Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://developer.palm.com/index.php?id=2123 Check that out. Didn't HP say they were letting Palm stay Palm?

<<Mod Edit>>

http://www.precentral.net/signs-chan...ing-hp-webos-0
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 09/27/2010 at 09:05 AM.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Your correct, but at the bottom it says this....... 2010 Palm, Inc., a subsidiary of Hewlett-Packard Company.
    [QUOTE=QuarlesLT;2678681]http://developer.palm.com/index.php?id=2123 Check that out. Didn't HP say they were letting Palm stay Palm?[/QUOTE

Don't think this is a big issue. Personally, as long as it's webOS and stays open source I don't care what they name it...
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    That sure does not feel right, "HP webOS"
    [QUOTE=spudland;2678689]
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    http://developer.palm.com/index.php?id=2123 Check that out. Didn't HP say they were letting Palm stay Palm?[/QUOTE

Don't think this is a big issue. Personally, as long as it's webOS and stays open source I don't care what they name it...
    webOS isn't open source.
    [QUOTE=barkerja;2678693]
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post

webOS isn't open source.
    It's partially open source and part proprietary
  7.    #7  
    I'm looking for the next devices to be branded HP now, with Palm in fine print on the inside of the battery cover.
    webOS is an aggregation of both open source components (e.g. the Linux kernel and some userspace applications) and proprietary closed source components (the Luna UI engine, Mojo framework and the Palm javascript applications). Some of the javascript code is readable, but not freely redistributable open source.

-- Rod
    Personally, I don't really care if they change the name as this tends to happen with acquisitions depending on the marketability of the product in question. As long as it is still the same OS, I am fine with it.

"How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    As activedodger said, it has more to do with marketing. Sucks for the loyalists though I can't say I am one since I just bought my first palm product 4 days ago! Loving it, hope they don't fudge up the beautiful design of the hardware but fix the flaws (dont we all).
    As long as they keep improving and further developing the OS, I couldn't care less what they call it. Palm is dead, and was acquired by HP. Had it not been for HP, WebOS would have been dead as well.
    Since webOS is going to be on HP hardware (tablets, printers, etc) as well as Palm smart phones, it makes sense it would be branded as "HP". What won't be going away is Palm as a hardware company.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I am from a different industry, but have been through one buyout & one merger. There can & should be only one name for branding--too many names confuses the consumer. Think of cars or better yet airlines:

They have tried airlines w/in airlines. United had TED--it caused brand confusion. TED had no 1st class, so if you had to connect & were a 1st class flyer, you might get 1st class one flight but not the other due to that plane being a TED airplane even though the planes were the same make & model. You could even have the same seat number on the same make of plane & one be 1st class & the other being coach. Very confusing & was it the experience the customer paid for?

All Airlines have partners & regional affiliates. When you book a flight through the American Airline website, will the plane be American, American Eagle (who use the smaller regional jets) or will you be on one of their 9 OneWorld Partners or one of their 12 other code sharing partners? That's right, you can book a flight through American's website yet be flying any of about 22 different airlines. There are advantages to this, but there can also be a lot of confusion on the part of the consumer thinking they booked one airline & ending up on a complete other airline w/different service standards, etc. Many times, these 20+ airlines have different frequent flyer rules, different upgrade rules, different sets of fees, etc. It can take a simple task--traveling from A to B--& make it extremely frustrating & complicated for the consumer.

In a buyout or merger, you want to keep things simple for the consumer, but take advantage of the positives of both companies. HP has marketing, distribution outlets, cash, a full array of products, etc. Palm had a great OS, innovation, and a very loyal following by a minority of the market. Hopefully, future products will take advantage of webOS & Palm's innovation while having access to HPs distribution outlets & the ecosystem they are trying to build.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    http://developer.palm.com/index.php?id=2123 Check that out. Didn't HP say they were letting Palm stay Palm?
    WebOS is going to be on HP branded devices - printers, tablets, etc. Rebranding the OS doesn't mean that Palm won't be Palm.
    I don't have a problem with this besides that I find hp branding really boring.. Their blue logo is quite ugly in comparison to palms shiny logo.
    I love thread titles that call people liars. Why is that even allowed?
    Rebranding is quite common with these sorts of acquisitions, like others have saide as long as it doesn't confuse the consumer it is meant to highlight the connection to the parent company with the consumer. Likely Palm itself my end up being rebranded something like "Palm by HP". I really woulnd't be concerned unless they start calling the OS something other than WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by ihooten View Post
    I really woulnd't be concerned unless they start calling the OS something other than WebOS.
    Even if they did, it'd still be the same under the hood. and hopefully they'd give it a catchier name.
    I'm guessing it'll be like this:

"Palm Pre running HP webOS"
    "HP Photosmart AIO running HP webOS"

The Pam brand name will remain for smartphones, tablets, PDAs, media players, etc. The HP brand will be used for everything else. Since webOS spans all devices, it'll be HP branded.

And in any case, that's one's prerogative when one spends $1.2 billion for something. HP will only keep the Palm brand name if it makes sound business sense, and that's as it should be. If it's not bringing value, then why should HP keep it? My bet is that the Palm brand does provide value given its history in PDAs and smartphones, but that's the only thing that matters.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    More like phones will be Palm! and all other devices running Webos will be branded H/P.

Its been said H/P didnt buy Palm to get into the phone business, They bought Palm to expand WebOs. It stands to reason that Palm phones will still be Palm, and Tablets, Netbooks, Refridgerators, Toasters, Coffee Pots etc., will be H/P
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast