Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Okay Precentral help me out, one of my closest buddies is an Apple freak, he curently holds the iPhone 4 and often flaunts his hardware in my face, FF camera, glass screen, inovation, bla bla, and wait... MULTITASKING??? I was trying to explain how webOS has the better multitasking and 1up him, however, iPhone4 seems to have good multitasking? Is there something I am missing? Help me defend WebOS!

Abdiel-David
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    iOS: Can't continue game from where you were before you were ..forced.. To deal with an SMS.

WebOS: Can continue where you left off in a game because it's a live app, you *chose* to suspend play and reply to a Facebook notification.
    Open all your apps and leave them open, that should shut him up. I have had up to 40 on my Pre+ at one time, lets see an iPhone pull that.
    Ieko, of course you can continue a game. The only game I have is Angry Birds, but have no problem continuing if i get a call, or a text, or pause it, in mid "toss", even.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    That's true, he was just "not impressed" by card view, say iOS has "neater" multitasking, sure Steve Jobs gives him a little bar at the bottom of the screen with multiple apps, and thats "innovation"
    Well...it's a matter of function. It does what he wants, and he's cool with that.

You're not gonna convince him that his iPhone can't multitask. I personally think Palm's system is brilliantly simple and very understandable, but that doesn't mean the iPhone doesn't work just fine.

Technically of course, let's not talk about how anemic Palm phones are right now. Try to stream Pandora over bluetooth in the background and just "multitask" while checking your email. You'd never see an iPhone stutter like that. But alas.
    Yes, the newest iPhone 4 OS allows multi-tasking... but not on all applications. A HUGE difference between iOS and webOS is the fact that webOS is built for this feature. But with iOS, it's actually up to application developers to enable the ability to multitask within the app itself (and to do so, they have to follow very stiff rules set by Apple in doing so)...and only a small fraction of iOS apps have been updated by the devs to add multitasking functionality.

Games like Angry Birds and Plants vs. Zombies are built according to the iOS multitasking rules, so you can stop and resume them when moving between functions. But with an application like YouTube, iOS will not truly multitask like webOS. With iOS, to have a YouTube video load you have to have the app fully open and be staring at that screen. Unless you have that application fully open, the video cannot load. In contrast, webOS multitasking allows users to have apps like YouTube load in the background without the application having to be the main focus (you can be on another app in the meantime) - you can't do that with Apple.

To quote TechWorld: "Let's be clear about what iOS4's multitasking is: Rather than run multiple apps at the same time, iOS4 freezes the ones that aren't in use, with the exception of certain functions. Music, for instance, can play in the background, VoIP apps can answer calls and GPS apps can give directions.But most apps won't do anything except go to sleep, which means one of the classic tricks of multitasking, loading one task while you perform another, is not available unless the developer adds that function under a special task completion API. Some apps, such as Flickr, may take advantage of this feature for large file transfers, but others won't. Waiting for a YouTube video to buffer over a 3G connection? It won't go anywhere unless you're staring at the loading screen.
    ...What bothers me the most, however, is the sloppy implementation of iPhone multitasking. Every time you open an app, it gets added to the tray, and the only way to close it is by pressing and holding any app icon, then clicking the top-left corner of the apps you want to close. If you don't micromanage, the tray quickly becomes overrun with clutter, making it hard to find the apps you really need.
    "... not to mention a hard drain on the iPhone battery when multitasking is enabled.

Multi-tasking means I can perform multiple tasks via apps at the same time. What iOS does is put "most" apps into sleep mode (or freeze it) while running one app in the foreground. This is called fast-app-switch, not multi-tasking. Apple is performing slight of hand with many apps, and multi-tasking (fast app switching) with only a small percentage.

Differences in multi-tasking aren't as night-and-day as they were last year, but there are still some little areas (like above) that stand out like giants when the 2 systems are compared.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    But with an application like YouTube, iOS will not truly multitask like webOS. With iOS, to have a YouTube video load you have to have the app fully open and be staring at that screen. Unless you have that application fully open, the video cannot load. In contrast, webOS multitasking allows users to have apps like YouTube load in the background without the application having to be the main focus (you can be on another app in the meantime) - you can't do that with Apple.
    That's kind of true. If you use the HTML5 webapp (which is far superior to the default YouTube client), videos will buffer in the background.

That said, I don't understand why Apple hasn't flipped the multitasking switch on the YouTube client considering that's the way most iPhone users access YouTube.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    well put guys, thanks for the information, he is the type of Apple user who will shove the product down your throat insisting how amazing it is and how far superior a product it is. It gets me mad I am human I can't help it lol
    That's why iPhone users have a bad reputation. One in four or five is a smug blankety-blank like your guy - whatever features Apple has are the good ones. Phones that don't have them are inferior. Features that Apple doesn't have (or has but not as well-implemented) are irrelevant and kind of ridiculous even - if they weren't, Apple'd have them. Phones that have them are stupid, "I certainly wouldn't use that feature".

People like that are a relatively small group among iPhone owners... but a very, very, VERY vocal one. And remember, it only took two arab terrorists to give an entire world religion a terrible rep.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/12/2010 at 09:07 AM. Reason: language
    Quote Originally Posted by AbdielRN View Post
    Okay Precentral help me out, one of my closest buddies is an Apple freak, he curently holds the iPhone 4 and often flaunts his hardware in my face, FF camera, glass screen, inovation, bla bla, and wait... MULTITASKING??? I was trying to explain how webOS has the better multitasking and 1up him, however, iPhone4 seems to have good multitasking? Is there something I am missing? Help me defend WebOS!

Abdiel-David
    I have both an iPhone and a Pre. The Pre's multitasking is better than the iPhone for sure...and what little time I've had with Android...theirs is even worse. I will say that if you are only switching between 3 or 4 apps back-and-forth they are equally as quick. They just go about it differently.

Notifications....the Pre wins hands down and one of the traits were the Pre has iOS beat by a mile. Same with an integrated messaging app. I don't like separate messaging apps for each company's messenger and apps like Fring look like a cartoon.

The problem with iOS owners (especially those who've never owned another smartphone device) tend to be blind about the competition. You will never win the argument even if you're right.
    The nice thing about webOS multitasking is that I don’t have to think about it. It just works with all applications and all functions of the phone. I can open a card and close a card without having to manage what app is loaded or open an app to close it. If a feature works so well that you don’t realize your using it then it is a well designed feature.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Guys, I think you're turning this into a molehill. The guy probably just likes his iPhone. He just didn't care much for the card system on the Pre.

You can't really blame him. New WebOS converts are rare right now.
    iphone os does what most want. While in an app double click the button and it shows recent used apps. Faster than WebOS often. Don't argue with him.

webos can have a music player, oandora, and podcast player all avail from the lock screen. Play one the other pauses etc.

use advanced gestures..not even showing cards.

show off apps like grooveshark and neato and geostrings.

both are great os. His is more complete.. Be prepared before fighting.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    That's true, he was just "not impressed" by card view, say iOS has "neater" multitasking, sure Steve Jobs gives him a little bar at the bottom of the screen with multiple apps, and thats "innovation"
    The best way to show how the iOS' technically impressive multitasking isn't as useful as WebOS' card is to have someone balance their checking account using only the phone. Advanced gesture swiping between cards - your online banking app, your checkbook program and calculator - is so much easier than clicking the home button to bring up a list of other running apps and then swiping to the app you need and clicking to "activate".

To be honest, iOS' multitasking is sufficient for most tasks but for some you just can't beat the cards metaphor combined with advanced swiping. Its the combination of cards and advanced swiping is what makes multi-tasking on WebOS so easy to use. Switching between apps is pretty straight forward in any mobile OS nowadays, and iOS handles it quite well, especially memory management, but when you have to use multiple apps to accomplish one task, the UI of WebOS provides a better experience.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    See thats what I am thinking, Palm gave us a really good experience with multitasking among other things that let me be honest, we have a right to be happy about, not EVERYONE wants a Blackberry, Android, or iPhone, but is it just me or is it really hard to discuss phones with iOS users?? Granted not all are arrogant, but it is like God Forbid you disagree with anything their phone has and they will take it to heart and really diminish your product! It is unbelievable, I know its wrong to stereotype but 75% of the iphone users I know are this way, it seems!
    but is it just me or is it really hard to discuss phones with iOS users??
    It is when you begin with the premise that the way your phone implements functionality is better just because.

I switched from a Pre to an iPhone 4 and I have the same multitasking workflow on iOS that I did on WebOS. The biggest difference is the way iOS implements multitasking results in better battery life and doesn't burn up as many CPU cycles.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    lol yeah good pointe
    but is it just me or is it really hard to discuss phones with iOS users??
    Depends.
    This thread should be titled "Multi-tasking vs. Save-stating" since iOS doesn't actually multi-task app processes.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast