Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi All,
    I'm interested enough in getting a webOS phone I thought I'd sign up for this community to get some informed opinions about webOS goodness. What is it about webOS that gets people hooked?

Cheers,
    Suli
    Two words: Card. System.

Best multitasking system known to man. Just swipe, and you go into card view. Then you go to another app in your launcher, or click on another app in card view, or do nothing.
    I own a Verizon Palm Pre 2 running WebOS 2.0.1

Here to help and learn
    Gestures, multi-tasking, notifications, OS is wide open to modifying, and the homebrew/Precentral community!
    Last edited by NachoB; 09/20/2010 at 06:17 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Gestures, multi-tasking, OS is wide open to modifying, and the homebrew/Precentral community!
    +1

If I had to pick ONE thing, it's gestures. I love it so much better than having to hit a back key or select something just to delete it. With gestures, you just swipe it off the screen to delete it. I love that!
    I'd say it's the community here, the deducation of webOS Internals and developers to give us a single reliable and safe home to get get high quality patches, apps, and most importantly help when you need it...and the off topic threads can be hilarious.
    Hmmm?.....It's a Palm Pre, here, let me show you something cool...;-)
    It doesn't run on the iPhone and Patches!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    395 Global Posts
    I like the gestures more than I like the cards.
    I'd say synergy is the best feature. I just love the way it integrates all of my data sources. The multi-tasking/card view is definitely great too, as is the notification system. I love universal search, too, although it has some limitations. But generally speaking, I prefer to "just type" and go. If search 2.0 is all that is advertised (ie a command line interface + integration with apps) then it will likely become my favorite feature. Essentially, webOS is made to manage your life on the cloud. I don't think any other phone can do this in such an easy and intuitive fashion.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks all for responding. The enthusiasm is a good sign. I wish HP would announce any new devices they might have for the holiday season. I'm not sure I'll be a heavy app user but some excitement with webOS 2 and some new devices might reinvigorate app development. Anyone find themselves wanting more apps?
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Gestures, multi-tasking, OS is wide open to modifying, and the homebrew/Precentral community!
    Cosign.
    Prē
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    1A) The user interface. Simple, elegant and powerful.
    1B) The Palm user community - the work that homebrewers do to add/enhance/tweak functionality is simply mind-blowing.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    It's dumb, but the Facebook contact integration is a life-saver. Eg.

"Do you have ***** phone #?"
    "I don't know! Let me type their name in Universal search and find out!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulimir View Post
    Hi All,
    I'm interested enough in getting a webOS phone I thought I'd sign up for this community to get some informed opinions about webOS goodness. What is it about webOS that gets people hooked?

Cheers,
    Suli
    The fact that it's totally awesome.
    the one thing that totally makes all other phones obsolete is GESTURES... Use a pre or pixie and then try using another phone, it is almost impossable
    Both I and a co-worker have the Sprint Pre and we both agree.

Multi-Tasking and this OS runs circles around everything on the market.
    I have had a iPhone and my wife has a EVO. It makes all tasks simple and incredibly intuitive in comparison to iPhone and Android. Cant compare to BlackBerry as I have never used one.

A few days ago, I was carpooling to a remote work site and let a different co-worker use my Pre to respond to a couple texts my wife sent and choose music and use the GPS. Half way thru the drive he wanted one and my reply was, "What cell service do you use?" He had Verizon. I said, this phone is great software wise, but I have had 4 replacements in just 1yr and 3 months of owning it. I would definitely get one on Verizon since it has double the storage capacity and cost is $0 if you have a renewal. Otherwise, I wouldnt recommend it on Sprint ($150 for 8Gb) although I just looked at the HP website and it is free for all cell service providers. HP® Wireless Central

Buy one for sure, but dont go without insurance. This phone isnt too resilient.
    I cant believe I am going to be the first one to say this; Notifications, notifications notifications.
    Yes, the notification system is great.Personally, I love the ability to be able to customize the phone so much. Everyone's Pre is truly unique.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    I've been a Pre owner for about 2 months and I must say the best thing about it is THIS SITE and all the wonderful patches and apps you developers have come up with! You all rock!

(I'm still building up the courage to start overclocking.)
    Besides the os the community, Homebrew, and webos internals. You guy are the SHIZNIT!
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    do it!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast