1.    #1  
    Check this out:

IT Infrastructure: Tablet Design Specs: 10 Weak Features to Avoid
    Don Reisinger

#6 Says This:
    WebOS [sic]

HP's acquisition of Palm was partly due to its desire to get WebOS [sic]. And some folks, especially Palm fanatics, believe WebOS [sic] is a great platform. But it won't work on a tablet. The software lacks third-party apps, it hasn't been proven to work in the smartphone market, and it wouldn't be able to successfully compete against iOS in the tablet space. WebOS [sic] might be fine for smartphones, but for tablets, it would be a failure.
    First, the name is webOS -- not WebOS. Way to get your facts straight.

Second, I would imagine the third-party app developers currently selling their wares to the webOS community would beg to differ with the statement, "software lacks third-party apps".

Third, exactly how has webOS not been proven in the smartphone market?

Fourth, how would true multitasking of ALL apps in webOS not work? You claim iOS 3 will not work because it lacks multitasking. I would contend iOS 4 has pseudo-multitasking because it is so limited. You think this is better for the user than true multitasking?

Finally, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I respect yours, no matter how much I disagree.
    It's clear the guy who wrote that doesn't know a lot about mobile platforms and tablets. His baseline for comparison was the iPad (and maybe that is a good starting point, but the iPad does leave some things to be desired).

If you don't want to go look at what he wrote, this is my summary:

If the tablet doesn't have a big company backing it like Apple, it will fail. If it doesn't have the apple app catalog it will fail. Doesn't have a huge screen like the iPad, it will fail. Basically, every slide could have been "if it doesn't do ::insert any spec/app:: like the iPad/Apple, it is going to fail."

If his article was titled, "10 Must Have Features for the Best Tablet EVER!", then maybe I could digest this article a little bit better. Even then, it probably would be just as bad.
    I love these "journalists" that were silent before the iPad went on sale, but now that its a big success they want to claim to be experts of the obvious.
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    Check this out:

IT Infrastructure: Tablet Design Specs: 10 Weak Features to Avoid
    Don Reisinger

#6 Says This:

First, the name is webOS -- not WebOS. Way to get your facts straight.

Second, I would imagine the third-party app developers currently selling their wares to the webOS community would beg to differ with the statement, "software lacks third-party apps".

Third, exactly how has webOS not been proven in the smartphone market?

Fourth, how would true multitasking of ALL apps in webOS not work? You claim iOS 3 will not work because it lacks multitasking. I would contend iOS 4 has pseudo-multitasking because it is so limited. You think this is better for the user than true multitasking?

Finally, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I respect yours, no matter how much I disagree.
    I wouldn't put too much effort into his articles. Everywhere he writes, there are numerous posts questioning the accuracy of his information and if he really knows what he's talking about. He used to be a frequent guest on TWiT and I can't, for the life of me, remember anything prolific about his opinions. Furthermore, he a "free-lance" writer. The only way to get noticed as a free-lancer is to go out on a limb, say something absurd, say it loud and attract attention. If you get lucky and are right about something so far-fetched, people will think you're a genius.
    Wow. Remind me to never quote Don Reisinger as an "expert" in anything tech related. The only support he offers for his statement is the lack of apps. That will be something easily solved once webOS relaunches with HP, and more and more devs become familiar with its possibilities. Also, with the PDK allowing app porting, (hopefully) the app store will continue to increase in size with apps comparable in quality to Apple's app store.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    I tried sending him an email, but it bounced...
    he's making a circular argument. It won't work because it needs apps to work. iOS works because it has apps to make it work.

so he is really arguing that tablets need apps to work., thus demonstrating his mastery of the obvious and tangental.

by his logic, my car won't work without gas, and my dvd player won't work without without DVD's. I hope someone gets to work on that.
    Don Reisinger is an ***** (note the capitalization) who has had very little good to say about WebOS or Palm in the past. He is famous for his 10 lists and in his last 373 articles, less than 10 have focused on Palm or Palm products. His “Fans” rank him 2 out of 5 stars so his average following is in the negative column. In his "Tablet Design Specs: 10 Weak Features to Avoid" article he makes several statements that really don’t make sense. For example the said that a successful tablet must run iOS4 or higher, yet the iPad runs on iOS3 and appears to be successful. I discount the article as a technocrat trying to show everyone how much he knows.

Tablet Design Specs: 10 Weak Features to Avoid - IT Infrastructure from eWeek
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    that's funny... but i DON'T respect their opinion! It's obvious they know jack-crap about what they're typing!!!
    I would love to read his response when the webos palmpad is successful. I personally think they should call it a Palm Pilot HD. Nostalgia and everything else has HD attached to it.
    the guy is a moron and does not understand that things can be done without 'apps'
    i never really had a problem with functionality of wimo, just appearance wise its bland as could be, still using an ipaq on my desk now for certain things
    Palm prē-ist.