1.    #1  
    So, it seems to me that the Pre (WebOS) can never catch up to iPhone OS or Android in terms of app #. As such, that shouldn't even be a focus for HP/Palm. However, could HP/Palm survey the apps on iPhone OS and Android and come up with a couple thousand of the most popular ones, then with HP's deep pockets, simply pay for those apps to be developed for WebOS? Android and iPhone will always be able to use app # as a criticism of WebOS, but if HP/Palm could get the most popular ones developed for WebOS at least they could counter with the fact, that yeah, those OS have more apps, but a lot of them are crap and WebOS has all the important ones that people really care about. It'd be nice if HP could throw their weight around a little bit with app development.

Pardon me if this kind of thing has already been discussed. Just interested to see if this is even a possibility.
    Or they could come out with kick-<****> hardware in different form factors including, but not limited to, phones, printers, a tablet, toasters, refrigerinters, etc, and make money off of those things. Then more people will buy them and will demand apps. Then developers will notice the platform and want to get in on the action so they can make more money, then HP will make even more money off the sale of the apps....and away it goes!

Hardware comes first, then the apps. It doesn't work the other way around. No one will argue with the success of iTunes and iPhones. But everyone forgets that the iPhone was out for a year before they started selling third-party apps. HP doesn't have to be an Apple wanna-be, but the model works.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/01/2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: language filter
    They can catch up, they need more APIs that mimick what the iPhone APIs can do and then they can catch up.

The OS and the hardware was built to make porting over from iOS a breeze. It will take more APIs and time.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlangley21 View Post
    Or they could come out with kick-*** hardware in different form factors including, but not limited to, phones, printers, a tablet, toasters, refrigerinters, etc, and make money off of those things. Then more people will buy them and will demand apps. Then developers will notice the platform and want to get in on the action so they can make more money, then HP will make even more money off the sale of the apps....and away it goes!

Hardware comes first, then the apps. It doesn't work the other way around. No one will argue with the success of iTunes and iPhones. But everyone forgets that the iPhone was out for a year before they started selling third-party apps. HP doesn't have to be an Apple wanna-be, but the model works.
    With how fast the smartphone market is moving these days, I don't know if they can wait around that long. Even if HP/Palm released an amazing phone tomorrow, it would take quite a while for that to impact app development. With the gap b/w Android/iPhone and WebOS, it would take a number of stellar phones from HP/Palm to generate enough convince developers to make apps for WebOS. I think HP/Palm can take a different approach. Whereas Apple and Android use phones used the popularity of their devices to spur app development, perhaps HP/Palm could pay for app development and use that to spur interest in their devices. Why not?
    You still have to have devices for the apps to run on.

By just saying, Hey look, we have the same good apps as those guys! So what? IMO HP wants to build an entire ecosystem around webOS. They are going to build the phones, PalmPad, webOS printers, anyway. That is going to cost money to develop and build. If HP is selling devices, the app developers will come to the platform on their own. It won't cost HP anything to get them to develop for webOS.

By going your route, they spend money to get app developers and then they have to go spend money to develop devices. The point of third-party apps is to let them be creative and take a risk on developing the app in order to sell it to the consumers. Why should HP be involved in that?

Release stellar hardware and people will buy it. Once they buy the hardware and build a user base, the developers will come.
    webOS is only a little over a year old, and HP just came on-board. webOS's future won't be determined in months... but in years. Apps will come as HP moves forward.
    Considering there were only about 288 apps the first time I opened the app catalog, I'd say they're coming along pretty well.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    (YankBoy)
    How can the Pre catch up in App #?

(Rush's Response)
    Maybe if we get more developers to make more apps. Thanks for your concern though.
    The way for WebOS to increase its mindshare is the release a great WiFi only tablet in Q1 2011 with great PIM applications - HP/Palm needs to get back to its Business and PDA roots.

There is only one tablet on the market now, iPad, and people are looking for alternatives.

If the initial release is a WiFi only tablet, anyone on any carrier can have one. HP/Palm needs to get WebOS in the hands of people on all carriers. If there is a good demand for the WebOS tablet then the developers will come and the apps developed should scale down to smartphone screen sizes.

Then when HP/Palm do release a high end smartphone, people will buy them because of their experience with the WebOS table.
    Whether it's phones or tablets, it still starts with hardware first, then the apps will come.

Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    If the initial release is a WiFi only tablet, anyone on any carrier can have one. HP/Palm needs to get WebOS in the hands of people on all carriers.
    In your scenario, HP must get Mobile Hotspot to work on all phones on all carriers. Now that would be a great hardware selling point, which would entice app developers.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    So, it seems to me that the Pre (WebOS) can never catch up to iPhone OS or Android in terms of app #. As such, that shouldn't even be a focus for HP/Palm. However, could HP/Palm survey the apps on iPhone OS and Android and come up with a couple thousand of the most popular ones, then with HP's deep pockets, simply pay for those apps to be developed for WebOS? Android and iPhone will always be able to use app # as a criticism of WebOS, but if HP/Palm could get the most popular ones developed for WebOS at least they could counter with the fact, that yeah, those OS have more apps, but a lot of them are crap and WebOS has all the important ones that people really care about. It'd be nice if HP could throw their weight around a little bit with app development.

Pardon me if this kind of thing has already been discussed. Just interested to see if this is even a possibility.
    Why bother with porting iPhone and Android stuff. HP's got the pockets to do what Microsoft is doing, paying developers. WebOS needs to distinguish itself not become a copycat. I sure hope when they bring out their tablet they don't have the word Pad in it. That will be a sure sign they are on the wrong track.
    They should use their relation ship with MS to get a port of Office, that's something no ones got and would be a good enterprise selling point. Secondly, they need to either steal or get the equivalent PRPRPR/$media$ $people$ $from$ $Apple$ $and$ $do$ $some$ $cool$ $commercials$ $showing$ $off$ $their$ $product$.
    Couldn't care less about quantity. An Office Suite would be nice though, and it sounds like that's just around the corner.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I still think that HP moneybags needs a multi-pronged approach. If the hardware is awesome, such as a weight-stripped McLaren to use an analogy, but there are no creature comforts (apps), then the purpose of the vehicle is limited to a very specific type of utility or entertainment.

So, to extend the analogy, the average user wants a vehicle that's fun, looks or feels fast, and has A/C, leather seats, a sunroof, seat warmers, or whatever. They don't necessarily want a car that is just built to go 200+ mph.

The point is that we may get great hardware (horsepower) but if it doesn't include those creature comforts that many have come to expect (apps) then the average user won't be as inclined. I mean looks at android, only now are phones coming out that you can frag on. THey've had very few games, and they have rolled over us like they are laying pavement.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    I had android for a little bit and it was really frustrating to open the just in apps and you have to skim through nothing but crap to maybe find one good app. App # isn't an issue to me but it is for commercials I guess.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    true but to be honest we have to sift through crap too. without PC and webosroundup it would take forever to get through app book crap
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Couldn't care less about quantity. An Office Suite would be nice though, and it sounds like that's just around the corner.
    thank the Lord! we will finally be "business class"
    Last edited by Rkguy; 10/02/2010 at 10:48 PM.