1.    #1  
    I've never used any other Linux/UNIX where every patch to the OS wipes out your user information (scheduled jobs, aliases, etc.). Happened again this morning. What's up with that? What possible advantage can that behavior provide?
    Are you speaking about actual OS updates or the OS patches this fine community puts out?
    I don't know of either that just wipe the data. Maybe I am not understanding what your talking about then. Sounds like you've got some other issue(s) going on.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    webOS patches shouldn't be wiping your data off the phone. What patches are you installing that do this??
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  4.    #4  
    I'm talking about the "You have an update of WebOS which needs to be installed. It will take 15 minutes and you can't make or receive any calls (including 911) during this time" notification. It was 1.4.5 this morning. Lots of stuff always gets broken (including discarding of user settings, such as cron schedules and shell aliases). This time was no different. What's the point? What advantage can be achieved by wiping out my user information?
    "cron schedules" and "shell aliases"

???

<<Thread Renamed and Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    The title of your thread is misleading. A more accurate one would have been "I do not understand the WebOS OTA process".
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Did you create these ron schedules and shell aliases yourself?? If so, the update will wipe it out.

What exactly are you doing??
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeekster View Post
    The title of your thread is misleading. A more accurate one would have been "I do not understand the WebOS OTA process".
    Agree!
    I see it's fixed.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post
    Did you create these [c]ron schedules and shell aliases yourself??
    Of course. Who would do it for me?

If so, the update will wipe it out.
    Well, that's what I'm reporting. What I don't understand is why it would do that.

What exactly are you doing??
    One of the cron jobs transfers a compressed copy of the contacts database to my backup server. The shell aliases do what shell aliases always do: make it possible to submit longer commands by typing fewer characters.
    I would guess it is the nature of the changes you have made. I don't think that it is practical to update an OS and allow for the idiosyncratic changes each user has made to the underlying system. I don't know if they do a complete overwrite, but the files you have changed might need to updated with the system. just a guess.