Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 55
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I want palm to succeed, but if it got to the point where everybody has a webos phone I wouldnt feel special anymore.
    Your feeling of self-worth shouldn't be tied to a phone you buy. It's just a phone.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmatlosz View Post
    I left Palm after 15 years of faithful ownership because of the dismal performance of the Palm Pre and the WebOS. No amount of marketing will make a crappy device palatable to the general public. That is why the Pre bombed, it was junk. When exactly have you seen a Blackberry marketing blitz? Answer is never, but they have a huge market share. I totally disagree with the train of thought here, Palm is doomed............

    Palm Pre/Pixi are both very good. The quality of the Pre build is in question, sure, but the Pixi's quality is much better (just ask any Sprint employee at a retail location). However, Blackberry...? Their newest device can barely compare to the Pre (see this) and yet it is considered to be better? I do apologize, but what your saying just doesn't add up.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    There are three requirements for Palm/WebOS to actually make a mark and survive

    1) Release the BEST hardware possible. No cheap crap that starts to crack from nothing more than normal use, no touch-screens that fail because its 3:07pm and nothing that can handle being overclocked more than double because it's so heavily underclocked it's not even funny.
    The next WebOS device MUST be better than the Evo/Epic. Period.

    2) Battery life is terrible for all smartphones and yet Webos's battery life is worse than the rest by far. That is a problem.

    3) Apps, Apps, Apps. I have 400 apps on my Evo. That's what, half the catalog of Webos?
    The Catalog must get big named places releasing official apps.
    Sounds silly, sounds dumb, and it is but that's what attracts people.

    "Oh I can open my Bank of America app and do all my banking here..."


    IF these three requirements are not met, WebOS will go nowhere.
    IF these three requirements are met, WebOS will still have trouble.

    WebOS is has the BEST UI. No question.

    But big business and big names win the game.
    It's sad, it's unfortunate and it's pathetic. But it's the cold hard truth.
    Thats all very true my friend. I am sure 1 will be taken care of. Remember, Palm had little money to actually produce a good quality phone. HP has the money and the power to deliver a quality product. #2....maybe better? If it's 4G...we'll see. #3...hopefully this sending SDK's to developers to develop app's will help? We'll see!

    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    An excellent technology with poor marketing is doomed -- o_O Wow. Did original PalmOS have great marketing? There are so many things that are great successes only because the tech is amazing. Everything doesn't need a 100,000,000 marketing campaign to be successful.
    My question to you is, what was the original Palm OS's competitor? I know at some point Blackberry popped up, but I know it wasn't at the same time as Palm OS, correct? So maybe in that case it did well because simply...there was no other choice.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    ...
    3) Apps, Apps, Apps. I have 400 apps on my Evo. That's what, half the catalog of Webos?
    ...
    Nearer to 10% actually now
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  4.    #24  
    [QUOTE=Mattykinsx;2639462].

    3) Apps, Apps, Apps. I have 400 apps on my Evo. That's what, half the catalog of Webos?QUOTE]

    Hi, Of those 400 apps, how many do you actually use???

    Poll after poll shows people loading up with apps and then use only 3 to 5 apps on a monthly basis!

    We have over 5000 apps, between official apps, home brew, web apps and beta apps. Additionally, HP is about to add 500 apps, developed by their own employees from a contest, (BTW most of these apps were written by HP employees not Palm employees, most are brand new to webOS).

    We also get about 500 NEW apps per month, currently. That is 500 x Oct, Nov, & Dec = 1,500 apps before the year is over, plus the extra 500 apps = 2,000 apps before the year is over. This means we will have over 7,000 apps.

    Palm has now released a number of tool sets to port many apps and 3D games from other platforms. This can be done in as little as ONE afternoon. App totals will rise dramatical in the next few months...now that Palm is owned by HP!

    Take care,

    Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by copasetic View Post
    I have to support the "marketing is what matters" theory. It's always amazed me how well the BlackBerry has done. Back when it came out, originally, it was remarkably like the Treo. In fact lots of people saw it as a Treo clone, and a terrible one at that. "It does everything the Treo does, only less!" No audio, no video, no games, and none of the nifty commonsensical stuff (like typing first letter last name to find someone, stuff that WebOS still hasn't mastered, btw). Yet it sold, and has continued to sell like crazy, in spite of its simplicity.
    ....

    Then after the BlackBerry, the iPhone came out, and admittedly, years later, STILL couldn't do everything the then 10 year old Treo did. But it sold, even without video or cut and paste (are you kidding me?). Why? It wasn't because it was the best or most reliable product out there. In fact, when the iphone was released, there were no less than 10 products on the market that did all the same things the iPhone did (and more). The iPhone did the same things in a different and new way, and had one thing the others didn't: Marketing.
    The Blackberries were also missing another Treo feature, they didn't crash regularly. OTOH they added at least a couple of features, push email out of the box with full outlook sync for corporate users and multi-tasking.

    As for the 1st gen iPhone, it was the first phone with a decent web browser and was also a great media device.
  6. #26  
    500 is not half the app catalog. I have an Evo and a Pre. Guess which one I go to for games? Hint: not the Evo.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmatlosz View Post
    I left Palm after 15 years of faithful ownership because of the dismal performance of the Palm Pre and the WebOS. No amount of marketing will make a crappy device palatable to the general public. That is why the Pre bombed, it was junk. When exactly have you seen a Blackberry marketing blitz? Answer is never, but they have a huge market share. I totally disagree with the train of thought here, Palm is doomed............

    Yet, your still here and so is WebOS. Oh and WebOS 2.0 is on its way. I guess my cable provider plugged rite into Rim's HQ because im seeing lot of commercials talking about BB involving BB messaging whatever that is.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Nearer to 10% actually now
    It was just an exaggeration to prove a point.

    [QUOTE=ilovedessert;2640188]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    .

    3) Apps, Apps, Apps. I have 400 apps on my Evo. That's what, half the catalog of Webos?QUOTE]

    Hi, Of those 400 apps, how many do you actually use???

    Poll after poll shows people loading up with apps and then use only 3 to 5 apps on a monthly basis!

    We have over 5000 apps, between official apps, home brew, web apps and beta apps. Additionally, HP is about to add 500 apps, developed by their own employees from a contest, (BTW most of these apps were written by HP employees not Palm employees, most are brand new to webOS).

    We also get about 500 NEW apps per month, currently. That is 500 x Oct, Nov, & Dec = 1,500 apps before the year is over, plus the extra 500 apps = 2,000 apps before the year is over. This means we will have over 7,000 apps.

    Palm has now released a number of tool sets to port many apps and 3D games from other platforms. This can be done in as little as ONE afternoon. App totals will rise dramatical in the next few months...now that Palm is owned by HP!

    Take care,

    Jay

    The App amount comment was just an exaggeration to prove a point.

    How many of the 400 apps do I use? I would say a good 50% (at least) have been used and the others will be when necessary (example the Tide Stain Brain app will be great next time I get a stain that I don't know how to remove)

    One other thing, it doesn't matter AT ALL how many times a person uses an app.
    It matters what people are buying and why they're buying it. Apps are the biggest reason, look at the iPhone.

    One other comment, while Homebrew is nice and all I DO NOT count those apps. Why? Because the average user doesn't care about Homebrew. They really don't.
    The average user doesn't want to have to hack their phone in order to get more apps to supplement the few they already get.
    Homebrew is great and I'm not trying to down play it but...it's not a selling point and anything gained from it is not a selling point.


    Quote Originally Posted by mperkinsky View Post
    500 is not half the app catalog. I have an Evo and a Pre. Guess which one I go to for games? Hint: not the Evo.
    The market for mobile gaming isn't big enough to support WebOS.
    Do you know how I know that?
    Because if it was the following of WebOS would be larger than it is.

    With respect to Palm, most people don't want to play the Sims 3 on their phone.
    Are there people out there that do? Sure!
    But most people will stick to computer or console based games.
    And that's not even incorporating the fact that you better keep that phone plugged in when playing a 3d game otherwise you're gonna be playing it for about 30 minutes. Oh and don't forget to not do anything else with the phone or you might get an insufficient memory [too many cards] error message.



    Don't misunderstand me guys, I like Palm and WebOS.
    I didn't really like the idea of going to Android but there's just absolutely no incentive to stay with Palm/WebOS.
    My Pre was replaced by Sprint over 10 times, I say over because I lost count. I officially had a Pre for 12.5 months.
    That means I probably honestly had a new phone every month with the Pre.
    It wasn't from abuse. It was from poor quality.

    I've had my Evo for about 2 months and, besides an issue that required me to go into the console and type a few lines, I've had an issue-free experience.

    My story isn't abnormal either. I remember that whenever I would call *2 or go to a store they would hear that it's a Palm Pre and not even look at it. They would sigh or make some noise showing disgust in the product and then replace it without question. That's the reputation that the Pre has. That's the reputation that Palm now has.
    And it's not going to be an easy thing to climb out of that hole.




    Cards are an absolutely great concept and, very honestly, they're probably the ONLY reason that WebOS has any chance at all.
    But unless 2.0 is much more significant than we could imagine, and much much much better with battery life AND associated with a very state of the art, high quality phone..."meh"...is all I can say.
    And I unfortunately think "meh" is what smartphone users will say too.
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 09/02/2010 at 03:22 PM.
  9. brendu's Avatar
    Posts
    108 Posts
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    #29  
    [QUOTE=Mattykinsx;2640644]It was just an exaggeration to prove a point.

    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post


    The App amount comment was just an exaggeration to prove a point.

    How many of the 400 apps do I use? I would say a good 50% (at least) have been used and the others will be when necessary (example the Tide Stain Brain app will be great next time I get a stain that I don't know how to remove)

    One other thing, it doesn't matter AT ALL how many times a person uses an app.
    It matters what people are buying and why they're buying it. Apps are the biggest reason, look at the iPhone.

    One other comment, while Homebrew is nice and all I DO NOT count those apps. Why? Because the average user doesn't care about Homebrew. They really don't.
    The average user doesn't want to have to hack their phone in order to get more apps to supplement the few they already get.
    Homebrew is great and I'm not trying to down play it but...it's not a selling point and anything gained from it is not a selling point.




    The market for mobile gaming isn't big enough to support WebOS.
    Do you know how I know that?
    Because if it was the following of WebOS would be larger than it is.

    With respect to Palm, most people don't want to play the Sims 3 on their phone.
    Are there people out there that do? Sure!
    But most people will stick to computer or console based games.
    And that's not even incorporating the fact that you better keep that phone plugged in when playing a 3d game otherwise you're gonna be playing it for about 30 minutes. Oh and don't forget to not do anything else with the phone or you might get an insufficient memory [too many cards] error message.



    Don't misunderstand me guys, I like Palm and WebOS.
    I didn't really like the idea of going to Android but there's just absolutely no incentive to stay with Palm/WebOS.
    My Pre was replaced by Sprint over 10 times, I say over because I lost count. I officially had a Pre for 12.5 months.
    That means I probably honestly had a new phone every month with the Pre.
    It wasn't from abuse. It was from poor quality.

    I've had my Evo for about 2 months and, besides an issue that required me to go into the console and type a few lines, I've had an issue-free experience.

    My story isn't abnormal either. I remember that whenever I would call *2 or go to a store they would hear that it's a Palm Pre and not even look at it. They would sigh or make some noise showing disgust in the product and then replace it without question. That's the reputation that the Pre has. That's the reputation that Palm now has.
    And it's not going to be an easy thing to climb out of that hole.




    Cards are an absolutely great concept and, very honestly, they're probably the ONLY reason that WebOS has any chance at all.
    But unless 2.0 is much more significant than we could imagine, and much much much better with battery life AND associated with a very state of the art, high quality phone..."meh"...is all I can say.
    And I unfortunately think "meh" is what smartphone users will say too.
    sadly I have to agree with this comment most of all the posts here... I LOVE webos and im not switching for anything but im not the average user, I know how great webos is and HPalm has a really big uphill battle to fight to get the masses to understand why its so much better... I wish them luck but unless they have STELLAR hardware, no one will even look twice... also the reps at sprint / att / verizon HAVE to know all the in's and outs of webos... its got way too big a learning curve with the gestures for the average bb / android / iphone / dumbphone user to pick one up and understand how to use it... thats another reason it has failed... those carriers employees dont even know how to use webos so if you knew nothing about it, why would you buy it??

    but like I said before, I dont care what anyone else buys, webos does what I want and hopefully 2.0 will fix the issues I have with it. Just please Palm, give us the best hardware possible, you OWE us that much for sticking with webos...
  10. #30  
    @ Mattykinsx:

    Really, 12 phones in 12 months? I'm not saying I don't believe you, but it's hard to imagine that's an even remotely common experience. I have a day 1 Pre (Sprint) and my wife's is about a week younger. We have never needed to trade them in, even though they both have seen a fare share of abuse and rough moments. I just don't think your experience is remotely typical.

    And having 200 apps installed on the off chance that you might come across a situation better handled by Google? It's laughable. We may have our Brighthouse Labs, but at least nobody is trying to sell WebOS users a prepackaged search result while claiming it's an app.
  11. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    It was just an exaggeration to prove a point.




    The App amount comment was just an exaggeration to prove a point.

    How many of the 400 apps do I use? I would say a good 50% (at least) have been used and the others will be when necessary (example the Tide Stain Brain app will be great next time I get a stain that I don't know how to remove)

    One other thing, it doesn't matter AT ALL how many times a person uses an app.
    It matters what people are buying and why they're buying it. Apps are the biggest reason, look at the iPhone.

    One other comment, while Homebrew is nice and all I DO NOT count those apps. Why? Because the average user doesn't care about Homebrew. They really don't.
    The average user doesn't want to have to hack their phone in order to get more apps to supplement the few they already get.
    Homebrew is great and I'm not trying to down play it but...it's not a selling point and anything gained from it is not a selling point.




    The market for mobile gaming isn't big enough to support WebOS.
    Do you know how I know that?
    Because if it was the following of WebOS would be larger than it is.

    With respect to Palm, most people don't want to play the Sims 3 on their phone.
    Are there people out there that do? Sure!
    But most people will stick to computer or console based games.
    And that's not even incorporating the fact that you better keep that phone plugged in when playing a 3d game otherwise you're gonna be playing it for about 30 minutes. Oh and don't forget to not do anything else with the phone or you might get an insufficient memory [too many cards] error message.



    Don't misunderstand me guys, I like Palm and WebOS.
    I didn't really like the idea of going to Android but there's just absolutely no incentive to stay with Palm/WebOS.
    My Pre was replaced by Sprint over 10 times, I say over because I lost count. I officially had a Pre for 12.5 months.
    That means I probably honestly had a new phone every month with the Pre.
    It wasn't from abuse. It was from poor quality.

    I've had my Evo for about 2 months and, besides an issue that required me to go into the console and type a few lines, I've had an issue-free experience.

    My story isn't abnormal either. I remember that whenever I would call *2 or go to a store they would hear that it's a Palm Pre and not even look at it. They would sigh or make some noise showing disgust in the product and then replace it without question. That's the reputation that the Pre has. That's the reputation that Palm now has.
    And it's not going to be an easy thing to climb out of that hole.




    Cards are an absolutely great concept and, very honestly, they're probably the ONLY reason that WebOS has any chance at all.
    But unless 2.0 is much more significant than we could imagine, and much much much better with battery life AND associated with a very state of the art, high quality phone..."meh"...is all I can say.
    And I unfortunately think "meh" is what smartphone users will say too.
    Of course it matters how many times you use an app. If the app you use often is not on another phone, that matters in your phone purchase decision. If an app you don't use often is not on another phone, that app doesn't matter. The important apps to me, can't be done on an iphone without jailbreaking.

    Gameboy, GB Advance, DS, iphone and ipod touch have/had huge mobile gaming markets. And no one seems to care that battery life is just as bad for gaming on the iphone nor can you do anything else while gaming on the iphone.

    As for the sales reps, maybe they're just tired of you coming to the store over and over? Given the things you've said here, you do exaggerate and jump to conclusions a lot.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I want palm to succeed, but if it got to the point where everybody has a webos phone I wouldnt feel special anymore.

    That's utterly pathetic.
  13. #33  
    I'm underwhelmed with the headline features they've announced for webOS 2.0. So far I haven't needed to have so many cards open at one time that they need to be grouped. And there are many other features I'd rather have than "just type", which does not seem that much better than the universal search we already have (unless I'm missing something).
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
    @ Mattykinsx:

    Really, 12 phones in 12 months? I'm not saying I don't believe you, but it's hard to imagine that's an even remotely common experience. I have a day 1 Pre (Sprint) and my wife's is about a week younger. We have never needed to trade them in, even though they both have seen a fare share of abuse and rough moments. I just don't think your experience is remotely typical.

    And having 200 apps installed on the off chance that you might come across a situation better handled by Google? It's laughable. We may have our Brighthouse Labs, but at least nobody is trying to sell WebOS users a prepackaged search result while claiming it's an app.
    First of all, it is a common experience. Although I have stopped coming on here the last few months I recall many discussing having been on their 6 or 7th Pre's and that was only 6 to 8 months after release.
    Moreover, my brother also had a Pre until he bought the Epic at it's release. He bought the Pre at release just like I did and went through 6 or 7. [I don't recall exactly since that's more his business than mine]]
    Also, my mom is currently using my former Pre [it had just been replaced previous to switching it to her number]. This woman has had a treo 600, 650, and 800w [plus other phones previous to those that I can't remember] and has NEVER even dropped her phone much less EVER have to get a replacement. Guess what I just ordered yesterday for her Pre she's been using a month.

    On the app comment you made I have two responses:

    Firstly, that was merely one example of an app that I haven't used yet but will. Another example would be my Priority member app for hotels that will be used next time I stay in a hotel. I've only had the phone a little more than a month so naturally not all situational apps will have been used.

    My other comment is that most smart phone users would rather use an app that has a specific purpose rather than search a search engine for a possible correct answer. It's not laughable, it's practical.

    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Of course it matters how many times you use an app. If the app you use often is not on another phone, that matters in your phone purchase decision. If an app you don't use often is not on another phone, that app doesn't matter. The important apps to me, can't be done on an iphone without jailbreaking.

    Gameboy, GB Advance, DS, iphone and ipod touch have/had huge mobile gaming markets. And no one seems to care that battery life is just as bad for gaming on the iphone nor can you do anything else while gaming on the iphone.

    As for the sales reps, maybe they're just tired of you coming to the store over and over? Given the things you've said here, you do exaggerate and jump to conclusions a lot.
    Usage is important only to a degree. The idea that the app exists plays into the psychology of the situation. "Wow I have the ability to do this via app instead of another way all on my phone..."

    I wouldn't say the Gameboy, GB Advance or DS have battery life anywhere near comparable to a Pre. I'm not saying that the battery life with those are great, but you can't compare it to the Pre.
    Moreover, I will promise you that if you walk up to 10 random smartphone users and say "this one can play 3d games" 1....maybe 2 will be interested.
    And that's pushing it.
    My brother and I both had Pre's and never used the 3d gaming aspect.
    I had two other friends that had Pre's at one point and neither ever played a 3d game.
    All four of us are pretty consistent console/pc gamers. [My brother and one of the friends would classify as heavy gamers]
    Nobody was interested in playing Sims 3, etc on a little phone when it can be played on a TV/Computer. Even Doom which was released via Homebrew [and a game I loved as a kid] was uninstalled pretty quickly. Just wasn't enjoyable on a little phone.



    Finally, in response to your sales rep comment about being tired of me coming to the store over and over:
    Firstly, I've never spoken to the same person twice over *2.
    Secondly, I have three different stores that I go to and besides one time where I had to come RIGHT BACK to the store because the [brand new not refurbished] replacement's key [I believe it was "k" or "r"] did not work out of the box and thus I noticed and walked back to the store and told him....I've never had the same sales rep assist me twice.



    Look, with all due respect, I understand you guys like Palm/WebOS and honestly- I do too. But I'm not gonna be in denial about my experience anymore. I'm not gonna downplay the last year of problems I've had.
    I did. I came on here when people said they had gone through 8+ pre's and said "you must be doing something wrong" but I take what I said to them back because I was wrong. It was the quality of the product.

    I was accused of over exaggerating things somewhere above but honestly, besides the app count [which NOT including homebrew, and I explained why I wasn't, is really not that big of an exaggeration] I haven't exaggerated anything.

    It's just really unfortunate that the Pre turned out like this.
    Palm's lost a lot of core customers and if they can't keep them then how are they ever going to make new ones?
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    That's utterly pathetic.
    Why I gotta be pathetic. I want palm to survive like how benz and bmw survive, not the most popular but exclusive and making money.
  16. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Usage is important only to a degree. The idea that the app exists plays into the psychology of the situation. "Wow I have the ability to do this via app instead of another way all on my phone..."

    I wouldn't say the Gameboy, GB Advance or DS have battery life anywhere near comparable to a Pre. I'm not saying that the battery life with those are great, but you can't compare it to the Pre.
    Moreover, I will promise you that if you walk up to 10 random smartphone users and say "this one can play 3d games" 1....maybe 2 will be interested.
    And that's pushing it.
    My brother and I both had Pre's and never used the 3d gaming aspect.
    I had two other friends that had Pre's at one point and neither ever played a 3d game.
    All four of us are pretty consistent console/pc gamers. [My brother and one of the friends would classify as heavy gamers]
    Nobody was interested in playing Sims 3, etc on a little phone when it can be played on a TV/Computer. Even Doom which was released via Homebrew [and a game I loved as a kid] was uninstalled pretty quickly. Just wasn't enjoyable on a little phone.



    Finally, in response to your sales rep comment about being tired of me coming to the store over and over:
    Firstly, I've never spoken to the same person twice over *2.
    Secondly, I have three different stores that I go to and besides one time where I had to come RIGHT BACK to the store because the [brand new not refurbished] replacement's key [I believe it was "k" or "r"] did not work out of the box and thus I noticed and walked back to the store and told him....I've never had the same sales rep assist me twice.



    Look, with all due respect, I understand you guys like Palm/WebOS and honestly- I do too. But I'm not gonna be in denial about my experience anymore. I'm not gonna downplay the last year of problems I've had.
    I did. I came on here when people said they had gone through 8+ pre's and said "you must be doing something wrong" but I take what I said to them back because I was wrong. It was the quality of the product.

    I was accused of over exaggerating things somewhere above but honestly, besides the app count [which NOT including homebrew, and I explained why I wasn't, is really not that big of an exaggeration] I haven't exaggerated anything.

    It's just really unfortunate that the Pre turned out like this.
    Palm's lost a lot of core customers and if they can't keep them then how are they ever going to make new ones?
    I did not claim the pre battery life is comparable to a gameboy, I said it's the same as an iphone for gaming battery life.
    Also, I find it wrong that you say 9 out of 10 smartphone owners don't care about 3d gaming yet most care to have an app that's a repackaged search result.

    Sorry you've had such bad luck with the pre and there will always be more people who complain on forums than in real life. I've been rough on mine and it's not pretty anymore but everything still works and I'm still on my first for over a year now. btw, you don't have to talk to the same rep twice, they keep a log of you on their computers so they know your history.

    I accept that the pre has many faults but people on this forum make it as if things are much better on other phones yet you get just as much complaining on their forums. Don't get me wrong, I want HP to fix these problems but remember, even the iphone has issues.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    I did not claim the pre battery life is comparable to a gameboy, I said it's the same as an iphone for gaming battery life.
    Also, I find it wrong that you say 9 out of 10 smartphone owners don't care about 3d gaming yet most care to have an app that's a repackaged search result.

    Sorry you've had such bad luck with the pre and there will always be more people who complain on forums than in real life. I've been rough on mine and it's not pretty anymore but everything still works and I'm still on my first for over a year now. btw, you don't have to talk to the same rep twice, they keep a log of you on their computers so they know your history.

    I accept that the pre has many faults but people on this forum make it as if things are much better on other phones yet you get just as much complaining on their forums. Don't get me wrong, I want HP to fix these problems but remember, even the iphone has issues.
    Well the way it came off was that you were claiming comparability with those gaming devices but if that's not what you intended then sorry for the confusion.
    As far as me claiming that most care about have an app that is a "repackaged search result" I NEVER stated that.
    I merely gave that app as an example for an app I haven't used prior but will as I feel it has some practicality to it.

    I do know that there's a history in my account when they log in and but there were several times where they didn't even get my name or number yet, saw it was a Pre, and immediately gave some annoyed noise and said lets just replace it.
    I'm not going to lie and say that EVERYTIME they didn't have me logged in first, but at least three times I can recall, they hadn't even logged in yet.

    I'm not trying to say that the iPhone [which I hate], crapberrys or Android phones don't have issues.
    And I'm not trying to say that the Pre is nothing but an issue.
    [Side note: it is extremely important in this type of market to be BETTER than the competition. Especially if you're just starting out and a small business.]

    What I AM trying to say here is that the Pre is viewed in a very bad way in a general sense.
    And being that it is what would best be described as a "bust" it is going to be VERY, VERY difficult to change people's minds.

    Americans change their opinions very slowly and they are in love with big business [contrary to whatever people want to believe] and those two truths are huge problems for Palm.

    I promise you, I guarantee you, that the only reason that Android has taken off to the extent it has is because the name Google.
    In fact, I know that's the reason. Android is nothing special. It's okay, and the Evo is a powerful phone, but it's nothing special. Android didn't bring very much to the table, certainly from a User Interface aspect and yet it is doing very well.

    The best bet for Palm/HP:

    Release a HIGH QUALITY, STATE OF THE ART device with very very very much improved battery life and spend all the money possible growing that app catalog.
    And one other important requirement.

    Call it the "HP whatever".
    Don't associate Palm's name with it but indicate it's a WebOS phone.

    That is the BEST way to gain market share and get this on the right track.
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 09/02/2010 at 09:21 PM. Reason: proof read
  18. #38  
    Can't we all just get along (ha, ha) Just kidding. Now back to the title of the thread:

    Why WebOS 2.0 Should Have Rivals Worried: 1) WebOS is a great mobile operating system and now with HP behind it, there is enough money to get WebOS to the attention of the masses. 2) When WebOS 2 comes to the attention of the masses, the early adopters will be eager to help new owners or prospective owners to know what the device is capable of 3) With HP behind it, the carriers (VZW) may think twice about allowing their employees to bad-mouth a device they carry w/o even knowing the device 4) WebOS phone owners have discriminating taste and a crystal ball, thus, we've never backed a looser (ha, ha).
  19. #39  
    [QUOTE=brendu;2640686][QUOTE=Mattykinsx;2640644]It was just an exaggeration to prove a point.


    I wish them luck but unless they have STELLAR hardware, no one will even look twice... also the reps at sprint / att / verizon HAVE to know all the in's and outs of webos... its got way too big a learning curve with the gestures for the average bb / android / iphone / dumbphone user to pick one up and understand how to use it... thats another reason it has failed... those carriers employees dont even know how to use webos so if you knew nothing about it, why would you buy it??



    Man you took the words right out of my mouth and this is something I posted in other threads. As intuitive as webos might be its not intuitive for the masses which Palm needs to sell to for webos to survive. The average Joe or Jane likes and are used to buttons and they are lost when using the Pre/Pixi...in other words they don't want to learn new tricks.

    This why you can go to a retail store and watch people walk right by the Pre because they are intimidated by it because they don't know how to use it so they naturally flock over to the phones with the buttons they are familiar with hence Android, BB, etc...press a button get results.

    I was at a Sprint store and a guy was returning his Pre and the first thing he told me was that this is a dumb phone how do they expect anyone to use it without at least a back button. I had my Evo in my hand and I took his Pre and attempted show him how to operate it, he didn't want anything to do with it because it didn't have buttons.

    Palm may have a cool OS but with its attempt to be a cool intuitive OS and try to reinvent the phone in its image by removing the buttons that the average person is familiar with I think this will always alienate the masses.
  20. #40  
    Originally posted by kinster02

    . . .Palm may have a cool OS but with its attempt to be a cool intuitive OS and try to reinvent the phone in its image by removing the buttons that the average person is familiar with I think this will always alienate the masses.
    I don't think buttons are the answer. If that were true, no one would own iPhones. I don't see a bunch of buttons on it. I think WebOS 2 needs better advertisement and for the carrier sales staff to at least have a basic cursory knowledge of the device. Oh, and good hardware.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions