Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I suppose that many people are aware of this, but I was shocked to find it today.

My phone bill arrived and I noticed a strange 0,60€ charge for a SMS sent to UK (number +447950080651 ), curiosly at the time when I switched on for the first time my newly arrived Pixi.

I knew initial activation used data traffic (it's also reflected in the bill, but not charged due to data flat rate), but I couldn't imagine that an international sms would be charged to my bill

There is very little information on the internet, I have found this french forum:

Le Forum de PalmPre-France / virtual keyboard

and this german one :

SMS nach UK seit ich den Pre habe - Palm Pre Forum

(used google translator to confirm)
    Show must go on...
    wouldn't the charge would be to the phone company, not palm?

I would call your carrier.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    wouldn't the charge would be to the phone company, not palm?

I would call your carrier.
    Of course its my carrier that charges me , but for something I wasn't aware off, I think it whould be nice if Palm warned that activation can incur in international sms fees.
    It's pointless to call my carrier and waste time and patience to claim for .60€
    Just wanted to point out
    Show must go on...
    from the post on the french site it seems that he got those sms's when he did a wipe or something like that remotely with his palm profile, have you?
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    from the post on the french site it seems that he got those sms's when he did a wipe or something like that remotely with his palm profile, have you?
    no, I created a Palm Profile for the first time.

It would be interesting for people who have bought new Palm devices recently to check their bills to see if this happens to everyone (I believe in the U.S there must be a server inside the country, so it's more difficult to spot in a bill)
    Show must go on...
    Quote Originally Posted by nitu View Post
    no, I created a Palm Profile for the first time.

It would be interesting for people who have bought new Palm devices recently to check their bills to see if this happens to everyone (I believe in the U.S there must be a server inside the country, so it's more difficult to spot in a bill)
    I'm in the uk and never been billed for any such thing.
    Was the phone absolutely brand spanking new and directly from the carrier?

Pip
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    I'm in the uk and never been billed for any such thing.
    Was the phone absolutely brand spanking new and directly from the carrier?

Pip
    yes, it was brand new with it's plastics on, bought it from my carrier (Vodafone Spain)
    Show must go on...
    I've activated my Pre multiple times during device switches and move to my Pre Plus, never got charged.

Maybe an Euro thing...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIΙ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I've activated my Pre multiple times during device switches and move to my Pre Plus, never got charged.

Maybe an Euro thing...
    That makes it more weird ...

--Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
    Show must go on...
    a total of 2 euros cost me the damn sms!!
    I can confirm & remember this from 1.4.5 pre-, +

Virgin Mobile on unlocked press in UK.
    In my carrier account details, this sms number appears a dozen times but each time there is a credit back also for it. I.e finally no charge.

I assumed it was a network side sms account setup mechanism, during device activation. Heheh Palm's hidden revenue stream?
    Global Posts
    941 Global Posts
    Checked my phone bill from 2009 and also got this SMS fee from that number. Luckily my operator doesnt charge much for sending texts abroad, 0,16 euro.
    Last edited by Andreas; 05/21/2011 at 03:59 PM.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Every time you log into a Palm Profile with a cellular connection active, it will phone home with an SMS.

The code which does it is visible in a node.jsjsjs $service$ $in$ $webOS$ $2$.$x$ ...

-- Rod