Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If Hp pulls off the impossible and starts to rival Apple in popularity do you think Linux will have another shot at mainstream adoption?
    never happen and never happen
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Global Posts
    424 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    If Hp pulls off the impossible and starts to rival Apple in popularity do you think Linux will have another shot at mainstream adoption?
    I'm not exactly sure what you're implying about HP and Linux. If you mean Linux as a desktop OS, I don't see it ever being mainstream. I always try new Linux distro's (Ubuntu, SUSE, etc.) and am usually dual booting a distro on my desktop. I also use Ubuntu on my netbook as an everyday OS. There are still major mainstream applications that do not run natively in Linux. Until that happens, I don't see it happening.

Please clarify if I misunderstood the topic.
    - Verizon Palm Pre Plus UberKernel Screenstate 500/1000
    - Microsoft Zune HD 32gb
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    I don't think many people even know that webOS is Linux. Besides, for most people dealing with linux would be a huge pain and not really worth it. Personally I love Ubuntu, but I'm willing to bet that for the "what's a driver crowd" Linux won't stick without someone pulling an OS X.
  5.    #5  
    2 thoughts

1. wasn't implying that HP would push desktop PC's but that the popularity of WebOS would reignight an intrest in linux. ( personally know nothign about linux myself, but i have thought about looking more into it since i have become more interested in WebOS.)

2. I just realized that If WebOs on tablets is as successful as we hope it will be that it could be the most successful version of Linux.
    There are a lot in the Linux community that don't want dominance on the desktop (and Apple even got out of that game). Rather, I think it's better to have it the platform for embedded and consumer devices. IMHO, it fits very well there.

And unless businesses moved to it or gaming moved towards it, Linux won't (and probably shouldn't) try to take away the dominance Windows has on the desktop. Even if it did, one distro would have to really overwhelm the others, which doesn't seem likely.

That said, you probably should mess around with a distro of Linux sometime. It would give you a better understanding of WebOS. (Of course, it's not required.) With VMs being so easy to work with now, it's really not too hard to get Linux up and running, without hurting your Windows environment or knowing the sometimes frustrating particulars of dual/multi-booting.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    Titan... go and download sun's virtubox... then download an ubuntu ISO and you can have a linux box running on windows.. see for yourself!
    WebOS has no relevance to desktop linux computing.

People are in general way to familiar with Windows and also it has never been HP's want or desire to push linux on the desktop userspace, only the mobile.
    I think what titan is suggesting is that since webOS is linux based and if on the offchance that it picks up in popularity then linux desktops would follow in an increase in popularity.

I'd say no. You could make that same argument about android right now seeing as it's picked up in terms of popularity.
    Quote Originally Posted by bends View Post
    WebOS has no relevance to desktop linux computing
    Until HP replaces the quickstart OS they're currently shipping on TouchSmart Desktop computers with webOS.

Linux is the operating system of the future! (and has been for the past 20 years...)
    pffft. i enjoy my 5 minute boot time on my pre.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Until HP replaces the quickstart OS they're currently shipping on TouchSmart Desktop computers with webOS.

Linux is the operating system of the future! (and has been for the past 20 years...)
    Not to mention that your computer is going to have to talk to your linux printer soon!
    Not to mention that your computer is going to have to talk to your linux printer soon!
    Don't forget the linux toaster. I also doubt any of my ubuntu boxen would mind having a linux printer to talk to. They might even enjoy it.
    Your printer might already be running linux. You'd be surprised exactly how many things these days use a streamlined version of the linux kernel. It's pretty big in embedded systems.
    I don't think that phones will get people excited about Linux, but I bet tablets will open some eyes. That said, has anyone noticed the Windoz has replaced Linux in the netbook market?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Derango View Post
    Your printer might already be running linux. You'd be surprised exactly how many things these days use a streamlined version of the linux kernel. It's pretty big in embedded systems.
    Guess thats what happens when your free......look at android
    Android is Linux based as well and you dont see a huge rush to switch right now do you?
  18.    #18  
    Never said anything about switching only wondered if it would revive intrest.
    as far as reviving linux, I doubt consumer interest in linux has ever been higher. Ubuntu is very easy to use, and we are in the midst of a recession; I know people who are using linux and don't even really know they're using "linux", just ubuntu or mint.
    Hi, as being rather new to the forum, could not view your links. Will attempt to increase standing, yet in the mean time would you be able to shoot me your link directly. Thank you in advance, for what ever you can do.

here is what

"My tutorials on WebOS development:" & "My apps:"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast