade devices every day (coming off their contracts). .
    Appreciate your comments, but that was not what I meant. The thought is that HP/Palm cannot catch up in 2 quarters and so need to take a long term view. Keep coming out with good stuff and promote it, but don't bail out after 6 months and say the efforts are a failure. If they only pull a 10 percent share in the first few months after the supposed "SuperPhone" hits, keep building on the success. But don't expect vault to prominence in just a few months.

    Microsoft and Google BOTH come from the "if at first you don't succeed" department. Microsoft is STILL trying, in fact their PDA/phone history is WORSE than Palm's, especially given their advantages, but their tenacity - and money - are keeping them in the game.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by ho0lee0h View Post
    I sent Audiogalaxy an email asking if they were planning to develop for WebOS. This was their response:


    I would love to see an Audiogalaxy app for WebOS. Anyone else?

    They aren't wrong.... and are 100% correct in their statement.

    That being said... it's kinda stupid in that a WebOS is a small gamble in manpower that could possibly lead to large rewards with HP on board... Companies like this that don't hustle, and are content where they are will rot from the bottom up.. and the guys at the top will still make their money and the programmers left on the street..

    BAD BAD BAD Vision. Business 101. Don't say/do what they just said. Heck they write a kik but app... HP MAY DECIDE TO BUY THEM!! but what do i know? It's like saying there is this dying company that is coming out with this amazing new phone called an iPhone but who the heck will buy that thing? Palm is dead and blackberries are AWESOME!! lets not even try and develop for this iPhone gimmicy phone and it's "web based apps"
    Last edited by antonio3; 10/14/2010 at 08:18 PM.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I don't think HP has yet begun to fight. I know that we who are current webOS users are concerned, but their focus is not here and now. It's 2-5 years out, when they can really start to capitalize on the full ecosystem possibilities of webOS. As long as we keep getting refreshed hardware, we should be pretty happy. As long as there are more and more apps, we should be happy.
    This. Everyone seems to think as soon as HP signed the papers, they could magically pump out awesome phones. I was not expecting anything from HP realistically till 2011.

    However, I did expect something from Palm, and the Pre2 looks to be it. Probably got it out as soon as they could given all the merger stuff in the summer. It will look bad in the consumers eye unfortunately. But it could be the last Palm device.... the "new" webOS stuff may just get branded HP.

    Tho, I will admit, I was hoping Palm had a tablet design ready to go. Just needed funding.
  4. #24  
    A declining platform that stayed flat even though the smartphone market as a whole grew? Basic math says the platform is still growing.

    Sounds like Michael is a dumb***
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  5. #25  
    WebOS IS a declining market. I'm still waiting for a decent To Do app, and a patch to lock the side volume buttons. Even if these items are out there, they are too hard to find. Frustrated Palm - soon to be iPhone user.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Everyone is just upset because it's not the game changing dual core people have been drooling over for months.
    Better "imagining".
    Newness Developments apps:

  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by donaldoneill View Post
    WebOS IS a declining market. I'm still waiting for a decent To Do app, and a patch to lock the side volume buttons. Even if these items are out there, they are too hard to find. Frustrated Palm - soon to be iPhone user.
    Yeah, these are pretty hard to find.

    Cloud Tasks - nik.silver <http://forums.precentral.net/members/nik.silver.html> | appSpotlight | webOSroundup

    Fliq Tasks - Mark/Space, Inc. | appSpotlight | webOSroundup

    Geotasks - Puggy Digital | appSpotlight | webOSroundup

    Hiveminder Cloud Tasks - voltar.org,llc | appSpotlight | webOSroundup

    ToDo Classic - Nathan Lowhorn | appSpotlight | webOSroundup
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    This new phone with a "minor" spec bump is still on par with most new phones out right now (1GHz).... with exception to the screen size and possibly the camera, but camera info is yet to be released... Everyone is just upset because it's not the game changing dual core people have been drooling over for months.
    Dual core would be nice, but I don't think people were necessarily requiring this in the next Palm phone. I think what people are disappointed about is that it's essentially the same phone design. Gadget lovers like to play with new things and having a phone that looks and feels almost identical to their previous gadget is a let down. Apple has been successful in doing this type of this; however they have a very popular device. The Pre (and Pixi) didn't do so well, so I think Palm users are expecting a change.

    The other disappointment is the screen. Some people do like the current screen; however I think most people would like to see it bumped up at least a little. And a bump in resolution is also necessary to match most of the current smartphones out there.
    Last edited by DanPLC; 10/15/2010 at 07:43 AM.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  9. #29  
    whether or not webOS gains traction as a mobile platform for phones is irrelevant to hp. they bought it for their printers, that will need a robust OS as the hardware continues to become more sophisticated and calls for greater integration/interface with existing networks.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    whether or not webOS gains traction as a mobile platform for phones is irrelevant to hp. they bought it for their printers, that will need a robust OS as the hardware continues to become more sophisticated and calls for greater integration/interface with existing networks.
    There's no way HP's main motivation for buying webOS was for their printers. HP's success in the mobile and tablet market are very relevant to them.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  11. #31  
    I have to agree with the Developers reluctance to produce for the WebOS market. The other two markets are just growing way to fast to spend too much time developing for WebOS. Now if it is really a couple day's worth or work to port the application it makes sense to do so. But not if there is more then that involved.

    I know this is purley relative to my situation but all my friends who had Pre's left because of little quirks or hardware issues. Most of them went to Android. After using android for a while, while I definetly do not like it as much as WebOS I think I could get to use to it. Plus it has things I would like to use but don't have access to like RemoteDesktop.
    I may be one of the people who leaves WebOs for a hiatus while praying and hoping for new stuff after CES.
  12. #32  
    @DanPLC.

    how often do form factors actually change?

    arguments can be made all original treos (except the treo pro) were essentially the same body with minor cosmetic differences.

    all blackberry curves and tours and bold variants are basically the same with some hardware and software upgrades.

    the iphones gen 1-3 were basically the same form factor, and gen 4 is their biggest change, and even that wasn't drastic.

    nokia e series.

    htc mogul, touch pro, touch pro 2.

    droid 1 and 2.

    samsung jack/ace/epix/saga

    droid X and evo...two different companies, same form factor.

    examples of similar designs are ample. Not all devices, including the pre, were that successful.

    bottom line, the pre form factor was unique when it came out, and, still is. Blackberry and motorola have emulated it. The design of the pre was widely praised when first announced. Unfortunately, there were/are major problems with palm's execution of the hardware. If they improve the build quality with the pre 2, with upgraded specs, they will be fine, and inline with what other manufacters are doing.

    I still get looks from people when they see my phone...what phone is that? They ask. Most have never heard or seen the phone. If hp improves the distribution, advertisements, and carrier support, there is alot of room for the pre line to grow.

    and the best part is, hp will release even more form factors soon.

    I honestly would choose any palm device with a keyboard over any palm slab device or small form factor as in the pixi 2...if that device is the pre 2, that's what I'll get.
  13. mk3
    mk3 is offline
    mk3's Avatar
    Posts
    575 Posts
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    #33  
    If interested then send them an email requesting it. I did.

    How else are they supposed to know we want it? Guess?

    support@audiogalaxy.com
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

    "Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
  14. #34  
    I had a weird dream last night were I saw the number of webOS users shot into a graph by a machine gun. Weird I know, but at least it kind of stabilized after the webOS crash of mid 2010.
  15. #35  
    HP/Palm/WebOs needs some bad ***** marketing and hardware. Android has awesome marketing and the os is pretty lackluster. But people buy it because Verizon knows how to market, and people tend to be sheep...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions