Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    They did register palmpad right? That would indicate they want to brand the consumer devices with the palm brand.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    They did register palmpad right? That would indicate they want to brand the consumer devices with the palm brand.
    Gasp! Logic. This thread is lacking it.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  3.    #23  
    It will still most likely be called the HP PalmPad, hence PalmPad being one word.
    Marketing is becoming all about the OS. Android, WP7, iOS, etc. If webOS is on two brands, HP and Palm, that gives it more clout. Even Apple is marketing iOS4 heavily. Is it a way to give webOS more credibility? Two brands but no licensing outside the company!
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    It will still most likely be called the HP PalmPad, hence PalmPad being one word.
    So what you are saying is even though it is built and owned by HP it isn't allowed to be named "HP"?
    I can't be the only one to find this ridiculous
    Hi all,

I think the original poster is going overboard with hyperbole, after all HP also stated, that they are adding webOS to many of HP's products...also in case you hadn't noticed....the Palm name doesn't mean what it used to.

Just look at the rate that apps are rolling in now as opposed to before the buyout. Palm is having developer days all over the country, something they weren't able to do without HP's $. In fact, Palm was so short of cash they had to put themselves up for sale.

So big deal HP is putting their logo along with webOS. At this point without a buyer, Palm would have ceased to exist. Then there wouldn't be a webOS

HP is giving Palm money for many things that Palm couldn't afford to do. For example, Palm didn't have enough manpower to actually send tech staff to programmers to help port apps....now that is no longer an issue.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I don't know how many of you remember, but PalmOS was bought by Access a couple of years ago. On my Palm Tx it also said: Palm powered by Access.

I think a Palm device with HP WebOS is a great way to connect the Palm name with HP. Probably gives a lot of consumers more confidence in the product. HP can then also easily use it on all their own brand devices because I think HP powered by Palm would be confusing to consumers.
    I don't know what the fuss is about. If webOS 2.0 brings me what I want, they could as well call it Apple Android Vista and I'd still buy it and give nary a sh¡te.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I don't know what the fuss is about. If webOS 2.0 brings me what I want, they could as well call it Apple Android Vista and I'd still buy it and give nary a sh¡te.
    have to admit that made me lol
    I might get flamed for this, but I almost hope the Palm name gets dropped. I want Palm to stay intact in the background, but I think the HP name may be the better choice on device. Engadget and CNET have reduced Palm to almost a joke. Anything which falls short on marketing, hardware or apps gets compared to the Pre. I love Palm, but wow has the iOS/Android loving media destroyed Palm's name.
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    Who cares about the name. Palm RIP is fine by me, as long as it's new WebOS smartphone, they can call it anything they want.
    The Saint
    can someone please tell me why it's ok for the OP to call HP liars and not be challenged for that?

they didn't lie. At some point they may make a business decision to do something else.

lying is saying your car is safe when you know it isn't.

does the OP really think HP made a specific promise to him that was a lie, and now that he found them out Palm won't survive?

someone please change this title. There is another thread around here with the same discussion of Palm branding hardware and HP branding the OS.

sounds reasonable. At what level is that a lie? Mcdonalds used to only sell burgers. Eventually they added chicken. Were they lying all that time with a 50-year plan to sneak chicken into the menu when we weren't looking?

/rant
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 09/26/2010 at 02:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    WebOS is going to be on HP branded devices - printers, tablets, etc. Rebranding the OS doesn't mean that Palm won't be Palm.
    And it doesn't mean there will be a Palm around in the future either. My first two Treos were Handspring Treos.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    can someone please tell me why it's ok for the OP to call HP liars and not be challenged for that?

they didn't lie. At some point they may make a business decision to do something else.

lying is saying your car is safe when you know it isn't.

does the OP really think HP made a specific promise to him that was a lie, and now that he found them out Palm won't survive?

someone please change this title. There is another thread around here with the same discussion of Palm branding hardware and HP branding the OS.

sounds reasonable. At what level is that a lie? Mcdonalds used to only sell burgers. Eventually they added chicken. Were they lying all that time with a 50-year plan to sneak chicken into the menu when we weren't looking?

/rant
    Is it really that serious? Did I PERSONALLY attack anyone?
    in my opinion, HP is people, and it's also a provacative title. But that's just my view.

noobs read that and head off to get an android, IMHO.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    So what you are saying is even though it is built and owned by HP it isn't allowed to be named "HP"?
    I can't be the only one to find this ridiculous
    I'm just saying in regards to mobile devices, the Palm name still has more pull than HP. If HP had stuck with what they said they would do from the start, I think "Palm Pad" with "Powered by HP", "Palm is a subsidiary of HP", etc. in smaller print would be a better strategy. The Palm brand is still recognizable by MANY, the hardware was just lackluster. If the new hardware's awesome enough, the public will flock back with the Palm name. Don't see that happening as much with the HP brand.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    in my opinion, HP is people, and it's also a provacative title. But that's just my view.

noobs read that and head off to get an android, IMHO.
    I don't see it that way. All companies publicly state something then switch it up later. You call it changing a business strategy, I call it lying. All companies are guilty of it (HP, Palm, Apple, RIM, I'm REALLY giving you the stink eye, ADOBE). It's just how they work. However, I was optimistic that HP would change that trend, but I was wrong. Just stay quiet if you're going to mislead the public with all the talking and teasing (again, ADOBEEEE!).
    so you won't take it personally when your wife says you lied because you are late for dinner, or I post a new thread called 'QuarlesLT lied about HP's intentions and tried to trick noobs by making provocative thread titles'

I bet the mods would delete that...
  19.    #39  
    That doesn't compare. I didn't point out any one person like you're doing, I pointed out a general group, a company, for their BUSINESS strategy, not what they're doing PERSONALLY, outside of work. There's a difference. Please go enjoy a football game or something, I won't post such a "provocative" thread title next time, just so you can relax, okay?
    Last edited by QuarlesLT; 09/26/2010 at 04:51 PM.
    Because of the depth of HP's reach, I believe buyers are more likely to consider trying it b/c they are in the same universe as Apple and Google.

Apple and Google were/are BIG names who decided to get into the smartphone market with simple OS's, while HP will enter with arguably the best OS in the WORLD!

So make it about HP with a far greater reach and universe than Palm, which is mainly known within the geek community, rather than the masses.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast