Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1.    #1  
    Today's Palm Developer Newsletter links to an interesting page:

    Quick Port Stories - Palm Developer Center
    More Platforms, More Exposure With HP® webOS™
    I believe this is the first mention of WebOS being rebranded as an HP product.

    A Google search only turned up "HP WebOS" in reference to rumors about specific products such as "an HP WebOS tablet."

    HP has stated their intent to use WebOS across a wide variety of devices. Taking in WebOS as their own shows they think it's too important to be under a sub-brand. An HP rebranding could mean:
    A) HP will offer some WebOS products under the HP name (tablets?) and others under the Palm name (phones?).
    B) HP will use its more widely recognized brand to improve the clout of WebOS among users and developers.
    C) HP will eventually abandon the Palm name entirely.
  2. #2  
    For me, webOS is what draws people is, not the fact it's branded Palm or H/P. Even this website should be called webOS Central. Does it really matter if it's branded H/P or Palm?
  3. #3  
    The Palm name has a lot of loyalty and nostalgia for us uses who have been with that company for years and all of the ups and downs. Even though I know it's still the same guys working behind the scenes, I'd hate to see the Palm name deleted. I'd rather see something like the old Access days and have it say "HP webOS - powered by Palm" or some reference. But I know it's only a name
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlangley21 View Post
    For me, webOS is what draws people is, not the fact it's branded Palm or H/P. Even this website should be called webOS Central. Does it really matter if it's branded H/P or Palm?
    Did webOS Roundup steal the thunder slightly for that one?
    My device history:

    - Jim J.

    (On Sprint for many years)
  5. #5  
    WebOS is webOS regardless of what company name is in front of it. If webOS were ported to a Motorola phone would we call it Palm webOS or Motorola webOS or just webOS?
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    WebOS is webOS regardless of what company name is in front of it. If webOS were ported to a Motorola phone would we call it Palm webOS or Motorola webOS or just webOS?
    Now you would call it HP WebOS.

    Agreed. Changing the name doesn't change the operating system. It's still WebOS and it's still great.

    What changes is consumer and developer *perception* of the OS.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Did webOS Roundup steal the thunder slightly for that one?
    They got it closer to being right and it's something that will perpetuate through many phone iterations regardless of the name of the phone.

    Look - I understand why they chose PreCentral (harkens back to TreoCentral), but I didn't buy the phone cuz it was from Palm. I bought the phone because I felt the OS was superior to any other that was available at the time from Sprint.

    Especially now that Palm has been purchased by H/P with the intentions of building an entire ecosystem of phones, printers, tablets, toasters, etc, they should focus on the thing that connects all of those gadgets, and it's webOS. I have no loyalty to Palm or H/P, but I will continue to be loyal to webOS given I've spent money on the phone and apps, and I've become a part of this community (which is the BEST!).

    I don't really care if it is powered by, owned by, produced by, whatever...

    Just my $.02...
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    The Palm name has a lot of loyalty and nostalgia for us uses who have been with that company for years and all of the ups and downs. Even though I know it's still the same guys working behind the scenes, I'd hate to see the Palm name deleted. I'd rather see something like the old Access days and have it say "HP webOS - powered by Palm" or some reference. But I know it's only a name
    HP would be smart to keep Palm as a sub-brand on mobile devices, at least until the loyal Palm fanbase transfers their affection to HP. One of Palm's greatest strengths is the rabid fans that have fallen silent or dabbled in Android after Palm failed to release new hardware this summer.
  9. #9  
    You can't sell a HP printer branded with Palm WebOS.

    Their move makes sense.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by casonbang View Post
    HP would be smart to keep Palm as a sub-brand on mobile devices, at least until the loyal Palm fanbase transfers their affection to HP.
    Haven't they already? This forum has been full of people who white knight HP as if they were some grassroots startup.
  11. #11  
    I think they should make an entire new name... Android sounds cool and iOS has the 'i' which makes it perfect to many but WebOS doesn't sound cool. It may not be important to current users but a catchy name couild help marketing a lot.
  12. #12  
    If HP is holding wallet, let them call it whatever they want. It makes perfect sense to "rebrand" the OS since they will be putting it into other devices (printers, teblets, toasters, ect). It's still same under the hood.
    ~Jhoove09
    Sprint|Palm Pre
    AT&T|Palm Pre 2
    Quit trolling and go buy an Android.
    My Twitter Account
    My Themes

    Feel free to AIM or SKYPE me.
  13. rts
    rts is offline
    rts's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlangley21 View Post
    They got it closer to being right and it's something that will perpetuate through many phone iterations regardless of the name of the phone.

    Look - I understand why they chose PreCentral (harkens back to TreoCentral), but I didn't buy the phone cuz it was from Palm. I bought the phone because I felt the OS was superior to any other that was available at the time from Sprint.

    Especially now that Palm has been purchased by H/P with the intentions of building an entire ecosystem of phones, printers, tablets, toasters, etc, they should focus on the thing that connects all of those gadgets, and it's webOS. I have no loyalty to Palm or H/P, but I will continue to be loyal to webOS given I've spent money on the phone and apps, and I've become a part of this community (which is the BEST!).

    I don't really care if it is powered by, owned by, produced by, whatever...

    Just my $.02...
    I'm with rlangley21. From the moment that WebOS was announced as a product back in Jan, 09 I've had a sparkle in my eye. So much so that it's made me, a person who's never had any formal development training, want to join the "WebOS" development club/community. So hear I am today working on my first, and hopefully soon to be published app, struggling my "****" off and loving every minute of it. So I to couldn't care less if it's branded as Palm's or HP's.
  14. #14  
    This may just be the beginning of the dilution of the Palm brand.

    What matters the most is weither or not innovation will still come from what was formerly known as Palm, Inc. Only time will tell.

    I'm still hoping for a 4.3" smartphone with active digitizer, with a fully international webOS. Applications will come in due time I guess.

    I'm honestly tired of those physical keyboards that break my poor thumbs. And the iPhone's screen is way too small by today's standards.

    Still dreaming...

    Oh, an HP printer with a Palm webOS would sound rather silly. But the branding borrowing can go both ways. I'd take a Palm Pre Envy any day!
  15. #15  
    I'll take a slightly different tack. While I am a huge Palm fan and I agree that those of us loyalists will be sad to see that brand fade, even if just a little, I think it is a bit of a liability to HP. How many times have you heard "Gosh, I remember those Palm Pilots! Weren't they quaint?!" Or, "Didn't Palm go bankrupt? I can't believe they're still around!"

    Us fans know the deal and we know that HP knows the deal, but the iPhone/Blackberry/Android-toting public thinks that Palm is dead, and the sooner we move on with "Yes, but long live webOS!" the better we'll all be for it.
    Palm history: II, IIIc, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, FrankenPre+, (legit) Pre+ & TouchPad.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by bends View Post
    You can't sell a HP printer branded with Palm WebOS.

    Their move makes sense.
    This.

    If you didn't see this coming I don't know what to say. If you think this is some sort of sign that Palm as a brand is going away all together then you need to get your head checked. If this was their goal they would have never allowed Palm to be their own company entity in the HP family.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  17. #17  
    It's just a name.

    There are few people that are loyal to Palm. Not enough clearly. What ever they make has to do more then tread on a name.

    in the end people don't reallycare about the OS. it's a myth. Most people dont' know android from linux. maybe phone geeks care about the OS but not most people. And it's most people that matter cause there are a hell of a lot more of them. The name isn't that important. It just has to look nice enough to impress people and webos does that regardless of the name.
  18. Cringer's Avatar
    Posts
    475 Posts
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    #18  
    Call it j3rk0ff webOS and put out a phone and tablet with it on there, I will still want it because it's still webOS.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    This.

    If you didn't see this coming I don't know what to say. If you think this is some sort of sign that Palm as a brand is going away all together then you need to get your head checked. If this was their goal they would have never allowed Palm to be their own company entity in the HP family.
    History tells us that HP sells HP products. You can see HP Compaq computers, VooDoo products are sold as HP Envy, and so on.

    With luck, we will see HP Palm Products, but you can bet that the product name is going to start with "HP", sooner or later.

    --Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
    Newness Developments apps:

  20. #20  
    I hope the name really stays the same. However, if they decided on a name change > I guess there is really nothing we could do about it. =-@
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions