Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I've been depending on Sprint Navigation for a few months quite successfully, but there are a few quirks that bother me to the point that I'm now in the market for a real GPS solution. Every week I'm in a new city running a route to places I've never been. It scares the hell out of me when I lose the network and Sprint Nav' goes down. Plus, it never seems to know which direction I'm going until too late. I hate making U-Turns in my 18 foot truck :/

I don't want to break the bank, but am looking for the most bang for the buck. Recommendations?
    garmin 765t is what I use.

bluetooth, lifetime traffic, less than $200 for a refurb on places like amazon.
    I use a separate dedicated GPS (Garmin Nuvi) in my car in addition to the Pre.

(Actually that should be did use, since somebody broke the window out of my car and stole my Garmin earlier this week).
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    I have it mounted next to a touchstone on a proclip mount.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    TomTom 340-TM. I got one brand new for $145 on Amazon. You get a 4.3" screen, spoken street names, and advanced lane guidance. The "M" stands for lifetime maps, and the "T" for lifetime traffic updates. The 340-S ("S" for spoken street names) comes without the map updates or traffic tracking ability, but I found those features to be only $20 extra and therefore worth it. I'm still not sure how useful the traffic updates are because I rarely drive in traffic, but I know that a single map update purchased separately will cost $55! This model has no Bluetooth integration, but the windshield mount is excellent, being both sturdy and easy to put on/off the windshield. I have only briefly used competitor devices, but I prefer the user interface and information layout on TomTom devices to anything else I've seen.
    Last edited by Diesel Donkey; 09/30/2010 at 06:38 PM.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Do any of your solutions allow you to avoid toll roads? I can choose Highway or Streets on Sprint Nav', niether of which works so well.
    most models have options for routing around tolls. My garmin does.
    I travel in a lot in the tri-state area (CA, AZ & NV) and use my Sprint Nav all of the time, very dependable, I never worry when I am out of town and using it. Before I take off, I look at the map view to see what direction to go, only takes a couple of seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    Do any of your solutions allow you to avoid toll roads? I can choose Highway or Streets on Sprint Nav', niether of which works so well.
    Toll roads are hard to avoid in Oklahoma. Best bet is to get a PikePass for your windshield (electronic toll reader) which saves you a bit of money.

Don't know what the situation is in your area.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    ...I never worry when I am out of town and using it. Before I take off, I look at the map view to see what direction to go, only takes a couple of seconds.
    I've used the map view occasionally, but find it too slow and inaccurate when trying to zoom. I take it you've never seen the dreaded R (roaming) which causes Sprint Navigator to lose all functionality.
    another vote for Garmin Nuvi
    Is there any good turn by turn voice gps app that doesn't break the bank like the 10-15 a month service provider option?
    I work field service... and am in a different city pretty much every day... for driving, get a stand-alone gps... I use a Garmin Nuvi 1690 i believe... I use the phone gps for walking directions, and getting back to my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    I've been depending on Sprint Navigation for a few months quite successfully, but there are a few quirks that bother me to the point that I'm now in the market for a real GPS solution. Every week I'm in a new city running a route to places I've never been. It scares the hell out of me when I lose the network and Sprint Nav' goes down. Plus, it never seems to know which direction I'm going until too late. I hate making U-Turns in my 18 foot truck :/

I don't want to break the bank, but am looking for the most bang for the buck. Recommendations?