Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    apparently you haven't seen the blackberry 'love' comercials. It's a pretty big marketing blitz by rim. You should go to the rim forums and tell them they're wasting money.
    Doesn't remember the commercials for the BB STORM!! either ... with just a big cloud and saying.... COMING SOON! ... they didn't even show the phone and it was a pretty big success for such a HORRIBLE phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Originally posted by kinster02

I don't think buttons are the answer. If that were true, no one would own iPhones. I don't see a bunch of buttons on it. I think WebOS 2 needs better advertisement and for the carrier sales staff to at least have a basic cursory knowledge of the device. Oh, and good hardware.

Iphone has buttons unlike the Pre you're swiping, flicking and tapping to open, close and navigate around...you're not doing that with and Iphone. The closest thing to swiping is moving through the 7 Android screens. And I think the biggest thing that helped Iphone get where it is besides the apps and being and Apple product was the the eco system that was in place already...the Ipod/Itunes. A great deal of people had Ipods and when the opportunity came along to have two devices in one and keep your tunes, docks and accessories... it was just natural to just flock to it.

This is the same route MS is taking to capitalize on their Zune and Xbox by integrating them into there Wp7 OS. I'm Zune user but I prefer not to use my phone battery playing music.
    Last edited by kinster02; 09/02/2010 at 09:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    I'm underwhelmed with the headline features they've announced for webOS 2.0. So far I haven't needed to have so many cards open at one time that they need to be grouped. And there are many other features I'd rather have than "just type", which does not seem that much better than the universal search we already have (unless I'm missing something).
    Contrary to what you think, I think Just Type combined w/Quick Actions is one of the most important advances of 2.0. 1st, they are saying Just Type works for everything on the phone, vs the few things for Universal Search (great concept) does. 2nd, when combined w/Quick Actions this allow you to use Apps w/o ever opening them! Tasks, calendars, facebook, texts, e-mails, etc.

As for cards, to me it is more of a refinement of our TRUE multi tasking that many other phones/OS's still don't have. Much more organized, easy to find cards/applications that were opened. If you never have more than 1 or 2 cards open, then probably no big deal--I have a feeling you are simply not letting your creativity/mind loose for ways these items can be used. Hopefully, many practical examples will be forthcoming, but I can think of a few already.

Finally, remember, what was released was for developers. Palm, Sood, & others have all mentioned there are many more items that will be for the every day user (vs developer) that have simply not been announced yet--an example from the pictures announcing 2.0 would be Spell Check.

Don't be too quick to judge. Give it a chance.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    "...And I think the biggest thing that helped Iphone get where it is besides the apps and being and Apple product was the the eco system that was in place already...the Ipod/Itunes. A great deal of people had Ipods and when the opportunity came along to have two devices in one and keep your tunes, docks and accessories... it was just natural to just flock to it."

I agree w/this part of what you say. The iPhone was simply an extension of other Apple products. Also, so many people had the other products, it was easy to figure out or for someone to show you.

Personally, for most basic functions, the Pre is the most intuitive phone I have ever owned & when I show it to others or let them play w/it, they are amazed at how easy it is & love the card concept.

I do agree the reps at the stores need to care about & understand the phone. The closest Sprint store to my house usually has 2 teenage girls who are on the phone & only get off the phone if I make them--and they are not happy about that.

The fact is, the Apple fan boys I know (and I have a MacBook Pro & an iMac), Apple could produce a fart and they would go pay $250 for it & the media would be amazed that Apple not only invented the fart, but report that their fart doesn't stink.

HP/Palm needs that kind of following & loyalty again. It will be up to them to build the kind of product that combines hardware/software that will make the average smart phone user to stand up & take notice. If they don't, it won't matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    The fact is, the Apple fan boys I know (and I have a MacBook Pro & an iMac), Apple could produce a fart and they would go pay $250 for it & the media would be amazed that Apple not only invented the fart, but report that their fart doesn't stink.

That's just a fantastic line right there
    It's a fantastic line since by most definitions he's also an apple fanbo.y since he owns more than one apple product.
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    Iphone has buttons unlike the Pre you're swiping, flicking and tapping to open, close and navigate around...you're not doing that with and Iphone. The closest thing to swiping is moving through the 7 Android screens. And I think the biggest thing that helped Iphone get where it is besides the apps and being and Apple product was the the eco system that was in place already...the Ipod/Itunes. A great deal of people had Ipods and when the opportunity came along to have two devices in one and keep your tunes, docks and accessories... it was just natural to just flock to it.

This is the same route MS is taking to capitalize on their Zune and Xbox by integrating them into there Wp7 OS. I'm Zune user but I prefer not to use my phone battery playing music.
    I guess I consider all of the keys buttons and the button in the middle of the screen a button. Every time I've seen my friends iPhone, he has to tap on his screen to do stuff and he has to do a lot more maneuvering to get things done.

The minute I turn on the screen, there are five icons on the desktop. When I slide out my keyboard, I have numerous buttons. I think talking about buttons is just a lame excuse with no merit. Tell me about true issues like no true Bluetooth protocol, too many card errors, non-responsive keys. Something that is a true issue for some.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I want palm to succeed, but if it got to the point where everybody has a webos phone I wouldnt feel special anymore.
    huh, ?
    people get so lost in the sheer number of apps thier phone does, they dont know who they are anymore. Just the other day, my friend and I were using his phone to hunt for meterorites !

I like the mini cooper and will continue to use it to make phone calls no matter how smart you think it is...
    Remember, "You can't have it all", but you can have a sexy black ergonomic pocket pc that makes phone calls.
    I like the notion made that this phone should keep getting better and better.
    After all, nobody wants to get caught using Skype on a laptop while driving just to make a phone call.
    Give me a larger cell phone that compares to a laptop and I will be a happy safe driver. Its all about being on the road, making calls, surfing the web and broadcasting to your friends. Even email is loosing revenue these days.
    The phone needs a quick change battery, a sim card slot, and IMHO should be the BIGGEST screen (w/ highest res) available on a phone and a camera to match. As for processor and ram, I thought it was a no brainer to incorporate the baddest (bestest) when designing a product like a smartphone, I could be wrong. I just hope the next gens can actually walk the walk and not catch fire in the process.

I, I, I, me, me, me...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    Apple could produce a fart and they would go pay $250 for it & the media would be amazed that Apple not only invented the fart, but report that their fart doesn't stink.
    Apple already thinks it's fart dont stink.
    On the other hand, what good is a fart that doesnt stink...
    If its a fart people want, then lets make the loudest,
    longest and smelliest fart on the market ! lol
    Last edited by tweaka; 09/13/2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: skinkiest/smelliest
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Why WebOS 2.0 Should Have Rivals Worried
    Wasn't webOS 1.0 supposed to have rivals worried?
    I never understand people that leave a concept because it is not the "Jenny" on the block. Either you like what you have or you want to play with everybody and get your self esteem out of being part of the "in" group.

To me the pre is still the best out there...when I see my girl struggle everyday with her iphone I can relax and say wow I don't have any problems at all. When I look at the people constantly bragging for upgrades of their ANDROID I can look at my pre and say it is up to date and it is with everyone who has one...even the cool pixi is up to date with the games...

when I look at at the Windows phones I can say "Thank god I don't need MS on my phone"...for once without Billy Boy...

And I don't need itunes...I just drag my albums, eithe ripped from CD or bought at Amazon onto my phone an listen...
    I can play my favorite movies converted into mp4 with decent quality on my phone...no problem...

And I don't have to type on my screen all day...and still I don't have to bow down to Canada...and their servers.

thanks Palm.
    At this point, WebOS in and of itself is not enough.

1: Webos devices synergy with other devices. (ie AppleTV other IOS devices, Windows Mob 7 with Xbox, Google TV with Android devices.)
    2: HP Needs Music and Video deals
    3: It needs it's own music/video store
    4: It needs it own equivalent to iTunes so people can sync their stuff (but please not the bloat
    5: It needs to develop it's own cool social networking stuff, like Apple's Game center or the lame Ping (I despise SN, but the people love it)
    6: It needs to make really sexy hardware, and not just an Apple clone.
    7: It needs to be a better phone than iPhone, meaning it needs to have no issues with the phone
    8: It needs to have Webos exclusive apps, not just ports of the same old iphone crap
    9: It's tablet needs to have the same battery life or better than an iPad
    10: One advantage iPhone has is the Apple store. HP needs their own store or they need to plant HP people in ATT, Sprint and Verizon. You cannot rely on low budget phone store people to push your wares.

Edit
    11: Strong encryption scheme so enterprise can adopt it.
    12: Dump the keyboard. I think the iPhone sales proved the point, people don't need a keyboard. Don't think so? Compare iPhone sales to Pre. 'Nuff said.

Lastly, and most importantly, they need an equivalent or better Reality Distortion Field than Apple (known in the Apple world as RDF)
    Last edited by sinsin07; 09/29/2010 at 07:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    At this point, WebOS in and of itself is not enough.

1: Webos devices synergy with other devices. (ie AppleTV other IOS devices, Windows Mob 7 with Xbox, Google TV with Android devices.)
    2: HP Needs Music and Video deals
    3: It needs it's own music/video store
    4: It needs it own equivalent to iTunes so people can sync their stuff (but please not the bloat
    5: It needs to develop it's own cool social networking stuff, like Apple's Game center or the lame Ping (I despise SN, but the people love it)
    6: It needs to make really sexy hardware, and not just an Apple clone.
    7: It needs to be a better phone than iPhone, meaning it needs to have no issues with the phone
    8: It needs to have Webos exclusive apps, not just ports of the same old iphone crap
    9: It's tablet needs to have the same battery life or better than an iPad
    10: One advantage iPhone has is the Apple store. HP needs their own store or they need to plant HP people in ATT, Sprint and Verizon. You cannot rely on low budget phone store people to push your wares.

Lastly, and most importantly, they need an equivalent or better Reality Distortion Field than Apple (known in the Apple world as RDF)
    You just posted the ten commandments of HP/PALM webOS survival into the future

*not including the "last but not least" portion*
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
    Global Posts
    608 Global Posts
    Let's just hope HP has the good sense to stay away from creepy albino palm woman when trying to marked 2.0!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123