Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Hi

I was wondering if it would be possible to have WebOS installed in an iphone (4) just in case that whatever comes out (if something does soon enough) from HPalm is not too appealing regarding the looks and hardware-wise... Or in some of those new Android phones.

Sorry if this is a stupid question
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Possible? Yes.

Although, it's approaching certainty that it won't happen.
    With no gesture area it would be pointless to think about....
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Plus the fact that it would be illegal!
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Maybe a little gesture area could be created at the bottom of the screen
    Theoretically yes...the latest apple CPU's Cortex-A8 ARM processors which is the same architecture as what the Pre uses. And the graphics chips are both PowerVR based so...not terribly different.

I would imagine it would take some hardcore kernel tweaking at the very least. They're similar but probably not the same. Drivers are going to be your biggest problem. The iPhone's radio (want to make phone calls yes?), wifi chipset, all of the accelerometer features, proximity sensors, camera...all that stuff is probably fairly undocumented on the level it would need to be in order to get them working well enough.

And, as mentioned, no gesture area which is such a huge part of WebOS

So...yeah, it's possible, but I think in more of a "huh, wouldn't it be cool if..." project sense than a "I'm gonna run WebOS on my daily use iPhone!" way.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    So it would be so complicated and it would require so much work that no one would even consider doing it... I really like iphone’s 4 form factor, I hope HPalm will give us something as good looking, but I doubt it, let’s just hope it brings at least same specifications or better
    A gesture area on an iPod/iPhone is very easy to achieve with Jailbreaking community. My 1st gen iPod touch's home button is broken so I have a gesture area for the top of the screen to work as it, it works very nicely. It's hidden at all times until I place my finger there and slide it a certain way, it works with full slides, half slides, up down, you can even put it on any corner of the screen.

I would love to see it happen, but it never will.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    With no gesture area it would be pointless to think about....
    Another forum member mentioned to me once that you can just have a software gesture area at the bottom of the touchscreen because the gesture area is basically a touchsreen without the display. I think if it were to be done that would be a very pleasant possibility.

Also scaling the resolutions might be difficult I'd assume?
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by squeezy View Post
    A gesture area on an iPod/iPhone is very easy to achieve with Jailbreaking community. My 1st gen iPod touch's home button is broken so I have a gesture area for the top of the screen to work as it, it works very nicely. It's hidden at all times until I place my finger there and slide it a certain way, it works with full slides, half slides, up down, you can even put it on any corner of the screen.

I would love to see it happen, but it never will.
    Agreed. However the point of the gesture area is that it is not part of the screen - there are no pixels taken up. It would work as you pointed out but to have a blacked out area similar to the Pre/Pixi you would be losing real estate on the screen on an iPhone...i.e. the 480x320 or 960x640 wallpaper would be cut off, never mind that the issues that would arise dues to the HTML/Web nature of WebOS apps (resizing of images automatically etc..).

I love the look of the iPhone but like you said I don't see it happening and the experience wouldn't be the same. I say Hp should just give us a 3.5 - 3.7 inch screen and immaculate hardware design and leave it at that
    All but impossible. The hardware drivers are mostly closed source.
    If this is so impossible then how did they manage to get Android on the iphone?

How to Install Android on Your iPhone - PCWorld
    Quote Originally Posted by pantiko View Post
    Hi

I was wondering if it would be possible to have WebOS installed in an iphone (4) just in case that whatever comes out (if something does soon enough) from HPalm is not too appealing regarding the looks and hardware-wise... Or in some of those new Android phones.

Sorry if this is a stupid question
    Anything is possible ~ if you can find a way to make the impossible > possible.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Letīs just expect something nice from HP and different options to choose from, but as I said before, Iīve never seen any good looking products from HP

I prefer Mac to PC, I had a MacBook Air at home and wanted something else with a bit more power, but decided I wanted Windows to have both things (my corporate web page only works ok on Windows and was tired of rebooting the Air every time I had to check on it)... I read wonders of the HP Envy, also regarding design, so I went to the store with the intention of buying one... Left the store with a MacBook Pro... Night and day
    Someone actually bought a Macbook Air?
    Thanks to iDroid Project, even WebOS might be able to be booted on an iPhone.

"The iDroid Project's goal is to fully port the Linux kernel and the Google Android OS to Apple's iDevices. With the utilisation of our 'OpeniBoot' bootloader, we have gained the ability to boot the Linux Kernel therefore enabling us to boot Google Android & any other Linux based operating system easily."
    Reference:
    Main Page - iDroidWiki

Want to make Steve Jobs cringe. Take an iPhone load it up with Android, take another iPhone load it up with WebOS, sit them side by side and snap a picture or two for emailing to him! Make sure to use an anonymous email account. Wouldn't want the Apple police knocking at your door.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Someone actually bought a Macbook Air?
    Ca you think of a better laptop for someone who works as a pilot and prefers Mac to Windows?

I was actually quite impressed with the Air, itís much more powerful than it looks and quite portable, you have a reasonable screen size and light weight

Donít know how well it sold, but it sure does the job for me when Iím travelling

I wouldnít change it for any netbook or tablet
    It really seems like the biggest hurdle in doing this actually ends up being the gesture area which as posted by squeezy seems to be possible