1.    #1  
    I know WebOS 2.0 is coming out later this year... Hopefully. But there are a few enhancements I wish to see from WebOS in the future. I thought I would bring this up as it would certainly add more functionality to it and put it ahead of the game or atleast at a good running speed. I want to encourage all users to come up with a detailed idea about what they want to see in WebOS thats unique and explain how it could work. Please do not comment on other people's idea's, rather, just post your own idea or a revision to someone elses idea. If you post something like that, then feel free to sneak in a comment about someone else's idea. But its preferred that a conversation is held in PM. I would like to keep this thread on track without making it too confusing or filled with non-sense. Please only post one idea per post so that it is organized. Once you are done posting an idea, send it to Palm here: Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA so that it gets heard. Take a look at the example below of my idea for a Dynamic Wallpaper and follow suit. Thanks for listening and participating.

1) Dynamic wallpaper - The ability to have a background is nice, but nowadays I think it needs some greater features to it. Will we eventually see widgets implemented into it? Probably not anytime soon. I think WebOS wants to focus on something more unique and that is their own that can also prove to be beneficial. Of course, once WebOS has established where it wants to go, it may include that feature.

But what I am suggesting is far more different in regards to what the wallpaper can do. First off, when I turn on my pre, I like knowing that I am seeing something there that is working, pulling information or just being active. There are three area's to this that can make up what a Dynamic Wallpaper does. Its important to note that a Dynamic Wallpaper is not from some prorgam running from the background constantly changing the wallpaper thats displayed. Rather its an enhanced system with layered features to it. The three aspects that make up the Dynamic Wallpaper?

a) Animated wallpapers. This feature is so small in comparison to what others may suggest, yet it makes the pre come alive and adds a sense of intelligence to the WebOS device. How can one implement an animated wallpaper? Well, one could use GIF files. But nowadays, animated PCX files are becoming a new standard little by little. In my opinion, that would be the way to go.

b) Dynamic Content Layers. This is the tricky thing to implement. But its well worth it in the long run. What is it? Basically all it is is information. A simple script can pull information from a database, from a file, from the web or from anything really. It can be used to display weather, facebook messages, text messages or anything you want. It can be coded to do more than just display information. It can display unlimited amount of info on one page, as long as the memory can support it. For one thing, DCL's should be able to scroll both up or down as to be able to view all information on one page.

DCL's will be overlayed over the background wallpaper. Their background can contain frames or other background images or icons. Or if you choose, they can be completely transparent. Eventually in the future, DCL's can also be interactive with the user. But I think thats something for a future release. The only interaction I would suggest for the DCL is that a user can drag a piece of DCL Content and switch it around on the screen, much like we can do with app icons in the launcher.

c) Background page swaps. Much like how the android works with its widget pages, the background on the WebOS system can also be swiped to change what wallpaper is displayed and what content we see overlayed. At times we may want the background to be displayed with the overlayed info, other times we may just want to swipe to the next page which only displays the background and no info. I would suggest that each device should atleast be allowed to have six background pages. A user can organize what background is displayed on the page and what info on each page. If cards are displayed, swiping below or above the cards can still swipe the page.

Here is the kicker to this... much like how Linux systems have multipled desktops, the cards that are running get moved with the page. Now a user can open a whole new set of cards on that page. Swiping back to the other page will display the other cards that the user previously had opened.

This allows for a very dynamic, interactive and living environment on the Pre as well as add a new option to how multi-tasking works on the WebOS devices, putting it in the lead as far as multitasking goes.
    start by listing every feature of Treo and Centro to get back to being a world-class PDA.
    You want Palm to compete? How about a native OSK?
  4.    #4  
    OK. Not following the rules. Pick ONE idea per each post that you make. Explain it in detail for how it works and why you would like it and how it would help Palm and WebOS.

Please stick to the topic rules. I am aiming for a very specific type of thread. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdiperla View Post
    OK. Not following the rules. Pick ONE idea per each post that you make. Explain it in detail for how it works and why you would like it and how it would help Palm and WebOS.

Please stick to the topic rules. I am aiming for a very specific type of thread. Thanks.
    A native OSK works by allowing input to the device by the end-user. End-users using the phone in landscape will not have to do circus acts to flip and turn their phones in order to input information.

Practically all of the competition has had this brilliant idea (such as this OSK phenomenon), therefore, for Palm to be taken seriously, it is in their best interest to get off their collective butts and implement this novel idea.
    I offer the same arguments for getting back to par on PIM functionality. None of the really cool stuff doesn't matter if they haven't brought "table stakes" to the game. Sorry if that's not what you are looking for. I'd be happy to delete my posts if that would help you.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Better Calendar. Like Datebk6 with color coordinating, icons, fonts and birthday integration/reminders. Needs to be more customizable.
    Here are some ideas I had.

1) Enable Smartflex and 125mhz-500mhz screenstate scaling to increase battery life.

2) Enable Hardware Accelerated animations for the main OS for lag free performance, while letting the CPU focus on other tasks.

3) Add the Comanche and other tweaks that homebrew developers have done to turn up the virtual memory and completely abolish the Too Many Apps errors.

4) Add a "features store" like I mentioned in this post. Basically make the patches an official part of WebOS.

http://forums.precentral.net/general...-official.html

5)If the above is not possible, then add a lot of the MegaMix and Uber patches that have been created in WebOS into the new update. They were freely created and have been tested thoroughly by the community, you would be stupid to not add them.

6)Integrate Facebook Chat and Skype right into Synergy (as mentioned in this post)

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...e-synergy.html

7) Voice Command for contacts, dialing, answering and searching, Text to Voice and Voice to SMS.

8) An integration of that Graffiti 2 input as seen on the Chinese Palm Pre's

9) Buy the rights for the Music Remix 2 app that is being made and just integrate its features as the normal music player.

10) Create a similar messaging app to BBM. (It is so easy to do)

11) Make Classic apps run emulated in a way that they appear native, so have them launch-able from the main Launcher window, and have them open induvidually, as opposed to in the "Classic App" environment.

12) Better A2DP support (you need to increase the bitrate to 48kb/s, right now it is too low and the sound is splashy and distorted in the high end)

13) Full Document Editing Suite.

14) Create widgets, but rather than having them on the main screen, have a dropdown from the top of the screen similar to the Notifications at the bottom, where widgets in Notification-like slices can be hidden and accessed quickly but put away so they arent obtrusive.

15) Add more video playback and audio playback codecs

16) Pinch-Zoom for the camera.

17) Wifi file transfer that works regardless of OS (Bluetooth is too slow, not supported enough) Basically to support any OS just support the Samba protocol in Linux and have the Pre act as a network device with shared folders.

18) Create an official Java-based computer app that lets people sync their iTunes or other music to the phone via wifi, take of photos, as well as backup and load their iCal and other documents. Using USB is nice for nerds, but non-geeks like to have some sort of official app. Also have this app easily download and add ringtones, and possibly an official music store and be able to preview the App Catalog. So basically a newer version of Palm Desktop. Also the program could diagnose and fix problems with WebOS automatically, like an official WebOSRepairUtility. Also make any cloud services or music stores available right on the phone as an app too, dont force people to use their computers.

19) Let people add their own SMS tones without needing some homebrew app.

20) Facebook Places integration

21) Just add a ton more Synergy (MSN messenger, Myspace Messenger, Flickr and Photobucket uploading) although I am sure that third party developers will do this now that the API is open to them

Alright I guess that about covers it
  9.    #9  
    So much for everyone following my thread rules...
    OCD called they want you back.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    *circa 2005
    in 2005 and in 2010, the calendar has 365 days and 12 months. Contacts still have names, phone numbers, and companies.

And I still need a PDA that let's me set the ringtone volume separately from call volume. Yep, that's old school PDA talk.
    Virtural Keyboard
    To improve synergy, make Contacts interface better with each of the accounts you synchronize to. (Similar to the way the Calendar app works).

Examples:

Add a top bar with a button on the right that would allow you to select "All" contacts, or just "Gmail", "Yahoo", "Facebook", etc.

When adding a new contact, allow you to select which account it will sync with, instead of making the "Default" account mandatory.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    To improve synergy, make Contacts interface better with each of the accounts you synchronize to. (Similar to the way the Calendar app works).

Examples:

Add a top bar with a button on the right that would allow you to select "All" contacts, or just "Gmail", "Yahoo", "Facebook", etc.

When adding a new contact, allow you to select which account it will sync with, instead of making the "Default" account mandatory.
    I think the Contacts need much better categorizing more than just by Service. (yahoo, facebook)

You should be able to categorize by Job, Service, Number Type (mobile,home, work) etc.

Also, they should let you unadd contacts from Facebook and Yahoo. Not everyone wants their 1000 facebook users on their contact list.
    Here's what annoys me most about the current way it works:

I use Google as my "official" contacts, but have a Yahoo account also for quite a few entries of individuals which for various reasons I want to keep separate from my "main" contact list. If I add an additional phone number for those which sync to Yahoo, it ends up creating a duplicate entry for that contact in Google also.

Being able to filter by category would be nice also, but have been able to accomplish that to a certain extent with ProntoDial.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Not unique, but it's high time they open up more (all?) of the capabilities of the hardware to developers. It's rather ridiculous that, 15 months after initial launch, developers still have no real access to the camera, the microphone, etc. These are things that iphone developers have leveraged to create incredibly advanced, paradigm-changing technologies - like photo-depositing a check, shazaam, etc.