Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    instead of posting a new thread couldn't you have put your input in one of the many other threads about the name change?? Just sayin...
    I agree that marketing webOS as an HP product will be more successful than allowing Palm (as much as I like it) to keep webOS exclusive to one company or a few branded devices. HP has the capability to take the Operating System to multiple deviceses and even cross company marketing.. I would love to see webos offeren across several devices and and several platforms (a la: Android)
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    And it doesn't mean there will be a Palm around in the future either. My first two Treos were Handspring Treos.
    Of course it doesn't mean that; however, jumping from this information to the conclusion that "Looks like HP lied" is a pretty far jump, and not a very accurate one at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    I'm just saying in regards to mobile devices, the Palm name still has more pull than HP. If HP had stuck with what they said they would do from the start, I think "Palm Pad" with "Powered by HP", "Palm is a subsidiary of HP", etc. in smaller print would be a better strategy. The Palm brand is still recognizable by MANY, the hardware was just lackluster. If the new hardware's awesome enough, the public will flock back with the Palm name. Don't see that happening as much with the HP brand.
    To be fair (and accurate), that's not all you said. You said HP lied. Where? When? What did they "lie" about?
    Ya know I knew I should have known this, but with the announcement of HP WebOS the news has hit kind of hard. I had really hoped that Palm would live on, but its dead. The brand we all loved and cared for really did die in July 2010. I'm sad really.

Its good webOS lives on, but I'm up in the air if I want to buy a HP WebOS phone. I know I should get over it, but when you have been using PALM products for 10 years, its a little hard to swallow.

Anyone else feeling the same way I do?
    <<Threads Merged/Renamed>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I don't see how HP lied. They rightfully put their name on a product they bought for $1.2 billion. Since webOS will power more products than just smartphones, it makes perfect sense that they would name the OS as something that will translate across prooducts. It's a simple solution and simple is always better.

I can fully understand why they don't want a printer named HP Deskjet 1000 powered by Palm webOS. They want both the business and consumer buyers to associate webOS with HP. They bought Palm for the OS, not for the name.
    my bet is that the phones will still carry the palm brand.

and organizationally, palm is shown as a division of hp.

has anyone seen a new logo on the palm HQ building? That's still a Palm building.
    I honestly think Palm would be remembered quite vividly if they ever used the "Pilot" name again. Who in the world doesn't know what a "Palm Pilot" is (even if they just called any PDA that at one point)?
    Quote Originally Posted by nbmatt View Post
    I honestly think Palm would be remembered quite vividly if they ever used the "Pilot" name again. Who in the world doesn't know what a "Palm Pilot" is (even if they just called any PDA that at one point)?
    As a member of Generation Y, I do not know what a Palm Pilot is but the name just reeks of 'old tech' I would defiantly be more against this idea than the Palm to HP change.

Though I am a fan of the Palm name I know those who are older than me in the workforce have a sort of dieing/rigid company attitude toward it. Though HP really needs some help with the younger demographic, the re-branding effort from "HP the cold organization" to "HP the crazy people who make bad computers" didn't help very much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    instead of posting a new thread couldn't you have put your input in one of the many other threads about the name change?? Just sayin...
    although I generally agree with this, I was just so happy to see a positive thread title and a positive outlook, tha I'm glad he didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by nbmatt View Post
    fyi, the Pilot pen company brought action against palm over that name. I keep hoping hp will either pay to license the name or sue the pen company back to where they belong.

I really like the pilot name for a product.
    <<Threads Merged/Renamed>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    fyi, the Pilot pen company brought action against palm over that name. I keep hoping hp will either pay to license the name or sue the pen company back to where they belong.

I really like the pilot name for a product.
    Oh, really? I suppose that makes sense considering it required stylus input...
    Seriously if they released a new Palm Pilot smartphone, people would say it's such a joke that Palm would still sell PDAs with PalmOS when there are iPhones and just walk past without looking.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123