Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    I love gestures, but their downside is you have to learn or discover them, and then memorize them. Look at the number of "wow, I didn't know you could do that" comments in response to the tip blog posts.

I have an idea to make them discoverable, sort of how JustType is brought to the fore by making a search widget:

WebOS will log how many times the user has used events such as: app menu, system menu, center button/LED, wave quick start, icon rearrange, slide to delete.

If any of these aren't used at all, or unused in the past two days (or whatever), a little place marker or speech bubble will pop-up and hop around until any touch event cause it to disappear. Hitting the pop-up directly would lead to a tutorial program that would describe the tip with perhaps an illustration, video or exercise.

I got the idea from QuickOffice on the iPad. When opened or unused for a period of time, a little box appears and hops up and down with the words "Tap and hold" to let you know there's a "hidden" function.

Another option is would be to use notifications instead of miniwidgets. That way you could choose to minimize and ignore until later.

Obviously, there'd be a way to disable these tips/hints through an app, or in the linked tutorial, so as not to annoy super power users like meself. ;-)

Couldn't the above be implemented today easily?
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Also: having an notification would mean that a special "hint!" icon could be used, like for example....an animated paper clip. (just when you thought you were safe!!! aaahhhhhh!!!!!)
    <<Thread Moved>>

Let them know... Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    After being nagged by the "Check out the Gesture Tutorial/Stuck? tap here to learn more..." notification pop-up about many times on webOS 2.2 on a Pre3, I'm happy to see that my above wish was indeed realized. I don't know if user behavior is being polled, or if it simply pops up on every restart (as it seems to do), but it's good to see it implemented.

Ok. That said, this effing pop-up is driving me batty. How about a patch to desactivate it? Maybe I have to use it once in order for it to not show up anymore. Trying that now...
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)