Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Great News, we now have over 6,000 apps. In fact, we have almost doubled the number of apps from 05/16/2010!

Drum roll please:
    Total as of today 09/28/2010 (TA DA), 6144!

There have been so many naysayers, who thought webOS would die off due to lack of apps. In fact the developer of dateBK 6, as recently as 2 weeks before the buyout was announced claimed that webOS would die off. He felt that the Palm name would be bought for pocket change from who ever bought Palm, for the good will use of the name. (Some deep pockets, if $1.2 BILLION is pocket change).

He has not returned any of my emails about reconsidering his decision and I doubt he will bother, (to either answer me or write a webOS version). However, Splashdata did buy Agendus and told me months ago, they would make a version for webOS. Now that we almost doubled the number of apps in only 4 1/2 months and now that HP did buy Palm, I would think we are that much closer to seeing it happen.

Here is how the total figure breakdown:

Catalog Apps 4551
    Home Brew Apps 539
    Web Apps 722
    Beta Apps 332
    Total as of today 09/28/2010 (drum roll please), 6144!
    Total from May 16th, 2010 (minus) 3320
    Total new apps added 2824

Palm has been working with app developers, (sending personnel if needed or having app developers come to Palm), to help port apps. Now that palm has released two different set of tools to port apps, it is so easy to port apps, that many are done in as little as one afternoon.

If you go pack to front page articles on this site, you will see that 3 D games have been ported in only one afternoon. Imagine how many lines of base code, must go into making a 3 D game, (and they have been ported in only one afternoon). Imagine how much faster it will be to port far less complex apps!

HP has held it's first contest for non Palm employees to write apps. Keep in mind that many of these employees never used a webOS phone before the buyout. 500 apps were approved from that contest. From what I have heard, HP will do this again in the NEAR future.

webOS Developer Days are now being held in NYC, (11/19-20/2010), as well as the original one held in Calif. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to think there will be more of these around the country and abroad.

From the beginning Palm has encouraged to the webOS user to form a community to develop webOS apps. Thus the Home Brew Community was born. To date the Home Brew Community has developed over 500 apps, in approx the 1st year of it's existence. Other platforms have discouraged the end user from the app market, (or has outright forbidden it). Instead Palm welcomed them with open arms. Many of these were written before the two new forms of porting and adapting tools were released!

There already has been quite a bit of talk online about webOS 2.0. Let's not forget that there still has yet to be a webOS 2.0 release date.

HP (Todd Bradley), just announced they expect to sell 15 million webOS printers. The paragraph below is quoted from the front page article on this site and from tech crunch:

(Todd) Bradley says that he expects that the tablet market, which HP plans on entering in a big way, will be a $40 Billion-with-a-B market in the next few years. Bradley also mentioned that next year he believes his company will sell 15 million webOS-powered printers. Bradley sees webOS offering a consistent user interface between phones and tablets (and printers, we guess).

My take on all of this, is that today's 6144 total apps is just a drop in the bucket.

Three cheers to all of the webOS owners and developers. I also want to toss in an extra cheer for the Home Brew community, many of who started working with webOS as a lark, (and you all have parented the birth of a new level of cooperation between the creator of a platform and the very talented end user/app writers and creators).

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    my app catalog says 3906. Where are you seeing these other 600+ apps?
    Quote Originally Posted by spongamabob View Post
    I also show only 3906
    Quote Originally Posted by spongamabob View Post
    I also show only 3906
    3906 is what the average user will see because they don't know about home brew, web and beta apps.
    can't talk for jay but I'm assuming some apps show for pixi and pre and different languages
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    can't talk for jay but I'm assuming some apps show for pixi and pre and different languages
    I see nearly a 1000 less then that cause i live in canada.. some apps are region locked.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    If palm could just let me buy the .ipk file off an apps website with my credit card I would prefer as I don't have telephony servico ahora.
    The only number that matters is what's officially available in the app catalog. Your average user doesn't know about the beta catalog, homebrew, etc. Besides, these numbers are largely skewed because they're not accounting for the duplicate apps that are available across multiple sources.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    The only number that matters is what's officially available in the app catalog. Your average user doesn't know about the beta catalog, homebrew, etc. Besides, these numbers are largely skewed because they're not accounting for the duplicate apps that are available across multiple sources.
    The press counts all apps when counting Apple why shouldn't we? Also, if the "average" user goes to this site, they they see when going to the app section, that there are for different app categories within the app section of this site. Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Plus AppScoop is a free and very easy app to use to get these beta and off-catalog apps.

Any user can do it without needing to know how to hack their phone

We should really promote AppScoop more to normal users
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    3906 is what the average user will see because they don't know about home brew, web and beta apps.
    I am well aware of homebrew, web, and beta apps. I wasn't including them in my numbers. I was referring to the 4500+ catalog apps he was talking about.... But as other people have posted I guess it is for apps that are country specific.
  13.    #13  
    Hi all,

In addition, when counting Apple's & Android apps, they are counting all of them, including the fact that an app is available in multi-languages, each counts as a separate app!

Take care,

Jay

PS I would think far more apps are downloaded from this site then from Palm, therefore the average user would see that there are 4 categories of apps, not one. Therefore, the "average user" does know about web apps, home brew apps, beta apps as well as official apps. Please give the "average" user some credit.

I am willing to bet that this site is frequently mentioned on Palm's forum, so how would the "average" owner NOT know about all four types of Apps.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Good write up.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    For me it is about the quality of the app as it pertains to daily life. I don't play games. Some good new hardware would not hurt the cause either...... on my 4th. Pre in a year.. that is not what I call good. Love WebOS so I hope things will improve with HP. Time to "up scale"
    Whether in Beta or official, an app is an app that can be installed. We should celebrate this milestone.

I bet most here would say they use Preware as their most used app but technically its not in official app catalog. So think about it, is it an app?
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjaakb View Post
    For me it is about the quality of the app as it pertains to daily life. I don't play games. Some good new hardware would not hurt the cause either...... on my 4th. Pre in a year.. that is not what I call good. Love WebOS so I hope things will improve with HP. Time to "up scale"
    hi, I agree that quality counts. However, when the NY Times or the WSJ write an article on smartphones, they mention total number of apps, not quailty of apps! Take care, Jay
    Awesome, nice write up, thank you very much!
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    Whether in Beta or official, an app is an app that can be installed. We should celebrate this milestone.

I bet most here would say they use Preware as their most used app but technically its not in official app catalog. So think about it, is it an app?
    I agree. I just want to tip my hat to the Home Brewer community. What they do is well beyond my computer level of understanding. Yet, they love to work on webOS, due to the "simplicity of design" and the open attitude that Palm has toward them... Take care, Jay
  20.    #20  
    Hi all,

As I stated above, I am sure that when the counting is done at Apple, they count everything, including different language versions of the same app...etc.

The following is from Dieter's column, dated today, 09/29/2010:

We've been keeping a bit of an eye on the webOS app count lately and it's time we called it (along with @webostoaster): webOS has surpassed the 5,000 app mark when you include all of the apps from various feeds and direct downloads now available for it. That number is over 7,000 when you include themes and patches.

Take care,

Jay
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast