1.    #1  
    So we saw the article on the main page the other day: http://www.precentral.net/webos-andr...hich-more-open

It seems like webOS was declared the winner as the most "open".

But, can you lose by winning? If the platform is the most open and easily customizeable, how are are large companies going to feel about security of the devices?

I guess what I am saying is that if someone can go out and install Preware, install the Bypass PIN patch, and now their device is left with confidential material on it, how likely is that company is going to deploy webOS devices?
    I wouldn't be to shocked if HP provides a way for things to be locked down so that software like preware and wosqi don't work on corporate devices.

Of course this can be seen as a positive for the corporate buyer since they can have their IT department customize the phone easily to provide employees the with specialized services and apps that they need.

Im a glass half-full kind of person. I guess you are not?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    I wouldn't be to shocked if HP provides a way for things to be locked down so that software like preware and wosqi don't work on corporate devices.

Of course this can be seen as a positive for the corporate buyer since they can have their IT department customize the phone easily to provide employees the with specialized services and apps that they need.

Im a glass half-full kind of person. I guess you are not?
    Well, I guess I wasn't really talking about a company providing the physical phones to their employees, I was talking about "bring your own phone to the company".

For instance, I work for a HUGE company. They currently all BlackBerry, iPhone and are in the process of allowing Android to connect to their infrastructure. Some pretty hefty security requirements to live up to before it is allowed.

Therefore, the company has nothing to do with your obtaining the device so they can't control what is on there or how it is accessed. I believe part of the MS Exchange stuff is the requirement that a PIN must be entered to unlock the device, but it is that PIN entry that is being overridden by the Bypass PIN patch.

I fear that if companies see that it is as simple as installing a patch to bypass that PIN lock, they would choose not to allow webOS to the company table.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    This would be pretty easy - just prevent access to developer mode.

Really, though, is it any less safe than jailbroken iPhones or rooted android devices? It may not be BB-level security, but the companies that HAVE to have that already don't allow iPhones or Android devices to connect, and probably wouldn't allow HP phones to either.
    Just goes to show why Palm cannot win: people only look for the downsides to whatever they do or don't.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    This would be pretty easy - just prevent access to developer mode.

Really, though, is it any less safe than jailbroken iPhones or rooted android devices? It may not be BB-level security, but the companies that HAVE to have that already don't allow iPhones or Android devices to connect, and probably wouldn't allow HP phones to either.
    Yep again, you're right. I don't know how they have done this, but I just stumbled across an internal link that says they have determined a way to detect if an iPhone is jailbroken or an android is rooted, and if so it will not allow it to connect.

Perhaps there is some way to detect if a webOS phone is in dev mode.

But as for right now they just say "No" to webOS.