1.    #1  
    I have read and read I can't figure it out. Since I have had to doctor my phone now when I plug in the usb to my pc nothing happens!! No just charge. No usb. Nothing. It showes up as unspecified. The properties show only the model as Pre. Everything else is unavailable. Hardware shows 3 palm Novacom and 1 usb composite device. But it won't let me in. Any help would be great. O I have no internet connection. I'm just trying to back up photos to my hard drive. Thanx in advance!!
    Do you have your device in Developer Mode?
  3.    #3  
    yes
    Try pressing Sym + Red Key + U to put the device into USB mode.
  5.    #5  
    I did try that with no luck. Again thanx for your time.
    When you did that, was the device plugged into the computer, or was it unplugged?

You can also try running the Repair Utility. You can put your device into Recovery Mode and then run the repair utility as if you were running the Doctor. That will check your device for any missing/corrupted files. To get into Recovery mode: Pull your battery, plug the battery back in while holding the Volume UP key until you see the big USB icon on the screen. Then plug your device into the computer and run the utility.
    When you did that, was the device plugged into the computer, or was it unplugged?

You can also try running the Repair Utility. You can put your device into Recovery Mode and then run the repair utility as if you were running the Doctor. That will check your device for any missing/corrupted files. To get into Recovery mode: Pull your battery, plug the battery back in while holding the Volume UP key until you see the big USB icon on the screen. Then plug your device into the computer and run the utility.
  8.    #8  
    nope! Tried the recovery no luck. I held the volume key for a while. The usb icon never showed!
    I've been having a similar issue which I have yet to remedy, being quite knowledgeable when it comes to PC's and tech in general this one has me stumped. I checked all the common things other people have stated helped them and none worked. This includes repairing via reboot while holding the volume key, and trying to force usb mode (orange/white+sym+u).

I have 2 pc's in the house running Windows 7, 1 running linux and 1 still running Vista, all of them detect my phone and let it enter USB mode accept this laptop. When it connects here I get an error sound and the phone immediately enters charge mode, it doesn't pop up the option for usb mode. I know it isn't the cord because I can un-plug it and hook it up to any other PC or laptop in the house and it works.

The only thing I've come up with now is that Windows is the one mucking it up. I've even tried installing the novacom driver on here and it still behaves the same. If I come up with anything new I will be sure to post it here.

Addition:
    If I leave my phone plugged into my laptop while rebooting it installs the USB drivers during the process, but once the phone enters the final init` before the main interface shows up my PC makes the device error noise and the phone remains with the same problem.

Does anyone know exactly how the USB mode process works? Does the PC tell the phone or does the phone tell the PC it can access in this manor? I still believe windows may be screwing up the drivers.
    Last edited by srelysian; 09/30/2010 at 02:28 PM.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Did you try a different USP port on your PC? My Pre does not work with all of my USB ports. The 2 in the front don't work with my pre.....these USB ports do work with thumb drives.
    Reboot your Pc and your Pre and start over.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Quote Originally Posted by JesseFont View Post
    Did you try a different USP port on your PC? My Pre does not work with all of my USB ports. The 2 in the front don't work with my pre.....these USB ports do work with thumb drives.
    My laptop has 4 usb ports on it, I've tried in all 4 and none work. I also tried my palm in 2 other devices now including my xbox360 and my Viewsonic media player, it works on both of those as well. I did find 2-3 registry entries regarding the device that refuse to be deleted even when I have permission. I wonder if that's causing the problem.
    Ok, this is the last update from me because, while I can't find the problem, I found a way around it in my case.. let me explain. Last tuesday my pixi was attacked by a swingline stapler at work. I had insurance so I got a new one which showed up in a poor state (vibrate toggle switch was loose, speaker was blown). After a bit of complaining to sprint's insurance company they ended up replacing my pixi with a pre (woohoo for me). The battery was half-dead while going through the activation so I hooked it up to my laptop here while I completed it to keep a charge going.

It popped up the USB mode option!? So I choose just charge for now, completed my setup and begin to install all my favorite toys starting with preware. After switching to dev mode and rebooting I am getting the same problem as stated in previous posts. Thinking back, I never returned my pixi to normal mode from the last time dev was enabled. So this morning, before work I decided to switch back out of dev to see if I get the same result as I did. And sure enough, my pre is in USB mode as I type this.

So, check to see if you guys are in developer mode and if so switch back and see if you get the same result as I did. I know it's not a proper fix since every other device in my house can use USB while in dev mode but atleast I can now access my pre on my laptop with an additional phone reboot rather than hike downstairs to my "man cave", re-download the file I want to transfer, etc.

I hope this helps someone else, and maybe someone can figure out exactly what the difference is between dev and non-dev that'd cause a PC to reject it.