1.    #1  
    So on iOS when you save a mobile optimized website to the home screen, it will save a little favicon instead of just a tiny screenshot of the website. I thought webOS would do this, but it seems not to. Is there any patch or something that can get it to recognize and use the iOS favicons?
    I've never seen it work on WebOS - And it's one of those little features that I'd love to see added to the OS.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    You can save a website bookmark to the launcher, but yeah, it's a preview, not the favicon. Arguably that's better.

So, why does Palm have to do everything exactly like Apple? I mean your desired functionality is there, what you're saying is that Palm's implementation of the feature isn't Apple enough. Of course, if Palm DID make it a favicon, people would say "I'm not going to buy one of Palm's failphones, they only copy Apple".
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    You can save a website bookmark to the launcher, but yeah, it's a preview, not the favicon. Arguably that's better.

So, why does Palm have to do everything exactly like Apple? I mean your desired functionality is there, what you're saying is that Palm's implementation of the feature isn't Apple enough. Of course, if Palm DID make it a favicon, people would say "I'm not going to buy one of Palm's failphones, they only copy Apple".
    Huh? You just boggled my mind. It's nothing new and nothing short of a favicon that's been used in browsers for years. A lot of mobile platforms do it.
    i'm not sure what a favicon is but you can select what you want the icon that's saved to look like(sort of) when adding the bookmark to launcher if you tap the image of what the icon is going to be you can move around the page, zoom in and out and decide what from the webpage is used as the icon, I'm sure itsnot the same it's an option
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loopytee View Post
    i'm not sure what a favicon is
    The favicon is the little image that is usually besides the URL in the URL bar in so-called full-featured browsers. By convention browsers pull this image from websites from "/favicon.ico", and substitute a generic image if one is not found at that location.

The mechanism is well understood in web development circles so it wouldn't be 'the Apple way' --IMHO-- to use the 'the website's icon' as the icon for a bookmark, but rather the expected/normal behavior. I for one I'm with the OP on this one.
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Huh? You just boggled my mind. It's nothing new and nothing short of a favicon that's been used in browsers for years. A lot of mobile platforms do it.
    Huh. You just boggled mine... That's how it works on desktop browsers, sure (hence 'fav icon'...) but I've never seen it on mobile so o_O

It just seems weird to me to use a tiny favicon for a touch-based interface where you have to blow it up... But OK. What's bad about the preview again?
    The icon for mobile devices (57x57), isn't the same as the one for computer-based (16x16) browsers. And it does make more sense to use that as an icon. The "preview" icon would be useful if it actually updated itself, but since it doesn't (and since very few sites are designed with its use), I would prefer it follow what iPhone/iPod devices use.

And while it was introduced by Apple (hence the name of apple-touch-icon.png) it is something that will likely be supported by other mobile devices.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    You can use any icon for a bookmark in the launcher. Just open the browser and find an image or icon you want to use for a site. Then open the browser menu and select Page->Add to Launcher. Center the icon as you see fit, THEN replace the url of the image with the url of the actual site and hit the Add to Launcher button. Not the most simple, but it works