Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    This thread should be titled "Multi-tasking vs. Save-stating" since iOS doesn't actually multi-task app processes.
    No but it emulates it well and with better battery performance.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I'm getting flashbacks to a Windows 3 vs AmigaOS debate that once happened. Co-operative vs. pre-emptive multi-tasking.

Just hope this one doesn't end the same way that one did.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    No but it emulates it well and with better battery performance.
    BS, my battery life has gone to pot since updating from iOS3 to iOS4. Even disabling everything sitting in the "active" apps list doesn't help. The only thing that helps is manually disabling the WiFi when I'm not using it which is an incredible announce. My Pre's stock battery lasts longer sleeping with card processes running and only the cell radio enabled then my Touch will last "sleeping" with WiFi enabled. If by "emulates it well and with better battery performance" you mean doesn't do anything useful, then yea you'd be right.

But don't worry, Apple "just works".
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/13/2010 at 01:20 PM. Reason: language
    BS, my battery life has gone to pot since updating from iOS3 to iOS4. Even disabling everything sitting in the "active" apps list doesn't help. The only thing that helps is manually disabling the WiFi when I'm not using it which is an incredible announce. My Pre's stock battery lasts longer sleeping with card processes running and only the cell radio enabled then my Touch will last "sleeping" with WiFi enabled. If by "emulates it well and with better battery performance" you mean doesn't do anything useful, then yea you'd be right.

But don't worry, Apple "just works".

Apps don't consume CPU cycles when they're in the background.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/13/2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: edited quoted text
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post

Apps don't consume CPU cycles when they're in the background.
    i.e. They don't DO anything. Hence why I said "doesn't do anything useful".
    i.e. They don't DO anything. Hence why I said "doesn't do anything useful".
    So how would idle processes neuter your battery life?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    So how would idle processes neuter your battery life?
    The battery life was just a general complaint about iOS4.
    iOS apps in the background don't consume CPU cycles...unless they're actually running using one of the background services. I think it's actually a pretty elegant system. It places hard limits on what apps can do without your direct attention.

I actually think a combination of the iOS API with the WebOS interface would be just about perfect.

After all, for any significant non-music real-time activity, like games or camera or video, WebOS also suspends the app when its in the background. That's not a shortcoming, that makes sense. You *want* it to pause your game when you put in the background.

The best examples of multitasking - music, twitter, messaging, GPS - they're all provided for under the iOS design, and in fact they pretty much work the same on both iOS and WebOS. There's not much room for complaint.

Except for the battery life, yeah. Running Skype just sitting in the background on iOS just about cuts my iPod's life in half.
    Advanced gestures make the multitasking experience much better on weOS. You just swipe to the right or left instead of double clicking a button to bring up a list of already open apps and then having to swipe and tap that app to open. It's a simpler process. I think what apple has done works great too but it's not as efficient as webOS. Once webOS 2.0 gets here, it will be an even better experience.

The iphone though opens apps so much faster and the scrolling experience is much smoother that in the end it would be hard to show an avid apple user the multitasking advantage of webOS.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12