1.    #1  
    Hi all,

This is a very plain and simple article singing the praises of webOS. For those of us like me, who know nothing about programing...it gave me a better understand of the issues involved.

I also have not graduated to a webOS smart phone....as my Centro contract (2 years), 5 weeks...at that point there is no sense getting a Pre...as the new Palm phones will either be out or announced!

Take care all,

Jay

5 New Features In the Cards for Palm WebOS 2.0
    By Kevin C. Tofel Aug. 31, 2010, 2:00pm PDT

5 New Features In the Cards for Palm WebOS 2.0 «

Palm today shared details of what to expect in the next major release of its mobile platform, webOS 2.0. The information is technically about the SDK or software development kit for webOS developers, but provides a glimpse of improved features and functions that webOS 2.0 devices will see. This next version is likely to power not just smartphones, but also tablets and printers, according to comments made by HP after the company purchased Palm for $1.2 billion in April. Here’s an overview of what to expect in webOS 2.0 and why such features matter.

Stacks — Palm is taking what’s arguably its most innovative webOS feature — multitasking with apps using a card paradigm — and making it more efficient with stacks. Each card represents a running program, and webOS 2.0 will smartly stack programs that have some type of user link between them. Think of tapping a URL in the email card, for example. In that case, the operating system will group the email and browser cards together, allowing for faster and more intuitive app switching: smarter stacks make for smarter multitasking.

Just Type – The old (but very useful and now often imitated) Universal Search in webOS gets a new name and greater functionality. Called Just Type, webOS users can still start typing at anytime to find and launch apps, look up contacts or search the web. But the search feature can also be integrated into apps by developers and will auto-suggest words based on context. Even better will be the ability for what Palm calls “quick actions.” Typing on the keyboard can initiate emails, text messages and social networking status messages without opening an app. I liken this to the new Google Voice Actions launched for Android earlier this month and I hope that Palm doesn’t limit quick actions to keyboard input only — voice control is beneficial for hands-free smartphone use.

Synergy — Again, this function was ground-breaking when Palm introduced it, but it seems as though every platform can now sync contact data with social networks and third-party services such as LinkedIn. Palm is taking Synergy a step further in webOS 2.0, allowing developers to tap into these connector functions. Palm says a third-party IM app could use the contacts database on a phone or integrate a sports team schedule into the calendar, for example. I’ll be curious to see if webOS 2.0 provides the users with control over what Synergy data can be shared with a application.

Exhibition — This feature adds more value to the über-cool Touchstone dock that charges a Palm device using wireless magnetic induction. Expect to see webOS apps that run in a “dock” mode when on the Touchstone charging puck. WebOS devices will be smart enough to know when they’re on the dock, so these types of apps can just kick off and run automatically when the phone senses the dock.

JavaScript / PDK / HTML 5 — Palm breaks these developer-specific enhancements out, but I’m lumping them all together because when used in combination, they should allow for superb third-party applications. Palm says the new support for JavaScript nodes will bridge “new capabilities—like low-level networking, file system access, and binary data processing—to the web technology stack. The PDK, or Plug-In Development Kit isn’t new, but comes out of beta with webOS 2.0. And it won’t be standalone as it is today — developers can create webOS plug-ins using C or C++ and call them from basic HTML / CSS / JavaScript apps, which form the basis of a webOS title. Palm is also adding HTML 5 enhancements, which should bring offline data caching for apps that traditionally require a connection.

The new features in webOS 2.0 are fairly evolutionary, but that’s not meant in a negative way — having owned a Palm Pre for eight months, I found the webOS platform to be more revolutionary than any other mobile operating system at the time. As a result, the webOS 2.0 news appears to me as the next logical step to make an outstanding platform even better. I’m looking forward to what can be done with great Palm software and HP’s hardware expertise.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  2.    #2  
    Hi everyone,

More on webOS...They are right HP has to throw everything at marketing and getting apps written for webOS!

take care,

jay

HP's WebOS 2 is pushed to developers
    Looks better than ever
    By Lawrence Latif

Hp's webos 2 is pushed to developers - The Inquirer

Wed Sep 01 2010, 13:31 IT LOOKS LIKE HP's investment in Palm's WebOS is looking likely to pay off as the outfit took the wraps off the latest version of the operating system.

Released to developers via its early access program, WebOS 2.0 offers updates to multitasking capabilities, search, synchronisation and development tricks and tools. The production release of the operating system is expected sometime before the end of the year.

Though WebOS has been able to multitask since its first release, using a 'cards' system, now WebOS can stack cards allowing them to be moved around the screen. The whole thing sounds like a marriage of Apple-esque design with real technological merit, showing just what Apple could have done if it bothered to do any real innovation and ditched the marketing flim-flam.

Other interesting features include the ability to design applications to run when the device is on the Touchstone charging cradle. With added Javascript and HTML5 capabilities, people will be wondering why HP doesn't load it onto more devices when the operating system finally tips up.

HP's recent purchase of Palm was all about the firm's impressive WebOS. The problem for Palm is that even with the well-received Pre smartphone, it simply was too little, too late to turn the outfit's fortunes around. One of the criticisms leveled at Palm and its WebOS was the lack of applications, something that this early developer's release will help to mitigate.

The problem for HP is, just how many developers will spend time and money developing applications for an operating system that has a relatively small install base? Even with its impressive feature set, HP still hasn't provided any clear information on which devices it will install this clearly capable operating system.

If HP doesn't give the market some guidance and encouragement fairly soon, technology fans could once again be frustrated at seeing one of the best touchscreen operating systems languish on devices that aren't worthy of it
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Jay do you read the articles on precentral.net? That news is outdated by a long shot
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  4.    #4  
    Hi,

I am so sorry!

OFF WITH MY HEAD!

I have been tied up for a few days and have only started to read the Precentral articles....so much is going on with Palm/HP & webOS. That a day or so away from the computer has put me very far behind!

Take care, Jay

BTW the first one is a little clear to understand for someone like me who has no idea how programing/app creation works...especially considering I have NEVER used a Palm Pre....as I said in posting number 2, I still have a Centro, for only 5 more weeks. I did see the PRE at a Radio Shack when it came out. However, I saw it only as it was so crowed in the store that day, I ever got to try it. It didn't matter, since I was still tied to V with my Centro and had over a year to go at that time!

Take care,

Jay
    Hope 2.0 will run on current devices such as the Sprint Pre . . .
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Hope 2.0 will run on current devices such as the Sprint Pre . . .
    Hi all,

Unless I am mistaken, I think webOS 2.0 WILL original model Pre phones! Please anyone correct me if I am wrong!

Take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi,
    I have been tied up for a few days and have only started to read the Precentral articles....so much is going on with Palm/HP & webOS. That a day or so away from the computer has put me very far behind!
    RSS readers FTW. Sign up through feedrinse and put in the precentral feed. Filter out Predoodle, new in app catalog, palm sighting, tips, palmcast, the competition, from the forums, pc brain trust, best of smartphone experts, and you're more or less good to go with a streamlined feed that gets you straight to the news
    Hey Jay I also have centro Since December 2008, same one too never replaced. I am living on my wife's pre plus meanwhile. Hold on dont upgrade Pre-2 is just around the corner.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

Unless I am mistaken, I think webOS 2.0 WILL original model Pre phones! Please anyone correct me if I am wrong!

Take care,

Jay
    Jay its going to come out on a new and a lot better or maybe amazing hardware
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Jay its going to come out on a new and a lot better or maybe amazing hardware
    Hopefully. I do remember reading that WebOS 2.0 will be released to the current devices too.
    Yeah pretty sure it will be on the current devices. Plus roadrunner was spotted running on 320x480, if that's any indication.
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    Yeah pretty sure it will be on the current devices. Plus roadrunner was spotted running on 320x480, if that's any indication.
    If the next WebOS device uses 320x480, I'm going to be sad.
    It all goes together, the old resolution was to test current devices while the HD resolution was for newer devices. That means palm is testing webOS 2.0 on both old and new devices
    but dude.... more pressing issue at the moment, you read the inquirer?
    Palm prē-ist.
    Thanks for the articles yet again Jay!
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    its going to work well on a tablet. Samsung just released a badass tablet, and I'm finally starting to see HPs desire to put WebOS on tablets.