1.    #1  
    WebOS is the best current generation smartphone OS out there but here are a few implementations Palm should consider.

1. The app store reviews are racist. I have seen the N word at least ten times.
    Palm you can easily combat this by blocking the use of certain words or add a report button.

2. While browsing the internet in bed, random tilting can be incredibly annoying. Why not use the volume mute switch as a tilt lock, it can't even do its job by muting the volume in third party apps.
    By the way I realize it stays in portrait with the slider open but my primary WebOS device is the Pixi "which does not have a slider".

3. Two copies of the same app for different devices. I own both the Pixi and the Pre, do developers really expect my to purchase multiple copies of the same app? What about when a new phone with a different aspect ratio comes out? Should I own three copies of the same damn app on an operating system that perfectly "scales" to any form factor?

4. For god's sake listen too your communities suggestions. PreCentral is all you've got, if you anger your hardcore fans than it's over, You alienated the biggest crowd that buys everything you sell and puts up with your excuses the most. Why should we have to rely on some Canadian with an awesome last name to make our phones more useful?

5. Updates, Updates, Updates! When you release a new update for your phone, release it to the general public. Don't let Verizon Spend 3 months crippling the phone. It gives Palm a bad rap because some other company wrecked its gps.
    Also I want to give you a newsflash. Verizon does not care about maintaining releases, they care about the Droid because it makes 89 bajillion times more money in comparison to WebOS devices. Also what motivation is Verizon going to have to release updates when they want people to buy even newer phones and stay into longer contracts with them?

this is all the ranting I have so far about my favorite mobile OS but please feel free to add more pet peeves and hopefully we can make a meta list and get it in the hands of as many higher ups at palm as possible.

Thanks,

- Sean
    Last edited by cobra4455; 09/22/2010 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Additional text removal
    1. not an OS issue
    2. could be an OS issue, sound like hardware button is what you want.
    3. I thought apps were tied to your palm profile but I might be wrong.
    4. not an OS issue
    5. not an OS issue, that's a carrier issue.
    .,;-#$^***^$#-;,.

3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post
    1. not an OS issue
    2. could be an OS issue, sound like hardware button is what you want.
    3. I thought apps were tied to your palm profile but I might be wrong.
    4. not an OS issue
    5. not an OS issue, that's a carrier issue.
    Alright than should I change it to what I hate about various palm sort of webOS related issues?

Throw me a bone here.
    The app store reviews are racist
    Ha...hardly and to paint the entirety of the reviews as such seems odd.

While browsing the internet in bed, random tilting can be incredibly annoying.
    I generally don't have many issues with that but I do own a Pre...

Two copies of the same app for different devices
    SDK apps generally scale fine. It's the PDK stuff that doesn't (sometimes) and there isn't really anyway around it. The problem is part and parcel given the screen resolutions involved. I would also suspect that 99% of webOS users today only own 1 device. I understand your frustration but also understand the technical side so I'm neutral on this one.

Don't let Verizon Spend 3 months crippling the phone
    Palm basically had no control over that....it was let Big Red do what they want or don't release the phone on Big Red. Carriers need to do there thing with/to firmware to cover there own butts and also, in VZW case, make it compatible with their revenue stream ideas (as screwed up as that may seem to the rest of us).

For god's sake listen too your communities suggestions
    They are....multitude of reasons as to why you don't see all these ideas make it to your phone...from budgetary (read recent cash flow issues) to marketing to development and testing time-lines to a million other things.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  5.    #5  
    Ha...hardly and to paint the entirety of the reviews as such seems odd.
    To be fair I did exaggerate the situation, but to me seeing discriminatory slurs just once is one to many for me.

SDK apps generally scale fine. It's the PDK stuff that doesn't (sometimes) and there isn't really anyway around it. The problem is part and parcel given the screen resolutions involved. I would also suspect that 99% of webOS users today only own 1 device. I understand your frustration but also understand the technical side so I'm neutral on this one.
    Very true, but as an example developer Polarbit seems to have no problem implementing compatibility with both devices. I also understand size and various other reasons for other developers to go a separate route, but from a consumer stand point differences are negligible and purchase agreements could be modified to allow for users access to full rights for various devices.

Palm basically had no control over that....it was let Big Red do what they want or don't release the phone on Big Red. Carriers need to do there thing with/to firmware to cover there own butts and also, in VZW case, make it compatible with their revenue stream ideas (as screwed up as that may seem to the rest of us).
    I guess so... Only if we lived in a world where Palm is in a desirable position similar to that of Apple.

They are....multitude of reasons as to why you don't see all these ideas make it to your phone...from budgetary (read recent cash flow issues) to marketing to development and testing time-lines to a million other things.
    While budgetary concerns have been a very serious concern in Palms recent past, it seems like it would be a win/win scenario if Palm had a more open relation with consumers when it comes to requested features in their phones.

Thank you for rather well thought out opinions on my rants,

- Sean
    1. I haven't seen the N word, but you're right, it would be easy to block, and I'm sure that if you raised the problem with Palm, and they had the resources, they'd be on it.

2. One of the things I LOVE about the WebOS community is that someone could write a patch for that, and it would be easy to install. You might want to try asking around, see if you can find a dev that can help out.

3. Agreed!!!!! You nailed a big issue. Something has to be done before the 12 months of hardware releases that Rahul Sood keeps talking about.

4. They actually are listening, and one of the best ways to get in touch with them is their feedback page.

5. Dude, the mother of all WebOS updates is on it's way. WebOS 2.0 is out to devs so they can port their apps over. It's coming. And perhaps some of the issues you and others have will be dealt with.

I have my own list of frustrations but I'm waiting to see what 2.0 brings. I am intrigues by what they've told us about. I am VERY curious about what they haven't told us about.
    If the OP looks here, he will find others willing to throw him a bone:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...omplaints.html
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    If the OP looks here, he will find others willing to throw him a bone:
    When it says Pre complaints in the other post does that also include Pixi related complaints? Because rants 2 and 3 don't really have much to do with the Pre.

- Sean
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra4455 View Post
    When it says Pre complaints in the other post does that also include Pixi related complaints? Because rants 2 and 3 don't really have much to do with the Pre.

- Sean
    Do I really need to keep finding these for you?

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pi...nt-thread.html
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    4. They actually are listening, and one of the best ways to get in touch with them is their feedback page.
    A great big Danke Shoen to you for supplying me with that link! I have placed this on my bookmarks toolbar for Firefox.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Do I really need to keep finding these for you?
    Thank you Cantaffordit,

I'm just going to go out on a limb and assume their are also Verizon, Marketplace, and Palm/consumer relations complaint threads respectively.
    The only thing I hate is i had a post in this thread (and, it actually got "Thanked") and yet, it was deleted. I am a bit confused, since it was not an attack or against any rules.

hahahaha
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Just a news flash here - things that may have been 'carrier issues' before - DEFINITELY affect the bottom line for Palm and other device manufacturers. Don't kid yourself.

This is especially true when carriers treat devices with different operating systems differently with regards to features (Verizon GPS). If someone on Verizon has trouble with their GPS (and isn't aware of this forum) - if it's bad enough to complain about to Verizon, it's likely they could exchange the phone for something different, and not have GPS problems anymore. Who do you think they're going to blame? Verizon? Nope, Palm "That crappy Palm's GPS was all jacked up, good thing I switched to a Droid"
    for #1, there is freedom of speech. and also, the N word is only racist depending on where you were raised, what time period, etc. Heck, Aunt Ester said the N word on an episode Sanford and Son just the other day. I wasnt raised it was a bad word, just like "white trash" and "Cracker" arent either.

I do agree with your #2 though
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    for #1, there is freedom of speech. and also, the N word is only racist depending on where you were raised, what time period, etc. Heck, Aunt Ester said the N word on an episode Sanford and Son just the other day. I wasnt raised it was a bad word, just like "white trash" and "Cracker" arent either.

I do agree with your #2 though
    What are you talking about?
    1. The Palm Marketplace is run by a private company, freedom of speech does not apply.
    2. Those episodes of Sanford and Son have since been censored.
    3. The N Word is racist, it is just like people who still show a confederate flag. People with confederate flags are essentially saying black should still be slaves. In fact call some black people the N Word and tell me what happens.
    3. Two copies of the same app for different devices. I own both the Pixi and the Pre, do developers really expect my to purchase multiple copies of the same app? What about when a new phone with a different aspect ratio comes out? Should I own three copies of the same damn app on an operating system that perfectly "scales" to any form factor?
    Do you understand how software licensing works? It's per device, not per user. If you buy a piece of software for your computer you are only allowed to install it on one system, not multiple. So paying a second time for a second device is normal.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    3. The N Word is racist, it is just like people who still show a confederate flag. People with confederate flags are essentially saying black should still be slaves. In fact call some black people the N Word and tell me what happens.
    Good thing you are lumping all people who show a confederate flag into one group. Because we all know that is all it represents.

Maybe they have pride in their southern heritage?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    What are you talking about?
    1. The Palm Marketplace is run by a private company, freedom of speech does not apply.
    2. Those episodes of Sanford and Son have since been censored.
    allowing people to speak freely is freedom of speech, whether or not it is a private company

I JUST watched the episode....it was on the old tv show channel, uncensored and she blatantly said the N word.

for #3, I could actually write a paper to respond to that ignorant statement, but I'll keep it short with "apparently you failed history class"
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Nothing good is going to come out of the direction this thread is going. I think we can all agree that there is no reason that the N word needs to be in a review of an app, regardless of the historic implications of that or the confederate flag.
    This thread has run its course.